Author Topic: OUT WITH THE OLD VW. IN WITH THE SUBARU  (Read 49698 times)

Offline Punkur67

Re: OUT WITH THE OLD VW. IN WITH THE SUBARU
« Reply #150 on: March 29, 2017, 02:23:42 PM »
How big are the internal pump passages? Unless running some monster ,"race style",the internal passages are rather small.
If you were asking me the pump has a connection to push on a 1/2" hose (-8) that is part of the housing that can not be changed.
Its better to be a smartass than a dumbass!

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #151 on: March 29, 2017, 03:23:38 PM »
the walbor 450 e85 pump i selected/oredered has an 10mm or 3/8" inlet outlet ID according to there site. i don't have it yet but should this week to view personally.  now ....the 130lb inj's i purchased for e85 require a bit more flow than pump gas or race fuel. hence the larger pump but if i reduced that down to 5/16" to the motor i would reduce flow a bit. how much....i would have to test that and don't have the equipment but no matter what if the outlet is 3/8" i will step up to 1/2" from there to the motor. it's an in tank pump. now bo ....scott smiths friend, he was having fueling issues and stepped up from 3/8" to 1/2" and problem solved. the other issue that i do not know if it was fixed at the same time is that he was using to filters. a 60 micron and a 40 micron pre and post pump. small bodied aem filters. if he canged those at the same time that could've been his restriction point. i don't think he did though. i know he has changed them to  a single 10 micron post filter like i and enemy run from fast systems. speedway sells them locally. 4 models, 250 - 300 gph flow rate at 10 and 4 micron ratings, screw on filters the size of an oil filter similar to one on the gm 3.8 series II engines or gm 5.7 v8 engine.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2017, 03:41:01 PM by dsrace »
" the less talent they have, the more pride, vanity and arrogance they have. All these fools, however, find other fools who applauded them " .    ERASMUS 1509

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #152 on: March 29, 2017, 05:24:23 PM »
If you were asking me the pump has a connection to push on a 1/2" hose (-8) that is part of the housing that can not be changed.
What I was getting at was  most people today are using walbro or similar pumps. They may have larger connections but the inlet and outlet internal passages are actually pretty small. In the old days of low pressure carburetor systems we needed 1/2 or even larger to supply an adequate fuel supply. With EFI and much higher pressures ,the line sizes can and frequently are,much smaller. The days of needing huge pumps and lines are gone. Still ,many people will run large lines unnecessarily. I was not saying you were.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #153 on: March 29, 2017, 05:38:53 PM »
the walbor 450 e85 pump i selected/oredered has an 10mm or 3/8" inlet outlet ID according to there site. i don't have it yet but should this week to view personally.  now ....the 130lb inj's i purchased for e85 require a bit more flow than pump gas or race fuel. hence the larger pump but if i reduced that down to 5/16" to the motor i would reduce flow a bit. how much....i would have to test that and don't have the equipment but no matter what if the outlet is 3/8" i will step up to 1/2" from there to the motor.Many people do but is not needed.It won't hurt anything but is truly not needed. it's an in tank pump. now bo ....scott smiths friend, he was having fueling issues and stepped up from 3/8" to 1/2" and problem solved. the other issue that i do not know if it was fixed at the same time is that he was using to filters. a 60 micron and a 40 micron pre and post pump. small bodied aem filters. if he canged those at the same time that could've been his restriction point.Bingo and too many transition fittings also restrict flow. MANY fittings have much smaller passages as well. Many times it's the AN fittings restricting flow and not line size but larger hose size is necessary to allow the fitting ID to be at least 3/8" which is plenty.Choose your AN fittings carefully and large lines aren't really needed at all. i don't think he did though. i know he has changed them to  a single 10 micron post filter like i and enemy run from fast systems. speedway sells them locally. 4 models, 250 - 300 gph flow rate at 10 and 4 micron ratings, screw on filters the size of an oil filter similar to one on the gm 3.8 series II engines or gm 5.7 v8 engine.
The Fast TBI I'm using,rated at 1200 hp max with it's 8 injectors only use 2,-6 inlets and I am using 1,1/2" feed line with a 3/8 return with around 700 HP on e85 but is still plenty big enough to feed 1200 hp on gas. Bottom line is ,use full bore size fittings and larger filters with reasonable size hoses is all that is needed.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Punkur67

« Reply #154 on: March 29, 2017, 10:05:31 PM »
What I was getting at was  most people today are using walbro or similar pumps. They may have larger connections but the inlet and outlet internal passages are actually pretty small. In the old days of low pressure carburetor systems we needed 1/2 or even larger to supply an adequate fuel supply. With EFI and much higher pressures ,the line sizes can and frequently are,much smaller. The days of needing huge pumps and lines are gone. Still ,many people will run large lines unnecessarily. I was not saying you were.
Gotcha.

Offline big dave

« Reply #155 on: April 03, 2017, 07:42:29 AM »
here is what the little engine, has in her, on the dyno. the car sure runs a lot better with the bigger injectors.  have to put it in the sand to see if its as much as the old VW had. BOY,,,, CAN I SEE A 2.5 IN THE FUTURE. This one will work for some ride time. 
« Last Edit: April 03, 2017, 03:23:30 PM by big dave »

Offline Punkur67

« Reply #156 on: April 03, 2017, 08:51:43 PM »
here is what the little engine, has in her, on the dyno. the car sure runs a lot better with the bigger injectors.  have to put it in the sand to see if its as much as the old VW had. BOY,,,, CAN I SEE A 2.5 IN THE FUTURE. This one will work for some ride time.
The cool thing it going to a 2.5 is an easy swap (as long as the trans can handle the power)

Offline big dave

« Reply #157 on: April 04, 2017, 06:02:01 AM »
The cool thing it going to a 2.5 is an easy swap (as long as the trans can handle the power)
Ya, that was always the plan. in the back of my mind. the price was right on the 2.0. all I need is time!!! oh ya and lots of money. lol. its time to play the 2.0 will make for a good time this year.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #158 on: April 04, 2017, 06:15:40 AM »
That it will!
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline DeepBusch69

« Reply #159 on: April 04, 2017, 09:20:57 AM »
You will love the pull of the 2.0 when the turbo kicks in.  I was looking at the graph, and thought it said 120 mph, wow.  But it was kph.  Are you heading down to lil Sahara in early May with us? 

Offline big dave

« Reply #160 on: April 04, 2017, 12:49:42 PM »
You will love the pull of the 2.0 when the turbo kicks in.  I was looking at the graph, and thought it said 120 mph, wow.  But it was kph.  Are you heading down to lil Sahara in early May with us?
if all goes well.  yes

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #161 on: April 04, 2017, 03:43:36 PM »
did he give you a print out you can post that graphs rpm?

i hope to make an early may trip but that will be a last min trip for me. my daughter get married this weekend and the rail is back on it's wheels but motor is still not together. and won't be able to work on it this weekend ...not with out a lot of hell to pay anyway  lol
" the less talent they have, the more pride, vanity and arrogance they have. All these fools, however, find other fools who applauded them " .    ERASMUS 1509

Offline big dave

« Reply #162 on: April 05, 2017, 06:30:39 AM »
did he give you a print out you can post that graphs rpm?

i hope to make an early may trip but that will be a last min trip for me. my daughter get married this weekend and the rail is back on it's wheels but motor is still not together. and won't be able to work on it this weekend ...not with out a lot of hell to pay anyway  lol
No he did not give me a print out. but then aging I did not ask. hope you can make it in may.

Offline big dave

« Reply #163 on: April 05, 2017, 06:31:30 AM »
were is the group camping at. the dates ????

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #164 on: April 05, 2017, 09:39:41 AM »
well i hope i can too lol and not sure of the dates. i think sandracer1 picked them but his other daughter is due to deliver his new grandchild on those dates so hes not going now.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal