Author Topic: OUT WITH THE OLD VW. IN WITH THE SUBARU  (Read 49814 times)

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
Re: OUT WITH THE OLD VW. IN WITH THE SUBARU
« Reply #225 on: June 28, 2017, 03:28:53 PM »
the craziest part is its didnt do it when you unhooked the cam sensor. but then after running it a while with cam sensor unplugged it started doing it again. so it ran better in limp mode but then it must have re learned or its a mechanical issue and its coming apart or your timing belt jumped a tooth. just my thoughts
" the less talent they have, the more pride, vanity and arrogance they have. All these fools, however, find other fools who applauded them " .    ERASMUS 1509

Offline big dave

« Reply #226 on: June 28, 2017, 04:23:48 PM »
so big dave.......when it acts like it hits the rev limiter, does it spit and pop a tiny bit like rev limiter mixed with small miss or tiny back fire?   also, in your ecm.......is there a setting for auto or manual trans? if so is the gear based map selection? if so could it be stuck in N map?
The ECU sets a rev, limit. It will flag that in the fault codes. it pop and cracks. there is no auto/manual trans. function in the Ecu

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #227 on: June 28, 2017, 04:55:39 PM »
if it pops and cracks a bit when it hits that rev limit , i bet your timing belt slipped a tooth or 2.
" the less talent they have, the more pride, vanity and arrogance they have. All these fools, however, find other fools who applauded them " .    ERASMUS 1509

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #228 on: June 28, 2017, 04:57:25 PM »
thats what sucks about belts vs timing chains. turn that motor backwards by accident and you run the risk of jumping a tooth.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #229 on: June 28, 2017, 07:29:22 PM »
the craziest part is its didnt do it when you unhooked the cam sensor. but then after running it a while with cam sensor unplugged it started doing it again. so it ran better in limp mode but then it must have re learned or its a mechanical issue and its coming apart or your timing belt jumped a tooth. just my thoughts
This is why I don't suspect a slipped tooth. If it was a slipped tooth it wouldn't run better in limp mode even for a moment.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2017, 07:35:18 PM by fabr »
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #230 on: June 28, 2017, 07:39:06 PM »
that's what sucks about belts vs timing chains. turn that motor backwards by accident and you run the risk of jumping a tooth.
I assume a subi belt is hydraulically tensioned? If so,don't you guys replace it with a manual tensioner for performance applications?
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline DeepBusch69

« Reply #231 on: June 28, 2017, 08:51:40 PM »
I assume a subi belt is hydraulically tensioned? If so,don't you guys replace it with a manual tensioner for performance applications?

I run the stock hydraulic tensioner, it is pretty stout, but I did add a part from outback that limits the space round the belt, so it makes it hard to jump a tooth. 

Offline Carlriddle

• Another build? What are you thinking?
« Reply #232 on: June 29, 2017, 06:03:40 AM »
You can keep your CHANGE, I'd like to keep my DOLLAR.

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #233 on: June 29, 2017, 06:58:29 AM »
This is why I don't suspect a slipped tooth. If it was a slipped tooth it wouldn't run better in limp mode even for a moment.

i would tend to agree, however , big dave did replace the timing belt i believe before he fired the motor off for the first time. that link ecu requires he teach it the timing of the motor so he had to sinq it with the crank sensor on set up before he started it. if it skipped a tooth that could be as a possiblilty.

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #234 on: June 29, 2017, 06:58:47 AM »

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #235 on: June 29, 2017, 11:42:59 AM »
i would tend to agree, however , big dave did replace the timing belt i believe before he fired the motor off for the first time. that link ecu requires he teach it the timing of the motor so he had to sinq it with the crank sensor on set up before he started it. if it skipped a tooth that could be as a possiblilty.
It would never run right if there was a skipped tooth. Never.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #236 on: June 29, 2017, 11:47:09 AM »
It does sound like the cam sensor is involved somehow.Whether it is the sensor itself or perhaps electrical noise in the harness causing the issue. Is the cam sensor wire ran anywhere close to a plug wire/coil/parallel with other wiring? I know noise is a big ,big issue with efi.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #237 on: June 29, 2017, 12:44:00 PM »
well he did say this motor has never had the power he hoped for. so like that busa motor i had......it was off 1 tooth and made it run like a dog. eventually it started sort of back firing out the intake on decel. always started always ran just ran like i had an anchor hanging out the back.                             but good question  on cam wiring next to coil wires or coil. also brings up another question........is your ecu case grounded? i drilled a hole in my case and soldered a wire into it then ran that to batt ground. mine was built to be held in a metal bracket that was grounded to the car chassis. i cannot do the same in my trunck....instead i used velcro which helps reduce vibration too.

Offline big dave

« Reply #238 on: June 29, 2017, 01:23:34 PM »
thanks for all the feed back on this problem. I have replaced both the cam and crank sensors. the sensing wires run  away from all coil and plug wires. the sensor wires do run in a common harness back to the ecm.  I tested all ground with ohm meter thy seem to be fine. I found at first, if I unplugged the cam sensor after staring the motor it would run to 6500 rpm. Sooooo. I had to go play!!!. ran it two days on the sand, with a switch on the cam sensor. switching the cam sensor off, after start up it would run  ok. The 3rd day  it would stay in the rev limit status. with the switch in ether position. I have not looked at it since  then. I needed a break. that or it was a can of gas and a flame thrower.   giggity Sarcasm.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #239 on: June 29, 2017, 04:43:16 PM »
thanks for all the feed back on this problem. I have replaced both the cam and crank sensors. the sensing wires run  away from all coil and plug wires. the sensor wires do run in a common harness back to the ecm.  I tested all ground with ohm meter thy seem to be fine. I found at first, if I unplugged the cam sensor after staring the motor it would run to 6500 rpm. Sooooo. I had to go play!!!. ran it two days on the sand, with a switch on the cam sensor. switching the cam sensor off, after start up it would run  ok. The 3rd day  it would stay in the rev limit status. with the switch in ether position. I have not looked at it since  then. I needed a break. that or it was a can of gas and a flame thrower.   giggity Sarcasm.
Are they ran parallel to each other or as twisted pairs? I know they need to be twisted pairs or bad stuff can happen. I don't know if any of this is related to your rpm limiting though.Do I recall you saying the ecm reads out a set 3800 rpm limit or that is all it will rev to?
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal