Author Topic: Smooth'en out the bumps  (Read 13521 times)

Offline Carlriddle

• Another build? What are you thinking?
Re: Smooth'en out the bumps
« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2011, 07:47:54 PM »
Not a lot done this week other than searching internet for parts.  Parts that I cant seem to find.  The spindles I got from DS are setup to VW linkpin hubs.  Was going to turn the brake drum off and mount a small rotor, but too many roadblocks.

So I butchered the spindles, cut off spindle stub redrilled the spindle uprights to recess the new spindle stubs in.  These are from a mid 80's mazda.  They use a bolt on rotor so swapping out for the size I need should be easy.  Going to put hem on a little diet on the lathe to shave a pound or two.  This setup is about 4lbs heavier than the atv setup I was running, but I saved more than that by useing the Fox shocks over the coilovers I had. 

Also got the lower tie rod mount tacked in.  They will wrap from back to side and be boxed.  Shouls be strong.  Hopfully more done tomm as the snow should shut down everything. rofl
« Last Edit: January 09, 2011, 07:53:36 PM by Carlriddle »
You can keep your CHANGE, I'd like to keep my DOLLAR.

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2011, 09:05:24 PM »
what did you do!!!!!!!!!!;D      I hope the mazda spindle work and are as strong as the chromoly link pins you cut off. from the hub face to the upright looks like a lot of clearance for the rim. the origanal upright wouldn't have fit with a hub on it?  good to see your getting it figured out but I thought you were going to re-drill the link pin hub for your existing front rotor at your friends place, what changed your mind?
" the less talent they have, the more pride, vanity and arrogance they have. All these fools, however, find other fools who applauded them " .    ERASMUS 1509

Offline Carlriddle

« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2011, 05:10:08 AM »
They only way I could get link pin hub was to order new, china or brazil.  rofl  I did find conversion bearings to use ball joint hub on link pin spindle, only made by empi it seems.  The biggest problem was trying to fit all this in the 12" atv wheels.  I think they will hold up as I'm less than a 1/3 of vehicle weight.  Hopfully.

Offline Carlriddle

« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2011, 03:24:50 PM »
Well just as I thought 6" of white powder has completly shut down NW Ga.  bs1 But  it gave me a day to fab up the steering arms onto the spindles.  Very time consuming but dont want your steering all screwed up.  Need to do a tad of clearancing so that I can get full angle both up and down and to left and right.  Then little touch with the flap wheel or blaster.  Pickup some hi-angle steering heims.  It doesn't use spacers, the ball is made with it.  Good for 65* total.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2011, 03:29:16 PM by Carlriddle »

Offline Voodoochikin04

• Vip Eye candy Supplier!!
  • VIP
« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2011, 12:04:15 PM »
i seen speedway motors started selling those heims.. basically a larger heim with a ball for a smaller bolt.. pretty nifty.
"it's only when you have lost everything, that your free to do anything"

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2011, 08:26:53 PM »
Well just as I thought 6" of white powder has completly shut down NW Ga.  bs1 But  it gave me a day to fab up the steering arms onto the spindles.  Very time consuming but dont want your steering all screwed up.  Need to do a tad of clearancing so that I can get full angle both up and down and to left and right.  Then little touch with the flap wheel or blaster.  Pickup some hi-angle steering heims.  It doesn't use spacers, the ball is made with it.  Good for 65* total.

got a pic? I think I know what you've bought.
" the less talent they have, the more pride, vanity and arrogance they have. All these fools, however, find other fools who applauded them " .    ERASMUS 1509

Offline Carlriddle

« Reply #36 on: January 17, 2011, 06:20:01 AM »
Heres the rod ends, while not cheap at like $27 ea they allowed a tad more angle.  Mounted horizontal along with the steering mount on the spindle tilted up 7* will allow the front to droop easy 40* with some to spare.  Sux having to build parts only to measure to be able to order more parts, tie rods probably Tuesday.  The new hubs should be ready by end of week rotors next week maybe.  Brakes 1st of February???

trans man

« Reply #37 on: January 18, 2011, 11:12:03 PM »
Heres the rod ends, while not cheap at like $27 ea they allowed a tad more angle.  Mounted horizontal along with the steering mount on the spindle tilted up 7* will allow the front to droop easy 40* with some to spare.  Sux having to build parts only to measure to be able to order more parts, tie rods probably Tuesday.  The new hubs should be ready by end of week rotors next week maybe.  Brakes 1st of February???
Cool!!!  ;D ;D ;D Are they available in chormoly?

Offline Carlriddle

« Reply #38 on: January 19, 2011, 05:47:30 AM »

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #39 on: January 19, 2011, 07:26:29 PM »
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

trans man

« Reply #40 on: January 19, 2011, 07:45:59 PM »
Close, but close only counts in horse shoes and hand grenades. ;D ;D ;D

Offline Engineer

• Inquisitor
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #41 on: January 19, 2011, 08:35:14 PM »
Looking good Carl!

Offline Carlriddle

« Reply #42 on: January 20, 2011, 06:17:36 AM »
I'm only using for steering heims.  5/8 chrom heims from DS for the arms.  The cheap ass endload rack will break before those steering heims.  Already shopping for a replacement rack.  Wifey pulled back on my spending reigns just a bit at the moment.

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #43 on: January 20, 2011, 09:30:06 AM »
Close, but close only counts in horse shoes and hand grenades. ;D ;D ;D
4130 and 4135 are both considered as cromo.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Carlriddle

« Reply #44 on: January 23, 2011, 04:25:44 PM »
Finally made a little head way; got the steering heim mounted after a little clearancing on spindle.  Got the new aluminum tie rods from Speedway  jj: nice, made some clevis ends for inner tie rods.  Had to buy some more nuts and washers, some more nuts and washers, and I need to go back for 2 more of ea.  bs1  Found some 1/2 spacers at Ace to make some longer ones for the Fox shocks.  Took front hubs rear ones too to machine guy next to me at work.  They going on a Jenny Craig diet.  Hoping to shave 10 lbs of of them.  Loosing weight is like adding hp, kinda.  Got some new front brake rotors coming laser cut to fit for what local steel yard want for steel blank for one side.  Fookin robbers!! 9:  Also added a new side bar from upper front going to the back.  First I always thought it looked goofy as hell top heavy.  I'm tall as hell but buggy doesn't have to look so.  Plus I think it adds lots of needed strength if I landed nose first which could be on my to do list now.  Also added some foot steps to side as the side panel body work will be going on too.  It will be vinyl wrapprd bad ass graphic something.  No pics of it til after May dune trip, surprise!! LMAO LMAO   Hopfully a couple weeks I'll have rotors and can take for its test ride.  ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal