Author Topic: lippert frame failure  (Read 6143 times)

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
lippert frame failure
« on: February 14, 2013, 07:53:09 PM »
amazingly enough lol there are some inherit issues with toy hauler campers lol ya who would've guessed!   here is a link to one of many and the lippert frames seem to be a problem for quite a few. many makes and models and i believe they supply frames for 85% of the rv/camper builders out there.

only thing i found on you tube but sooooooo many posts on forums with not so good pics of the failures  nono
" the less talent they have, the more pride, vanity and arrogance they have. All these fools, however, find other fools who applauded them " .    ERASMUS 1509

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
Re: lippert frame failure
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2013, 07:54:13 PM »
« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 08:02:01 PM by Dsrace »
" the less talent they have, the more pride, vanity and arrogance they have. All these fools, however, find other fools who applauded them " .    ERASMUS 1509

millbilly

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2013, 11:05:35 PM »
A air hitch works great!! A much better ride..  Won't break the frame........  :)

Offline Carlriddle

• Another build? What are you thinking?
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2013, 06:00:31 AM »
I'd say one is going to have to break going down highway and someone get killed for it to get any real attention.  And in many states you can ride in 5th wheel campers while traveling. 

Besides you know your not suppose to use those things, except for yard decoration, gees DS!!   rofl rofl rofl
You can keep your CHANGE, I'd like to keep my DOLLAR.

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2013, 06:45:47 AM »
Just don't pull through Kansas and you'll be fine. We run whoops daily at 80 mph here. We have some FINE roads.Oklahoma is just as bad. That hour and a half run from I35 to LS is fun.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline deano

• VIP
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2013, 08:50:05 AM »
has there been ant recalls on them  :police: ???

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2013, 07:56:36 PM »
Just don't pull through Kansas and you'll be fine. We run whoops daily at 80 mph here. We have some FINE roads.Oklahoma is just as bad. That hour and a half run from I35 to LS is fun.

lol ok is far far worse or atleast that stretch of 281 i run!!

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2013, 07:57:15 PM »
has there been ant recalls on them  :police: ???

they make them difficult to find but there are far more than a guy thinks on campers and rv's

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2013, 07:58:57 PM »
A air hitch works great!! A much better ride..  Won't break the frame........  :)

a good thought along with shock absorbers and one I have been looking into but that is more like changing from a steel hammer to a rubber mallet if the frame is not built for the advertised task.  the load is still very much real.

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2013, 07:59:42 PM »
I'd say one is going to have to break going down highway and someone get killed for it to get any real attention.  And in many states you can ride in 5th wheel campers while traveling. 

Besides you know your not suppose to use those things, except for yard decoration, gees DS!!   rofl rofl rofl

even if there are deaths they will have to prove the frame failed before the accident and even then I doubt it!!  nono nono

millbilly

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2013, 03:49:01 AM »
Have you looked at the welds on most trailers??  The Mex need to weld better...   Get a air hitch!!!!

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2013, 06:24:21 AM »
Get a decent trailer.  Air hitches are nice but won't prevent this type of damage.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2013, 07:56:00 AM »
Get a decent trailer.  Air hitches are nice but won't prevent this type of damage.

what sicken's me the most is I was going to order a goosneck and convert it as I did the bumper hitch before but for the money and time I found this one that by advertised specs looked to work.  until they are held to dot specs such as flatbeds and cargo trailers there will never be a decent toyhauler but an rv manufacturer imo!  air hitchs or air pin box will not prevent this problem as fabbr stated it may slow down or extend the amount of time before such failure but by no means stop it. if you read the info on some of those posts they all posted the metal the pin box was welded to was .097" wall thickness!!!!   not even .125" with would be 1/8" and they don't know what type of steel was used only that it was tearing. in most of those posts they replaced the main beams with rectangle .25" wall and added a flat strap to it and added 2 additional braces to main frame. plus additional bracing in various places as well.

I have had no issues structurally with mine as of yet and from the response's i have been able to get they changed the frame design in 008 or 09 so this one is supposed to be of a better build but based upon what I have seen that is like saying we made shittier just shitty!! lol

if these toyhaulers need an air ride pin box to get 12 years of use before failure rather than 6 then why don't they come with them?   what they need to do along with many many vendors out there is start giving a complimentary tube of ky with each sale  LMAO  kick nono

it is just a shame and I will for now blow two holes in the underside with inspection plates so I can keep an eye on various welds to be sure but if you mod the frame you will never get any help from them definately based upon that alone!   I have been e-mailing lippert to see what they will say just because i want to and they have done nothing more than blow smoke up my a$$ so far which is what i expected but if we don't share and let others especially the manufacturers know what we think and that we know then it will only get worse!!

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2013, 10:39:59 AM »
something else to consider for any that might be buying a toy hauler

can your truck tow it calculator  http://changingears.com/rv-sec-calc-trailer-weight-fw.shtml

i wonder if this company is any better?    http://www.youngsweldinginc.com/rv-frames.htm

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2013, 11:12:20 AM »
now this is a canadan NHTSA site and I cannot locate a spot for campers on the us NHTSA but if you scroll down and check out keystone and forest river you can will get the idea. just remember these are lippert frames , forest river nor keystone or anyother manf builds there own. lippert bought dexter in 2011 early i think so dexter is now the same quality of lippert!! lol quality lol

http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/roadsafety/safevehicles-defectinvestigations-information-active-1239.htm
« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 11:14:20 AM by Dsrace »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal