Author Topic: OUT WITH THE OLD VW. IN WITH THE SUBARU  (Read 49697 times)

Offline big dave

Re: OUT WITH THE OLD VW. IN WITH THE SUBARU
« Reply #120 on: January 17, 2017, 06:46:28 AM »
will the dyno run, a some weak spots. aka the clutch. I used my old clutch and presser plate from the vw. looked good and felt good with the vw. but slipped when boost comes in, on dyno.  So parts on order. the local dyno guy, was have problems with the tach on his dyno. so no real good numbers on the run.  100 hp was peck but as boost would come in it would flat line right there. I'm sure these numbers will be better when the car is right.  motor sound good and strong. new flywheel clutch and pressure plate will be in Thursday. guess, I know what I'm doing this weekend.

Offline Punkur67

« Reply #121 on: January 17, 2017, 08:25:11 AM »
I had a new cush lock and KEP stage 3 on my 2.0 and it was not enough clutch. First drive down the street the clutch went up in smoke when I hit the throttle hard. Talked to the shop who built the motor and they recommended a 6 puck clutch with a stage 2 or 3 pressure plate. I never had issue after that.
The new motor has a dual disk clutch but those are spendy!
Its better to be a smartass than a dumbass!

Offline big dave

« Reply #122 on: January 17, 2017, 09:17:03 AM »
I had a new cush lock and KEP stage 3 on my 2.0 and it was not enough clutch. First drive down the street the clutch went up in smoke when I hit the throttle hard. Talked to the shop who built the motor and they recommended a 6 puck clutch with a stage 2 or 3 pressure plate. I never had issue after that.
that's what I ordered. 6 puck and stage 3. I was running a 4 puck on a stage 3 before. I must of smoked it out in Idaho. it had some hot spots. but looked like it would be ok. oh well it happens. 

Offline DeepBusch69

« Reply #123 on: January 17, 2017, 09:36:22 AM »
Had a cush lock clutch once, more Cush than lock.  Smoked it first trip with turbo VW.  6 puck now with stage 2.  Is the stage 3 hard to push in?  Not sure if my old knee would like it? 

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #124 on: January 17, 2017, 09:54:15 AM »
i just purchased a dual disc with stage 2 press plate. kep says good to 525 ft lbs in an 8" flywheel. expensive but full circle with cush center and softest pedal!!
" the less talent they have, the more pride, vanity and arrogance they have. All these fools, however, find other fools who applauded them " .    ERASMUS 1509

Offline Punkur67

« Reply #125 on: January 17, 2017, 10:24:00 AM »
Had a cush lock clutch once, more Cush than lock.  Smoked it first trip with turbo VW.  6 puck now with stage 2.  Is the stage 3 hard to push in?  Not sure if my old knee would like it?
Not hard at all if you have a hydraulic slave. Cable operated is a whole different story

Offline big dave

« Reply #126 on: January 17, 2017, 10:29:26 AM »

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #127 on: January 18, 2017, 06:07:20 PM »
and thats why i went dual disc lol i bet once you get that engine tuned you will be pleased!
" the less talent they have, the more pride, vanity and arrogance they have. All these fools, however, find other fools who applauded them " .    ERASMUS 1509

Offline big dave

« Reply #128 on: January 23, 2017, 12:44:56 PM »
what is the amp draw on each of those fans?
I can finally answer this question for you. the fans on the radiator carry 6 amp each and the one on the intercooler is 5 amps. the car running with fans on is 34 amps at the alternator. stock alternator is good for 85 amps. I'm running two fans per 20 amp relay. it should all be good.

Offline sandvw

• Fabricator
« Reply #129 on: January 23, 2017, 05:58:02 PM »

I am running one in my short star. Ran it for 13 years and had to change transmissions up in Idaho. I sent it in to Kennedy and the clutch has only worn down 10 thousands. They said run it. I could have made another spacer they said and made it 10 thousands thicker but he said no need.

Offline big dave

« Reply #130 on: January 24, 2017, 06:32:49 AM »
I am running one in my short star. Ran it for 13 years and had to change transmissions up in Idaho. I sent it in to Kennedy and the clutch has only worn down 10 thousands. They said run it. I could have made another spacer they said and made it 10 thousands thicker but he said no need.
what is Kennedys rebuild plan. I have 3 old clutches. I have been thanking about sending in, but was not sure it was worth the time.

Offline sandvw

• Fabricator
« Reply #131 on: January 24, 2017, 02:23:07 PM »
It is cheaper to rebuild I heard. Call and have them give you a price.

Offline Punkur67

« Reply #132 on: February 10, 2017, 09:09:16 AM »
Any updates bigdave?

Offline big dave

« Reply #133 on: February 13, 2017, 07:26:09 AM »
Well,,, long story short, I found that my injectors were to small for the boost I want. so I'm putting my old injection system on the car. I should have did this from the start. but was being hard headed about using the ecu and wiring that came with the motor. this past weekend, I and friends were able to finish up the engine cage. I had to widen the fuel rails to fit the Subaru  motor as well. and build some bushing for the intake runners  to the new injectors. hope to rewire the thing next weekend.

Offline Punkur67

« Reply #134 on: February 13, 2017, 07:52:48 AM »
I just pulled a set of billet fuel rails off my motor this weekend if you are interested.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal