Author Topic: How do you strap your ride down?  (Read 5266 times)

Rick S.

Re: How do you strap your ride down?
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2009, 07:03:52 AM »
I usually haul 2 buggies in the enclosed trailer. I strap them tire to tire (to each other) in the center. Then I strap the front buggy from the frame between the front a arms to the floor cleats. (one on each side) The rear buggy is strapped from the rear frame to the floor cleats (also one each side) I just use the cheap motorcycle straps, not even the ratchet type. I've never had a problem with this. I did have a strap break once, but by using two you still have the other side. I don't think I'd do it this way if it were not an enclosed trailer though. Before I got into buggies I hauled 4 quads in this trailer strapped together the same way. I also make sure that the buggies or quads are all in neutral. It just seems to me that leaving them in gear might be hard on the trans.

Offline fastcorvairs

• Lifetime VIP
  • If it is worth doing!!!!!! Do it in the sand
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2009, 08:59:41 AM »
I also make sure that the buggies or quads are all in neutral. It just seems to me that leaving them in gear might be hard on the trans.

Rick
Good point on leaving the ride in neutral.

Any over head cam motor that has timing belts or chains can be damaged buy leaving them in gear while towing. The force applied to the belts or chains is multiplied  ten fold Thur the trans and has been know to shear timing chain keyways and brake timing chains and belts.  Big time on the subi motors.  Wants to make them jump a tooth on the timing belt.  All so on the short star v6's. The timing chain's are real small.  Been know to break reverse on the vw's to.  The constant back and forth movement wants to rock the crank back and forth. putting undo strain on every thing.  Know guy's that drive there buggy's on a trailer and head of the the dunes and when they get there the car wont start. 

If I believe I cannot do something it makes me incapable of doing it. But when I believe that I can, then I acquire the ability to do it , even if I didn't have it at the beginning.

Offline Dunebound69

• Time flies when drinking rum!
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2009, 08:17:33 PM »
Use four straps 2 at each end. When building the chassis welded in tie down tabs. Each strap 2" wide with spring loaded safety hooks, Cross the straps to stop side to side motion. Set them pretty tight. In an enclosed trailer. Never leave the car in gear. Did it once, could hardly get it out of gear at the end of the trip.
Time flies when having rum!
Famous last words, Watch this
Government can not give you anything it dose not take from someone else first. When we stop laughing we start dying.
"When you stop doing things for fun you might as well be dead" Hemingway

Offline Wyattboche

« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2009, 09:34:51 PM »
I use bungies like the truckers use to hold down the tarps on there trailers. Cant go wrong with that. If that doesn't work over sized zip ties work also.  ;D :o

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2009, 05:56:05 AM »
I use wet noodles.When dry they are quite solid.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

SPEC

« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2009, 08:07:57 AM »
Ta hell with that...just close the gate and let er roll around...

SPEC

« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2009, 08:16:20 AM »
Back in my roundy round days we always had D-rings in the floor at all 4 corners of the cars, and used the tire webs...Letting the cars suspension cycle, while the tires were secured to the deck of the trailer...Never lost one that way...but the car's suspension did get that many miles of wear hauling to and from the tracks...
There was a bonus to that tho-
Jumpin Johnny Zimmer mounted a couple of video cameras on the trailer and we watched the suspension cycle ;D
This was in the late 80's and early 90's so the in car cameras were extremely spendy in those days...Poor mans in car camera's ;D

Offline Dunebound69

• Time flies when drinking rum!
« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2009, 07:36:06 AM »
I have used the tire webs. For me they came off every time. Still have them but do not care to use them. I think the tires I was tying to were to short. And your rig seems to need to be set up for just the right spot so the web pulls straight down.
Time flies when having rum!
Famous last words, Watch this
Government can not give you anything it dose not take from someone else first. When we stop laughing we start dying.
"When you stop doing things for fun you might as well be dead" Hemingway

SPEC

« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2009, 07:52:17 AM »
I could see it if you had ANY SLACK in the web or if the D-rings weren't placed in the right spots... I always marked the contact patch and installed the rings that way 8)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal