Author Topic: "Road Rail" Design (UK)  (Read 20216 times)

wightsparks

Re: "Road Rail" Design (UK)
« Reply #60 on: December 09, 2018, 10:27:59 AM »
Thanks. That is exactly what I googled too, just got the same ones for the SJ that I have.

Offline Baloo

« Reply #61 on: December 09, 2018, 10:32:47 AM »
Thanks. That is exactly what I googled too, just got the same ones for the SJ that I have.

your welcome

its also know as the Chevrolet  tracker in Canada I think, might throw up some better drawings

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_Tracker_(Americas)

Offline Baloo

« Reply #62 on: December 09, 2018, 10:50:25 AM »
heres another xl7   starting cheap at least

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/183574886163?ul_noapp=true

to get a Vitara cheaper look at the 2lt 4cylinder they are always breaking timing chains, ditch the body and the engine and box
and your good to go, maybe a rover v8 or a Subaru out of a forester, you would still be well in on your 8 points to keep the identity     

Online dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #63 on: December 09, 2018, 10:57:40 AM »
chevy tracker or geo tracker before gm ( government motors  ;D) acquired them like daewoo
Don't never argue with an Idiot!
Because he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience

wightsparks

« Reply #64 on: December 09, 2018, 01:58:42 PM »

to get a Vitara cheaper look at the 2lt 4cylinder they are always breaking timing chains, ditch the body and the engine and box
and your good to go, maybe a rover v8 or a Subaru out of a forester, you would still be well in on your 8 points to keep the identity   

I'll probably get whatever comes up on the island, gets expensive to drive over in one and come back in two - even more so if it's a non runner and/or 150 miles away!
« Last Edit: December 09, 2018, 02:01:36 PM by wightsparks »

Offline Baloo

« Reply #65 on: December 09, 2018, 02:44:01 PM »

I'll probably get whatever comes up on the island, gets expensive to drive over in one and come back in two - even more so if it's a non runner and/or 150 miles away!

I can imagine,  think its the most expensive ferry per distance travelled in the world lol

it costs me over £100 every time I come over there in my transit and I can almost reach out and touch your island from Portsmouth 

wightsparks

« Reply #66 on: December 10, 2018, 05:08:25 PM »
Using the Sidekick chassis this is where I am leaning at the moment. Hood would be inside the towers, not sure how low I can get the engine. Lower enclosed upper frame open

« Last Edit: December 10, 2018, 05:10:38 PM by wightsparks »

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #67 on: December 10, 2018, 08:06:51 PM »
That could be made to look very nice.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Baloo

« Reply #68 on: December 11, 2018, 12:49:31 PM »
Using the Sidekick chassis this is where I am leaning at the moment. Hood would be inside the towers, not sure how low I can get the engine. Lower enclosed upper frame open

looks good, chassis looks a little high if that is to scale, think the  bottom of the chassis in the middle section is level with the bottom of the rear axle casing , that would bring the front suspension towers down quite a bit, possible below the bonnet line, I have a rolling chassis out side some where will get some pics of how it sits

orange line wants to move down to where the yellow line  is more or less

« Last Edit: December 11, 2018, 12:57:50 PM by Baloo »

wightsparks

« Reply #69 on: December 11, 2018, 03:52:26 PM »
Thanks.  I had assumed I would be lifting it for clearance - but possibly not that much!
It is to scale, those are 31"/780mm wheels on it same as the rears on my 'rail.

Online dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #70 on: December 12, 2018, 05:33:35 PM »
ground clearance is a good thing! never know when you may need to hop off the road and into a field  ;) ;)
Don't never argue with an Idiot!
Because he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience

wightsparks

« Reply #71 on: December 13, 2018, 06:27:07 AM »
or a pond

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #72 on: December 13, 2018, 10:13:15 AM »
or a pond

Pfft!  Around these parts we call that a driveway to the house.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

wightsparks

« Reply #73 on: December 19, 2018, 04:44:15 PM »

looks good, chassis looks a little high if that is to scale, think the  bottom of the chassis in the middle section is level with the bottom of the rear axle casing , that would bring the front suspension towers down quite a bit, possible below the bonnet line, I have a rolling chassis out side some where will get some pics of how it sits

orange line wants to move down to where the yellow line  is more or less

Baloo did you get a chance to take a look at this ? Like to get an idea if it is do-able.

wightsparks

« Reply #74 on: July 22, 2019, 05:20:14 PM »
aaaand he's back.  :)
Not a huge amount of progress except having sold my business a few months back I am on the look out for a new one - so considering producing frames for people to do their own 4WD car to Buggy conversion.  However I've got to build the prototype first which brings me back to the Road Rail design.

As this may (or may not) be a commercial venture I checked out what was a good donor car to base it on that was cheap, plentiful and not overly prone to rust. Lots of research and opinion turned up the Mitsubishi Montero/Shogun/Pajero and handily a month later a LWB version came up for locally with a blown head gasket or possibly a cracked head-  they are made of cheese on the 2.5L Diesel and melt at the first sight of an overheat - expensive to fix in a garage (lots of labour) but even a new head is only around $300.
So I bought it.

All it has had so far is a good coat of looking at as I need to sell the Sandrail so I have room in the garage. Plan is to fix it, use it for a couple of months then bring it in for dismemberment.  Decisions on viability of actually making money from it to follow...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal