Author Topic: OUT WITH THE OLD VW. IN WITH THE SUBARU  (Read 49810 times)

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
Re: OUT WITH THE OLD VW. IN WITH THE SUBARU
« Reply #240 on: June 29, 2017, 07:44:08 PM »
 this is a shot in the dark but have you by chance checked your throttle pos senser (tps)?  i only ask because if it  was way off and was telling the ecu you were wot at half throttle....maybe?? the odd part that still sets me back to mechanical timing is the cracking and popping when it hits this ghost rev limit.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2017, 07:46:56 PM by dsrace »
" the less talent they have, the more pride, vanity and arrogance they have. All these fools, however, find other fools who applauded them " .    ERASMUS 1509

Offline sandvw

• Fabricator
« Reply #241 on: June 29, 2017, 08:52:39 PM »
Check the timing belt first.

Offline big dave

« Reply #242 on: July 03, 2017, 07:35:34 AM »
Are they ran parallel to each other or as twisted pairs? I know they need to be twisted pairs or bad stuff can happen. I don't know if any of this is related to your rpm limiting though.Do I recall you saying the ecm reads out a set 3800 rpm limit or that is all it will rev to?
just to be safe. I ran new wire all the back to the ecm. twisted pair shielded wire. grounded the shields at the ecm.  no change. I will be looking at timing belt next. as for the tps. it has always looked rock solid on all the trends I have ran on it and cal. position fine.

Offline big dave

« Reply #243 on: July 03, 2017, 07:36:13 AM »
Check the timing belt first.
It sounds like the next step.

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #244 on: July 03, 2017, 09:11:42 AM »
all good possibilities but i'm still leaning toward mechanical timing screwing up electrical timing.
" the less talent they have, the more pride, vanity and arrogance they have. All these fools, however, find other fools who applauded them " .    ERASMUS 1509

Offline DeepBusch69

« Reply #245 on: July 03, 2017, 02:03:02 PM »
if the belt looks good, you should give John @ Outfront a call.  5 minutes and he might get you right to the issue.  He is very helpful, even if you haven't bought any parts from him! 

Offline big dave

« Reply #246 on: July 03, 2017, 03:35:17 PM »
if the belt looks good, you should give John @ Outfront a call.  5 minutes and he might get you right to the issue.  He is very helpful, even if you haven't bought any parts from him!
I did buy all the intercooler set up from him. he was very help at that time. I hate to give up on this ecu. but thought has crossed my mind, just to buy one out right from john. time will tell. one thing I have is time.

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #247 on: July 24, 2017, 11:50:41 AM »
soooo????

Offline big dave

« Reply #248 on: July 24, 2017, 02:15:04 PM »
soooo????
well ya. still the same. just can't seem to find the time and will power lately!!. its been to hot out in the shop.  95 - 104 for the last two weeks. desk job has softened  me up. I cant take the heat anymore.

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #249 on: July 25, 2017, 09:40:36 AM »
well ya. still the same. just can't seem to find the time and will power lately!!. its been to hot out in the shop.  95 - 104 for the last two weeks. desk job has softened  me up. I cant take the heat anymore.

this is why my garage/shop has air conditioning and i keep it set at 74* while i am out there. even on a 100* day as long as i turn it on by 8 am it will keep it 74* in there and the comp will cycle on and off like it should. costs me $40 more per month ( in the real hot months ) on electric bill to run it that way!
« Last Edit: July 25, 2017, 09:43:00 AM by dsrace »

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #250 on: July 25, 2017, 10:36:22 AM »
My shop is heated and cooled 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. I'd never build a thing if it weren't.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline big dave

« Reply #251 on: July 25, 2017, 11:47:37 AM »
Dam I'm going to have to step up my game.  giggity

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #252 on: July 25, 2017, 02:31:55 PM »
i have a wall unit that is heat and air. small hotel  or largest home unit lol i have a wood stove for the winter as well. hell its usually warmer out there than in the house lol

Offline big dave

« Reply #253 on: July 31, 2017, 07:01:40 AM »
Good news. weather was in the 80s this weekend. so out to the shop I went. I finally conceded to the thought that the tune was the problem. I dumped the old tune back in the ecu. NO more 3800 rpm limiting. took the car for a river run Sunday. it will pull 4th gear know. and come up on boost. never limited at 3800 rpm.  it still needs a little tuning but at this point I feel it can at least play. it still does not make the power of my old vw turbo. but I thank with some tweaking on the tune it will be real close to it. happy happy happy.

Offline Punkur67

« Reply #254 on: July 31, 2017, 08:57:00 AM »
Very cool. Glad to hear.
Its better to be a smartass than a dumbass!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal