Author Topic: *the everything from scratch buggy- by voodoo*  (Read 155989 times)

Online fabr

• Administrator
Re: *the everything from scratch buggy- by voodoo*
« Reply #900 on: May 05, 2011, 08:12:00 AM »
Uh, negative.  None.  Look around for buggies with light bars and actuators.  That shit has a nasty habit of caving in a roof on a roll over.  That large piece of center steel comes on down into the cab. 

Dont get me wrong, they look cool as hell.  And it is sometimes handy at the dunes to be able to adjust the angle.  But, having seen the pictures, stick with something that breaks off or won't enter in a roll over.   
+1
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Voodoochikin04

• Vip Eye candy Supplier!!
  • VIP
« Reply #901 on: May 05, 2011, 08:51:01 AM »
ok..... tell me to use two turnbuckles, or elec actuators... but then +1 on not using either....

carl...  yes, LH and RH heims.

so whats the point of a light bar? if its welded solid, with out any supports (since they could come into cab area in event of roll over) then it will just collapse in a roll over and bust all your lights..  isn't the point of it to keep the lights safe?
« Last Edit: May 05, 2011, 08:53:48 AM by Voodoochikin04 »
"it's only when you have lost everything, that your free to do anything"

Offline Yummi

• Grumpy, Sneezey and Dopey all rolled into one.
  • Administration
    • Jeeping With Dogs
« Reply #902 on: May 05, 2011, 09:02:36 AM »
Dig, hard to see from this picture, and I now have an LED bar under the HIDS, but, the light bar parallels the roof roll bar.  So, in a roll over, the lights will break off - I am cool with that.  Cheap as opposed to a piece of steel coming in the roof.

I will try to get better pictures tonight for you.   

I like things that move.   Pretty much limits me to cars and strippers

Did you know I have a blog?  Come on now, it is 2016, everybody does.  http://www.jeepingwithdogs.com

Offline Voodoochikin04

• VIP
« Reply #903 on: May 05, 2011, 09:08:23 AM »
no i see what your saying...  i mean the kind like i built.. i see them on all kinds of buggys.. the ones that go up over the lights.. mine runs parallel with my front roof bar, the whole width of the buggy.. and then my adjusment bar is tied into the roof rail at the most braced point... 

all im asking, do most people that run "my" style of light bar, have it welded in solid? or bolted in non adjustable?

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #904 on: May 05, 2011, 09:14:03 AM »
I said 2 because you had it built and 2 are better by far than the one when it comes to your lights vibrating around. Even yummi's design can have a hoop around/over the lights. Just remember that for anything there are alternative ways to do things. Each has its' pluses and minuses.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Voodoochikin04

• VIP
« Reply #905 on: May 05, 2011, 09:47:05 AM »
so i guess if i want adjustablilty on the fly.. i gotta risk having the bar coming into the cab?  dumb.. lol.  :-X

nagel

« Reply #906 on: May 05, 2011, 09:49:37 AM »
Interesting to learn here..

I always figured the actuator arm would bend before roll cage does, most of the actuators I've seen are 1/2" diameter push rod or smaller.  But I could see how a stronger center brace can penetrate the passenger area in a rollover, and I'd rather replace lights than my head.

Is there a way to make the mounts for the bar, well, "sacrificial"??  That way they bend / break before the light bar goes thru the roof?  Maybe make the mounting tabs from a slightly thinner material that gives way first?

Just thinking out loud...

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #907 on: May 05, 2011, 09:51:40 AM »
The heims usually break and then the strut becomes a spear.The struts are the issue ,not the bar.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

nagel

« Reply #908 on: May 05, 2011, 09:58:21 AM »
Ah hah! So here's the solution.  Use 3/8" or 1/2" plate for the roof! Armor protection! (j/k!)  (with that weight on the top, you would be begging for a rollover LOL).

Hmm, so what if he put two adjusters on the sides instead of one in the middle?

Is there any way to make a light bar safely adjustable then?  (My current buggy doesn't have one, but when I build a full size desert car I had plans to do something similar). 

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #909 on: May 05, 2011, 10:29:08 AM »
using a small actuator or manual link would work on yummis design as well as any other design.I like yummis design and adding a hoop over the lights would delight me.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2011, 10:33:24 AM by masterfabr »
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

nagel

« Reply #910 on: May 05, 2011, 10:46:07 AM »
Ok, Yummi's design looks almost like a roof cargo rack, with rails along the sides as well as front.  Do you mean an actuator, say, at the rear of the "rack", that is mounted to a vertical roll bar pushing up / pulling down on the rear of the "rack"?  This would put the actuator behind you / to the side of you and raise / lower the rear of the "rack"..  The actuator would then essentially become the rear mounts for the rack?

nagel

« Reply #911 on: May 05, 2011, 10:50:08 AM »
Or...

What if you made the bar the lights mount to (on Yummi's rack) pivotable, essentially like a steering spindle.  Only a small arm mounted to control it just like tie rods connecting to a spindle.  The actuator wouldnt need to have a long throw either, depending on how big you make the "small arm".  This way in a rollover, there's no long spear...

Offline Voodoochikin04

• VIP
« Reply #912 on: May 05, 2011, 10:55:57 AM »
yea thats what i shoulda done..  welded the hoop solid to frame and made the light mounts pivotal..with small adjuster..

my current adjuster is the same as my frame tube..  i was figuring it would fold in half before the heims of tabs broke.. especially since its mount to a thick tube that braced in good on my roof...

ill run with it for now i guess..  figured i was finally making something right lol.

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #913 on: May 05, 2011, 11:03:52 AM »
Ok, Yummi's design looks almost like a roof cargo rack, with rails along the sides as well as front.  Do you mean an actuator, say, at the rear of the "rack", that is mounted to a vertical roll bar pushing up / pulling down on the rear of the "rack"?  This would put the actuator behind you / to the side of you and raise / lower the rear of the "rack"..  The actuator would then essentially become the rear mounts for the rack?
yup
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Carlriddle

• Another build? What are you thinking?
« Reply #914 on: May 05, 2011, 02:03:27 PM »
Hopfully Voodo you've already done the roolover thing and you have learned your lesson and not repeat.  rofl  But could you shorten the adjuster part to where it was only like 6" or so then I dont think it would dart you.  So does this mean your going to make LS, or are ya still 50-50? 

Speakin of dart anyone see Yoshi's lawn dart at snake hunt.  He posted up some pics still waiting on video.  Not quit as bad as the Jackson.
You can keep your CHANGE, I'd like to keep my DOLLAR.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal