Author Topic: Upgrades to the 97 Powerstroke  (Read 11121 times)

Offline BDKW1

Re: Upgrades to the 97 Powerstroke
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2014, 03:53:17 PM »
eff the clutch pedal. Allison all the way!

LAst trip through the mountians pulling about 13K trailer I got 10.5MPG, and I was not holding anybody up. The auto's can't touch that on milage. It will be interesting to see what I get on the drive back to Kansas, with everything in the trailer it's going to be about 20K............ Can't wait to go up the 550 in Colorado with that...............

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2014, 06:37:40 PM »
I couldn't care less about milage. I can sit back and enjoy the drive with the Allison. I pull trailers all week long. I'll never again have a clutch (except on the toter,didn't have a choice). Hell, even new buggy is a torque converter driven Fortin sequential.  If there was a way I'd convert the busa to an auto box also.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2014, 06:40:38 PM »
Where you moving to in Kansas,bdkw?
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Enemy

• F*CK NA i lOvE BooST
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2014, 08:48:47 PM »
I couldn't care less about milage. I can sit back and enjoy the drive with the Allison. I pull trailers all week long. I'll never again have a clutch (except on the toter,didn't have a choice). Hell, even new buggy is a torque converter driven Fortin sequential.  If there was a way I'd convert the busa to an auto box also.

I do! Fuel prices suck!! When I blow up the E4OD in this truck, and if I can find a ZF manual, I'm really wanting to convert it.. Id rather do the shifting, but I aint doing it all day long either! So I get your point  :)
"If the hate of men could be turned into electricity, it would light up the whole world."   ~Nikola Tesla

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2014, 09:42:03 PM »
The cost of all these changes would go a very long way towards just buying a capable vehicle to start with ..........................................besides that I get approx 9 miles a gallon towing,13+ city,empty AND a warranty!!!!. I would have to drive for a very long time to recoup the cost of the upgrades and the time you guys put yourselves through to gain a couple mpg. Not worth it to me.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Enemy

• F*CK NA i lOvE BooST
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2014, 09:49:52 PM »
The cost of all these changes would go a very long way towards just buying a capable vehicle to start with  ??? ???..........................................besides that I get approx 9 miles a gallon towing,13+ city,empty AND a warranty!!!!. I would have to drive for a very long time to recoup the cost of the upgrades and the time you guys put yourselves through to gain a couple mpg. Not worth it to me.
Very capable the first day I drove it..Cant afford the prices wanted for trucks today to do what this one does just as good that is paid for and keeps going up in value. Besides that, I paid $6000 for it and the upgrade cost doesn't even come close to what I could get out of it today. I'll keep driving junk, beside I like the OBS Fords  ;)
"If the hate of men could be turned into electricity, it would light up the whole world."   ~Nikola Tesla

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2014, 06:36:08 AM »
If it was capable ,there would be no need for changes. Just my .02. I've done it both ways. With age comes lazy tho........................... ;D ;D  To each their own. I have way too many things to do to spend time upgrading anything. drowning
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2014, 09:30:23 AM »
well mpg's do matter to myself as well but not as much as a comfortable trip towing my load and the peace of mind of the reliablility and longevity of my engine and driveline as well  being able to maintain speeds. my 1999 f350 diesel dually 4x4 quad cab may be extreme over kill for what I am pulling but it does the job more than enough on every aspect accept mpg's imo. now I say this because the best mpg's I have seen pulling 10k to 11k have been 9.3 mpg and worst at 7.5 mpg in a 50 mph cross wind for 6 hrs of that drive. of course I probably should say that 9.3 mpg is at 75 mph with the cruise set on a pretty warm day. with my 1995 f250 2wd ext cab obs I got 9.5 almost all the time except in extreme wind, pulling the same load ( my toy hauler) down the same roads at the same speeds. that truck weighed in at 6850 lbs on the scale. where I haven't weighed this 99 dually, all the posts I have read of others weighing there's, looks to put  it at 8500 lbs to 8900 lbs. so a little bit more weight than the 1995 and it had 4.1's. this 99 has 3.73's, I wish the 99 would have 4.1's but it is what it is. I always got 19 mpg at 75 to 80 mph in the 1995 empty, with the air on. this 1999 only get 18 mpg at it's best empty at those same speeds on the same roads,  so not the worst considering the extra weight, tires and wind drag compared to the 1995 obs truck. I will say that I do prefer the shape of the hood and dash in the obs truck over super duty ( sd ) body style for  vision and practical use!   now I keep getting told that If I would slow down while pulling I would get better mpg's.........prob right ......but i'm not slowing down!!  rofl I built the suspension on the camper and added the fifth wheel air hitch in the bed of the truck so I don't have to  rofl    those mod's won't pay for themselves in mpg's but do in safety an comfort imo so that is all I needed to justify that!! rofl rofl 

enemy is trying to achieve the best of both worlds with the upgrades and mod's on his truck. he has 3.55 gears so really not pulling gears but it does the job just fine, just push's the egt's to the top end of the acceptable range. empty his truck does amazing on mpg's! so with these mod's he not only brings the power up and gauge #'s down to add to the longevity of the engine but does slightly increase mpg's. enemy as well as myself are not willing to allow or pay, just any diesel mechanic, to work on our trucks simply due to lack of pride in soooooo many of the industry today.  in doing these mod's we also gain the knowledge of future repairs and diagnostics. there is one diesel mechanical shop I do trust called c&c complete in bennington neb. all of these guys race there trucks, have blown many parts up , have tried many of the aftermarket performance parts and know the powerstroke diesel's inside and out. the one down side to them is all there thoughts are on extreme racing so they don't always pick the daily driver friendly parts  rofl the best shop imo though!! enemy is correct our trucks are paid for so a few mod's are nothing more than making sure the truck does exactly what we want them to do in a very comfortable way just like our sand rails  rofl rofl since I no longer use a truck on a daily basis anymore, I personally can't afford or justify a $60k truck just to sit on standby for pulling my toyhauler camper, it would be nice but just can't. now I know it does take a lot of time that most don't always have and I can't speak for enemy but for myself, I actually find it fun to do the mods or repairs on my trucks.  ;D
« Last Edit: May 17, 2014, 10:10:27 AM by Dsrace »
Don't never argue with an Idiot!
Because he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2014, 09:56:32 AM »

these are damn nice....a bit pricy but damn nice. you will really like that.  in a truck the auto is nicer in town or city driving! but I grew up with a stick and pre-fer them to this day for pulling but no fun at all in town especially driving a dually in the city!! the lanes are not wide enough  rofl rofl

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2014, 11:34:05 AM »
well mpg's do matter to myself as well but not as much as a comfortable trip towing my load and the peace of mind of the reliablility and longevity of my engine and driveline as well  being able to maintain speeds. my 1999 f350 diesel dually 4x4 quad cab may be extreme over kill for what I am pulling but it does the job more than enough on every aspect accept mpg's imo. now I say this because the best mpg's I have seen pulling 10k to 11k have been 9.3 mpg and worst at 7.5 mpg in a 50 mph cross wind for 6 hrs of that drive. of course I probably should say that 9.3 mpg is at 75 mph with the cruise set on a pretty warm day. with my 1995 f250 2wd ext cab obs I got 9.5 almost all the time except in extreme wind, pulling the same load ( my toy hauler) down the same roads at the same speeds. that truck weighed in at 6850 lbs on the scale. where I haven't weighed this 99 dually, all the posts I have read of others weighing there's, looks to put  it at 8500 lbs to 8900 lbs. so a little bit more weight than the 1995 and it had 4.1's. this 99 has 3.73's, I wish the 99 would have 4.1's but it is what it is. I always got 19 mpg at 75 to 80 mph in the 1995 empty, with the air on. this 1999 only get 18 mpg at it's best empty at those same speeds on the same roads,  so not the worst considering the extra weight, tires and wind drag compared to the 1995 obs truck. I will say that I do prefer the shape of the hood and dash in the obs truck over super duty ( sd ) body style for  vision and practical use!   now I keep getting told that If I would slow down while pulling I would get better mpg's.........prob right ......but i'm not slowing down!!  rofl I built the suspension on the camper and added the fifth wheel air hitch in the bed of the truck so I don't have to  rofl    those mod's won't pay for themselves in mpg's but do in safety an comfort imo so that is all I needed to justify that!! rofl rofl 

enemy is trying to achieve the best of both worlds with the upgrades and mod's on his truck. he has 3.55 gears so really not pulling gears but it does the job just fine, just push's the egt's to the top end of the acceptable range. empty his truck does amazing on mpg's! so with these mod's he not only brings the power up and gauge #'s down to add to the longevity of the engine but does slightly increase mpg's. enemy as well as myself are not willing to allow or pay, just any diesel mechanic, to work on our trucks simply due to lack of pride in soooooo many of the industry today.  in doing these mod's we also gain the knowledge of future repairs and diagnostics. there is one diesel mechanical shop I do trust called c&c complete in bennington neb. all of these guys race there trucks, have blown many parts up , have tried many of the aftermarket performance parts and know the powerstroke diesel's inside and out. the one down side to them is all there thoughts are on extreme racing so they don't always pick the daily driver friendly parts  rofl the best shop imo though!! enemy is correct our trucks are paid for so a few mod's are nothing more than making sure the truck does exactly what we want them to do in a very comfortable way just like our sand rails  rofl rofl since I no longer use a truck on a daily basis anymore, I personally can't afford or justify a $60k truck just to sit on standby for pulling my toyhauler camper, it would be nice but just can't. now I know it does take a lot of time that most don't always have and I can't speak for enemy but for myself, I actually find it fun to do the mods or repairs on my trucks.  ;D
No argument here. You guys just have too much time on your hands is all and I'm jealous. ;D ;D I've just never been one to mod(much) my street driven anything.They get me tickets just fine as they are......................
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2014, 11:38:07 AM »

these are damn nice....a bit pricy but damn nice. you will really like that.  in a truck the auto is nicer in town or city driving! but I grew up with a stick and pre-fer them to this day for pulling but no fun at all in town especially driving a dually in the city!! the lanes are not wide enough  rofl rofl
I grew up with that effin stick also. roads are plenty wide even here in Poverty, Kansas  ;D People say my buggy can't follow SxS's through the LS quad  trails...................LMAO LMAO LMAO LMAO LMAO LMAO LMAO LMAO Same with city streets. rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2014, 06:29:47 PM »
lol well if you swerve at them here they make room  rofl

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2014, 12:05:19 AM »
Swerve hell,I run right over the "competition". hehheheee
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2014, 06:46:01 AM »
Swerve hell,I run right over the "competition". hehheheee

i can't get away with that in this anal retentive state  rofl     

on another note.....the dual fuel filter set up enemy has installed is definitely needed around these parts. i knew our diesel fuel was dirty but had no idea just how dirty until i looked at the clear water separator lower section of his filter. the crap built up in the bottom is nasty and he did replace his tanks so it's not rust!  i have purchased on for my truck but won't have the time to install it before the trip! 

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2014, 08:09:20 AM »
It's not the fuel,it's the storage tanks. Same deal with gasoline.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal