Author Topic: Det Cans  (Read 1084 times)

Offline fabr

• Administrator
Det Cans
« on: December 19, 2018, 09:07:55 PM »
Any of you using to tune timing?
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
Re: Det Cans
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2018, 06:46:36 AM »
never looked into those as my base tune came with a VERY conservative! timing map. now i did read up on these .....   https://www.gtrlife.com/forums/topic/46194-spark-plug-combustion-pressure-sensors-for-tuning/      ....... a while back and thought this would be an excellent way to test.
Don't never argue with an Idiot!
Because he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience

Offline fabr

• Administrator
Re: Det Cans
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2018, 08:15:58 AM »
I am not convinced the electronic gadgets like that are of much use to us without a dyno. I also have many reservations about the use of them but that's a discussion for another thread.  Det cans on the other hand ,IMO,will tell even a novice if there is any detonation occurring instantly and without a doubt. Are they sophisticated real time EC tuning aids? Nope. Are they cheap? Maybe,depends if old school stethoscope type or  more modern microphone types but either are pretty inexpensive. From what I've read ,the old school ,non electronic type ,are preferred by many tuners and they are dirt cheap to fab. I got interested in this a few weeks ago. I have never used det cans of any type ever. I am only passing on my thoughts.  I have though used a mechanics stethoscope many times trying to isolate an engine noise that just was impossible to isolate. I recently again used it to find a tick in an engine. It got me to thinking again about det cans.Honestly,a person can plainly hear every noise in an engine with the stethoscope.Every rocker,every piston slap,etc.. You know what I mean if you've used one. This got me thinking ..........................  More to come.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 08:17:52 AM by fabr »
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal