Author Topic: Brake setup I have been working on  (Read 4580 times)

LiveWire

Brake setup I have been working on
« on: April 04, 2011, 02:12:57 PM »

Offline Voodoochikin04

• Vip Eye candy Supplier!!
  • VIP
Re: Brake setup I have been working on
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2011, 02:14:15 PM »
i seen this on atvnuts thread on minibuggy.. i thought it was pretty cool idea..  using a drum brake spindle and a caliper bracket.. good thinkin.
"it's only when you have lost everything, that your free to do anything"

LiveWire

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2011, 02:21:02 PM »
I was already designing the conversion kit for the FL350 when he started work on his buggy. So he decided on using those spindles since he had them and disk brakes would be available. Since his chassis is sitting there, I use it to mock up on.

Offline Voodoochikin04

• VIP
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2011, 02:28:13 PM »
seems like an excellent conversion kit..

Offline Wyattboche

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2011, 04:23:31 PM »

Offline Voodoochikin04

• VIP
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2011, 07:33:21 PM »
« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 08:47:27 AM by Voodoochikin04 »

LiveWire

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2011, 08:24:13 AM »
What application is this on?

Those spindles are 1985 Honda Odyssey FL350R. I am also making a version for the 1989 and 1990 Honda Pilot FL400R. They are both drum brakes from the factory. Likely the reason they used drums instead of disks like the sport quads is the machine weighs 630lbs. Some people have used quad calipers, but putting brakes off a 250lb machine on one that weighs 2 1/2 times that is not going to provide better braking. The calipers are available in multiple piston sizes to fine tune the brake lever movement.

A third application is generic hubs for standard 1" spindles. The brake rotors are the same ones used on the Formula Cross. I will be revising the hub design when I put that car back into production. The new setup reduces the distance from the king pin line to the hub face reducing tire scrub. The old Formula Cross has too much scrub IMO.

Offline Wyattboche

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2011, 03:40:34 PM »
Those spindles are 1985 Honda Odyssey FL350R. I am also making a version for the 1989 and 1990 Honda Pilot FL400R. They are both drum brakes from the factory. Likely the reason they used drums instead of disks like the sport quads is the machine weighs 630lbs. Some people have used quad calipers, but putting brakes off a 250lb machine on one that weighs 2 1/2 times that is not going to provide better braking. The calipers are available in multiple piston sizes to fine tune the brake lever movement.

A third application is generic hubs for standard 1" spindles. The brake rotors are the same ones used on the Formula Cross. I will be revising the hub design when I put that car back into production. The new setup reduces the distance from the king pin line to the hub face reducing tire scrub. The old Formula Cross has too much scrub IMO.
What is up with Honda and there sealed drum brakes?  thumb down I have a 2004 rubicon 500 that has front and rear drums. I have the front disc conversion and I am working on making the rear. They must of been a dime a dozen.

LiveWire

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2011, 03:54:02 PM »
It may have been thought that drum brakes are less exposed and therefore better in mud. I'm not sure if anything new has drum brakes.

Offline Wyattboche

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2011, 05:19:26 PM »

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2011, 06:33:21 AM »
So ,that just means Honda still has their head up their ass. OR they see a lot of repair work for dealers keeping the drums. Gee, I wonder if that could be intentional? LOL!!!!
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Wyattboche

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2011, 04:49:51 PM »
So ,that just means Honda still has their head up their ass. OR they see a lot of repair work for dealers keeping the drums. Gee, I wonder if that could be intentional? LOL!!!!
makes you wonder

trans man

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2011, 08:11:24 PM »
Honda is just using up there old inventory of drum brakes. thumb down thumb down

Offline ace

• "project storage expert"
  • Grunt worker
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2011, 12:23:05 AM »
Hey live wire any idea when these will be available?
Thanks Joe.

LiveWire

« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2011, 09:07:19 AM »
I would think it would still be a month or two out even though the ones pictured are basically ready to run. I want them mounted on a running machine and try them out. I made an educated guess for the piston size in the calipers. I need to make sure the lever does not hit the yoke without applying full braking or the lever is too hard to squeeze. That will happen if the caliper piston is too large or too small. I will change to the next size up or down piston if needed. People who put hand controls on the Formula Cross had issues related to the pistons being too big so I already went smaller than the Formula Cross.

I have to make a couple tweaks to the caliper brackets. The changes are already done in the CAD files, I just need to get them run. The ones in the picture had some modifications done to the original laser cut parts.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal