Author Topic: rack and pinion  (Read 2996 times)

bitmatt

rack and pinion
« on: June 05, 2012, 04:53:21 PM »
hi guys i was looking at these http://www.dansperformanceparts.com/buggy/susp/buggysusp%20rack&pinion.htm and was wondering if anyone had experience with them and knows how they hold up? and i would like to know how do i figure the         rack and pinion lenght i need?

trans man

Re: rack and pinion
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2012, 05:50:38 PM »
The first 3 racks on there are junk for any hard core offroading.( go-kart racks) thumb down thumb down thumb down

The rest of the racks below them are fine.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2012, 07:55:26 PM »
The entire front suspension must be designed to work together. Seriously, there has been a LOT written about and discussed here  but unless you wish to spend the time to learn it all(there is a LOT to learn) I'd suggest you just invest in a set of buggy plans of the size you are wanting and save yourself a ton of headaches.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Lance-W

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2012, 08:19:42 PM »
The first 3 racks on there are junk for any hard core offroading.( go-kart racks) thumb down thumb down thumb down

The rest of the racks below them are fine.

Sorry I disagree.  The cheapo ones have worked fine for us.  We have an 8.5" in the single seater that we have beat the crap out of for 3 years and it's still just fine?  I'm running an 11" one in the Barra2uda.  I have no worries about it.  If by chance it does crap out after awhile I'll just buy another.  At $~100 a pop they're disposable.

Offline Carlriddle

• Another build? What are you thinking?
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2012, 05:56:05 AM »
Sorry I disagree.  The cheapo ones have worked fine for us.  We have an 8.5" in the single seater that we have beat the crap out of for 3 years and it's still just fine?  I'm running an 11" one in the Barra2uda.  I have no worries about it.  If by chance it does crap out after awhile I'll just buy another.  At $~100 a pop they're disposable.

You just haven't found the right witch's eye yet,  rofl.  I had 8.5" and it broke where the bolts hold it to frame.  3hr and I had made a bandaid that I rode for another day or so. 

But if you want a serious narrow buggy, centerload with a very narrow spreader bar would be the way.
You can keep your CHANGE, I'd like to keep my DOLLAR.

trans man

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2012, 05:04:26 PM »
You just haven't found the right witch's eye yet,  rofl.  I had 8.5" and it broke where the bolts hold it to frame.
+1 I've destroyed them too Carl. 8) 8) 8)
« Last Edit: June 06, 2012, 05:08:51 PM by trans man »

trans man

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2012, 05:06:33 PM »
At $~100 a pop they're disposable.
You had better carry a couple of them with you then. :-X :-X :-X

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2012, 07:55:10 PM »
I think Lance runs mostly desert and hasn't stuck a tire in a witches eye. I think he has bent a wheel or 2 on rocks or something though.  Not nearly the same thing . A rock just bashes the shit out of stuff while an eye wants to rip the whole a arm off the car. LOL!! As mentioned in another thread,it all depends on application.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

bitmatt

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2012, 09:52:32 PM »
You just haven't found the right witch's eye yet,  rofl.  I had 8.5" and it broke where the bolts hold it to frame.  3hr and I had made a bandaid that I rode for another day or so. 

But if you want a serious narrow buggy, centerload with a very narrow spreader bar would be the way.
would anybody be really nice and tell me what this means: centerload with a very narrow spreader bar
thanks

Offline Carlriddle

• Another build? What are you thinking?
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2012, 05:32:31 AM »
Go back to the page you linked in first post.  Near the bottom are a few center load racks, the part that moves the tierods is in center of rack instead of at end.  You us a spreader bar to move that pivot point out to as wide as you need to do away with bumpsteer. 
You can keep your CHANGE, I'd like to keep my DOLLAR.

Offline fastcorvairs

• Lifetime VIP
  • If it is worth doing!!!!!! Do it in the sand
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2012, 06:32:54 AM »
would anybody be really nice and tell me what this means: centerload with a very narrow spreader bar
thanks end quote]

Here is a center load rack with a spreader.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 06:34:32 AM by fastcorvairs »

If I believe I cannot do something it makes me incapable of doing it. But when I believe that I can, then I acquire the ability to do it , even if I didn't have it at the beginning.

Offline fastcorvairs

• Lifetime VIP
  • If it is worth doing!!!!!! Do it in the sand
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2012, 06:35:18 AM »
Here is and end load rack.

If I believe I cannot do something it makes me incapable of doing it. But when I believe that I can, then I acquire the ability to do it , even if I didn't have it at the beginning.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2012, 06:52:40 AM »
The spreader is a custom piece that allows bringing in line the pivot points of the tie rods and  the upper and lower a arms to make it possible to eliminate bump steer. 
  If you use an end load rack you MUST design your suspension around it.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal