Author Topic: Dan & Kyle's father and son project !!  (Read 14850 times)

Offline Doug Heim

• Bad @$$ Buggy Builder & Parts Supplier
  • Forum Sponsor
    • Doug Heim's Photo Bucket
Re: Dan & Kyle's father and son project !!
« Reply #30 on: September 30, 2009, 11:20:17 AM »
a cnc would be nice to have at home! Very cool! Looks like he knows how to use it too!

In my case, why buy the cow when the milk is free right?

All in due time reidy  8)

hemi43

« Reply #31 on: September 30, 2009, 04:51:30 PM »
My CNC wasn't free, but including the purchase of a CAD program as well as software for the mill, I only have about $3500.00 in it. That's Canadian dollars too !!  ;D
It's still a learning curve, especially the CAD part. I have no problems understanding things mechanical, but the programming part turns my brain to mush !! ???

« Last Edit: September 30, 2009, 04:54:39 PM by hemi43 »

hemi43

« Reply #32 on: October 14, 2009, 08:00:04 PM »
Well, it's been a couple of weeks since my last up date, and it seems like I haven't stopped working on this buggy!!
A whole week was spent trying to mount the engine and transmission. I decided to mount the two together as a unit. I'm happy with the results.
I also made the mounting box for the rear suspension, and ended up making the kart 2 inches longer than I originally designed. I ended up using 6209 bearing to mount the shaft. This was a complex engineering decision that after hours of number crunching ....... OK !! I'm full of sh!* !! I opened my bearing drawer and they were the first ones I saw !!  ;D

The frame was completely welded up, but I kept the box separate because I still have to mount the caliper to it, and figured it would be easier if it was not part of the kart.
The next step will be to make the suspension arms. Using the same mathematical process as I used for the bearings, I came up with four plastic buckets for the ride height. They are perfect !! ;)

Since I don't have my CNC plasma machine built yet, any small brackets have to be machined from plate. This a slow, and material wasting process, but in the end it's still quicker than cutting them out on a bandsaw.
I program the cutter to go .005 less than the thickness of the plate, and then use tin snips to remove the parts. They are then deburred on a 3M wheel.

http://www.dtsfab.com/index/MGalleryItem.php?id=719

Offline Reidy02

• VIP
  • What goes around comes around!
« Reply #33 on: October 14, 2009, 11:16:36 PM »
a cnc would be nice to have at home! Very cool! Looks like he knows how to use it too!

In my case, why buy the cow when the milk is free right?

All in due time reidy  8)   
??? Man everything I get from you I pay for, it's all good for you, not so for me :-\! Man I'd love to have a CNC, I'd think serious about giving me left nut for one.. ;D Why where you thinking of giving me one?? :o
« Last Edit: October 15, 2009, 08:04:57 AM by Reidy02 »
VTR 1000 CUDA on the way.. What goes around comes around!!

Offline Reidy02

• VIP
« Reply #34 on: October 15, 2009, 06:36:20 AM »
My CNC wasn't free, but including the purchase of a CAD program as well as software for the mill, I only have about $3500.00 in it. That's Canadian dollars too !!  ;D
It's still a learning curve, especially the CAD part. I have no problems understanding things mechanical, but the programming part turns my brain to mush !! ???
Wow $3,500.00 if I could buy one for that I'd snap it up quick smart!!

hemi43

« Reply #35 on: October 15, 2009, 10:19:40 AM »
Wow $3,500.00 if I could buy one for that I'd snap it up quick smart!!

Build one !! ;D

Offline Reidy02

• VIP
« Reply #36 on: October 16, 2009, 01:31:30 AM »
What can you get a kit, or do you source everything and do it yourself?

hemi43

« Reply #37 on: October 16, 2009, 05:16:58 AM »
I bought an older NC machine for next to nothing. Look on E-bay. Mine is a Hurco MB1.
Most of these machines are electronically obsolete, and are way past their usefull life. Remember, I said "electronically".
Mechanically, these older machines are far superior to some of the ones available today. I got lucky because the ways, ballscrews on mine were like new.
I only paid $1200 form my machine including a lot of tooling, and I was able to sell all of it's old electronics for $500, which meant that I only had about $700 into be basic machine. I kept the original servos because they can still be used.
I'm not going to go into any details here on how to convert the machine to new electronics, but if you go to www.cnczone.com , you'll find tons of information on how to do it there.
The main brain for the mill is a standard PC, and all the software is downloadable from the net, and very reasonably priced.
If you have any questions, just PM me and I'll will try to help you as much as I can.
Just remember, If I can do it, anyone can !!  :)

Offline Reidy02

• VIP
« Reply #38 on: October 16, 2009, 06:40:29 AM »
Thanks very much I appreciate it! I'm in Australia which seems to be in a industrial information vacum for what ever reason.

SPEC

« Reply #39 on: October 16, 2009, 08:08:05 AM »
Hell Hemi  ;D
We have a section for the machine build...I personally would love to have you post it up there
http://dtsfab.com/index/index.php?board=19.0

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #40 on: October 16, 2009, 09:33:12 AM »
yup!
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

hemi43

« Reply #41 on: October 16, 2009, 10:29:35 AM »
Hell Hemi  ;D
We have a section for the machine build...I personally would love to have you post it up there
http://dtsfab.com/index/index.php?board=19.0

Well sorry for going off topic !! I know this is a "project log " thread, but Reidy02 was kind to ask a question, therfore the least I could do was answer. :)
Dan

Offline Yummi

• Grumpy, Sneezey and Dopey all rolled into one.
  • Administration
    • Jeeping With Dogs
« Reply #42 on: October 16, 2009, 10:45:06 AM »
No worries on off topic.  Trust me, pretty lax around here on that.  (The nutty is what makes DTS delicious)

We all just want more info in the other area.
I like things that move.   Pretty much limits me to cars and strippers

Did you know I have a blog?  Come on now, it is 2016, everybody does.  http://www.jeepingwithdogs.com

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #43 on: October 16, 2009, 02:03:58 PM »
Well sorry for going off topic !! I know this is a "project log " thread, but Reidy02 was kind to ask a question, therfore the least I could do was answer. :)
Dan
No problem at all. We all go "off road" with a topic. That's what off road fabbers do isn't it?
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

SPEC

« Reply #44 on: October 16, 2009, 02:29:18 PM »
WE ARE OFF TOPIC...
THATS THE DTS CREW ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal