Author Topic: Spec's 750 that will never be finished  (Read 6079 times)

sweddy

Re: Spec's 750 that will never be finished
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2009, 10:52:53 AM »
i went to the other machine shop and checked out that 750.. that suspension is definitely a work of art...

SPEC

« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2009, 06:34:43 PM »
Sweddy is too kind ;D

Bug

« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2009, 09:57:02 PM »
I notice the square ends on the rear axle. Is that just a 1 1/4  (just an example) axle with the ends ground down and then you make your drive hubs with square stock 3/16 thick  or something similar ? I noticed in your 460 log how you made the drive hubs for going on the axle but am wondering what the axle is. I've looked around for that style axle and ain't seein too much.
    That's one wild looking rear end Pickleman!    other thing is the two shock technique.  You had the same set up on your other buggy.      kind of like a dual rate set up or ? Thanks for any info   ;D

SPEC

« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2009, 06:33:39 AM »
Ya, you prolly haven't seen too many axles like mine ;D I'm the only one building them that I know of
I build the axles in-house...
The axles start out as 7 seperate peices,Tool steel liner, An inner sleeve, Drive flange(that's the part that drives the hubs), then an outer sleeve that the sprocket carrier is welded to, then the retaining nuts for the hubs... The axles are fairly strong, not indestuctable I have managed to break and bend afew...But I drive the buggies like I stole them, The Hubs on the other hand are pretty much Indesrtructable...1/4'' Boilerplate, Mumbler trues the 1/4'' collar so it's 90* on both ends, CNCs the mating surface so it's all nice flat, true, and punch the bolt pattern, before I weld them up...Since most of my stuff turns left(roudy round) I put 4 gussets on the right drive hub and only 3 on the left,,,Then I have Mumbler Turn them in the lathe to check bolt holes and run-out for the wheel mounting surface...
I don't harden them so they can flex...We have hardened them in the past, but then you get little or no warning when the axle is going to break...Plus if you get a small tweek in it ...It can be heated and straightened
Dual shocks can be a pain in the ass...
I like dual shocks fo several reasons
1) I can tailor spring rates for ride height,sag and compression(not really compression but ride feel)
2) I have tons of coil over shocks and springs laying around
3) I can mout dual coil overs inboard and cantaleverd and go way over the ''acceptable ratio'' of shock placement, and not have ungodly pressure on the individual shock
4) with a little thought and some foresite you can get some big travel numbers out of an inexpensive shock
5) They look cool ;D,,,,And they run cooler than 1 shock doing all the work, because they only move a fraction of what a long travel outboard shock does...So less shock fade
You could take this one off my hands ;D

Bug

« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2009, 02:20:22 PM »
so your axles are like your pickles,  home made and pretty much gonna stay that way. It keeps 'em special !
  ;D mm: mm: ;D

SPEC

« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2009, 07:57:15 PM »
 ;D
Yup
 8)
My philosophy is this
If it works...and works well
DON'T FOOK WITH IT !!!!!

SPEC

« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2009, 01:20:04 PM »
Before this bad girl goes under the knife I'll do a quick write up and phot shoot like I did the specinator's...
Rumor has it that The 460's are making a comeback, I'll be working with some members here on water jet parts and some g-code stuff so I'm off to Mumbler's to get him in gear righting the stuff...
Trojan open up some time on your calender...And prolly Yummi too :o ::) ;D

Offline Boostinjdm

« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2009, 01:27:44 PM »
Huh??? What you doin now?
This post has been edited due to content.

SPEC

« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2009, 09:08:58 PM »
I took a trip out to "The landing" today...
Rode around for 45 minutes in the S-10...a trip that I do in the buggy in less than 10...I'm  going to whack up both 750's, and put together some of my old school buggies with the upgraded parts that I build now...See if we can get something going up this way for a low budget racing league, I don't have the room to keep them around...and can't even get a ridiculously low price for them... so they're iron except what I can salvage in parts :o

artie on edge

« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2009, 09:34:15 PM »
I don't have the room to keep them around...and can't even get a ridiculously low price for them... so they're iron except what I can salvage in parts :o

Thats sadly true, one mans passion is anothers poison. Eventually you would sell them, patience and time, and marketing them in the right places (this ones good!).

And mate, ANYTHING will sell with green tyres on it (NOT!).......  :-\ :-*

SPEC

« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2010, 07:21:29 AM »
 ;D
Here's the end to the 750 :-[
I had a scammer from CL e-mail me to deliver it and get paid when it gets there....Here's what I'm delivering to anoka scrap yard today
The rest of the parts...short of what I'm shipping to a member here are going on flea-pay next week :-[

Offline Wyattboche

« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2010, 11:27:40 AM »
Spec is that a polaris triple snowmobile engine? Does it run?

SPEC

« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2010, 11:34:48 AM »
of course it runs

SPEC

« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2010, 06:22:10 AM »
I sent a copy of these pix to the fooker yesterday...
I wonder why he hasn't responded? rofl

Offline Wyattboche

« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2011, 12:29:31 AM »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal