Author Topic: got the red rail home.  (Read 31458 times)

Offline fabr

• Administrator
Re: got the red rail home.
« Reply #135 on: March 06, 2023, 01:53:06 PM »
 8) 8) 8) 8)
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #136 on: March 14, 2023, 09:18:10 AM »

Don't never argue with an Idiot!
Because he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #137 on: March 15, 2023, 08:28:59 AM »
I pulled one of the front coil orders apart last night. I had noticed that there is a longer primary spring vs the secondary. Seemed backwards to myself but there are lots of combos for dialing in shocks. I don't like that at full droop the slider is off the shock body .75" either. So the longer/taller primary coil is 12" 200 and the secondary is a 10" 350........ on a 10" stroke coil assist air shock. The 2.0 coil assist air shock has a taller/longer body then a standard c/o does and a 1.25" shaft vs 7/8.  A lot heavier coil rates then i would've chose but I know he swapped out to them as there were plans of his father joing him on more trips. 

Front end is back together so no I'm changing the intake gasket and she should be ready for a run this weekend if we don't get the snow they are forecasting tomorrow. 70* today, snow tomorrow  :m

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #138 on: March 15, 2023, 11:01:41 AM »
Forecast was for 70 @ LS today ----------------------with 23-55 mph winds. I was going to go down but eff that with the wind. Would be smooth sailing though.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #139 on: March 16, 2023, 09:10:04 AM »
So is little Sahara dumping grounds for the hazardous waste disposal company?

https://www.koco.com/article/oklahoma-stitt-toxic-waste-ohio-shipment/43283276

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #140 on: March 16, 2023, 10:17:52 AM »
LOL,I don't think so but......................... The facility has a waynoka address but it is located south to hwy 412 and then east a bit. I doubt it should be a concern. We had a Clean Harbors here in Coffeyville for many years and they burned a LOT of haz materials,  there. Never a problem. I'm pretty confident that Clean Harbors operate the Lone Mountain facility responsibility. Of course my kids have 6 fingers on each hand and webbed toes so what do I know?  :nw :m :m
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #141 on: March 16, 2023, 11:48:51 AM »
Good to know
And

LMAO LMAO rofl rofl

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #142 on: March 22, 2023, 02:45:24 PM »
Been enjoying a very giving cold! So I pulled the upper and lower intake on the 3800 last night. Could not find signs of a leak i to #4 cyl. Infact, cannot see how coolant would ever vet past those gaskets to the center 2 cyl intake tracts. #4 is a middle cyl. So I went o line and searched for common issues with upper and lower intakes. I assumed I was looking at a cracked aluminum lower intake or worst case the head. Turns out that just under the throttle body , on the plastic upper intake, there is an egg port with coolant flow. If that o ring goes out or the plastic upper manifold warps from heat, that can leak into the intake and manifest as smoke out of the tail pipe. Found out last night that 1995 and up isn't the same as 1995  ;)  so title read 1995 but build date is 7/94  so damn split year model with last years parts. New gasket sets just showed so we will see.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #143 on: March 22, 2023, 08:54:33 PM »
Nice and easy fix!!!!!! 8) 8) 8) 8)
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #144 on: March 23, 2023, 10:35:38 AM »
I hope it is and expect it to be. Had a bun h of arronds to run last night so didn't get back to it.

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #145 on: March 25, 2023, 11:57:42 AM »
The way gm ported the coolant passages to the egr and civil are Very intersting. I used a blow gun to trace the passages on upper and lower intakes. There is a hose that comes off the water pump that is a direct passage, through the lower intake that feed up into the egr port through the upper and back down to the lower, ported back into a y intersection . So I tapped the lower and silicone plugs. Permanently  blocking the egr coolant port. That way if there is a crack in or around the ear itself coolant cannot even get to it. The plastic upper , ear coolant ports, have degraded and the inners had broke down not applying enough pressure to the o ring but can't be where it was actually leaking. The odd part is that its only in cyl #4  and still suspect the head. We will see.

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #146 on: March 25, 2023, 12:02:45 PM »

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #147 on: March 25, 2023, 04:31:47 PM »
I'll let it sit overnight and fill the coolant tomorrow and fire it off. The gasket set did not come with a throttle body gasket but I pulled it anyway. Gm really missed the mark on cooling the egr port! I see why the plastic warps there and had they ported that into the aluminum tb that wouldn't happen. The plastic upper did start distorting at the tb edge where the coolant is ported in and enough the sand actually started to wick in. Cleaned all and added black rtv and re assembled. All back together now so we will see. Still wouldn't think that would only show up in cyl #4 but stranger things have happened. Going to run it either way until it gets worse or blows I guess. Short of all that its got to be a cracked lower internally or a cracked head or head gasket. No pressure seen in the radiator though and its weird it only beginning once its 100* or better. Time will tell and those motors are cheap to replace. Didnt the any pics of the tb and cleaned the butterfly plated and housing while it was apart. Starting to form a slight ridge where the butterfly sits while closed.

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #148 on: March 26, 2023, 07:23:37 AM »
And of course it snowed again last night.

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #149 on: March 28, 2023, 08:54:57 AM »
Gave all the silicone and adhesives 1.5 days of cure time. 47* ish yesterday and 95% of that snow was gone. A little wet still but not bad overall. After I got home I changed the oil, vacuum filled the coolant, hit the lug nuts with the impact to be safe lol and fired it off . The very minor intermittent miss is completely gone and the motor idles quieter.  Smoked for quite a while  with the coolant that went down the intakes. Took it for a maiden voyage, a few 1st gear runs in the drive just to get it to temp and hear the fans cycle once. Glad i did as i had forgotten to replace a missing bolt in one of the steering u joints. Steering wheel pulled out but not bad as it was in the drive. Then ran it down the county road and struck 5k rpm in 3rd a few times.

I have a 3" larger od steering wheel i will install as the lack of eps is noticeable  ;D  brakes are a 2 pump just to slow down so need to bleed them, clutch slave needs. Led to as it had a few moments as well. Not used to those shifters but getting better. Doesnt have the power I remember my old blue one did but that had a series II 3.8 v6 which stock , had another 30 hp and 24 lbs lighter I think. Either that or the punch of the turbo 4 has just been superior even though it has never been right due to mechanical cam timing.

Very happy to drive it after all these years. I do need to check the alternator again. The engine died a couple times during missed shifts and I wonder if the alt is glitches or the iac needs replaced. I know when I checked the alt output a couple weeks ago it was only 13.5 to 13.8 , fluctuating, at idle. Rev it up to 1500 to 2k rpm and it was only 14v but that is a fully charged brand new optima battery. I question it because my series II 3.8 in my commuter car is 14.1 to 14. 4 consistently at idle. The alt wire to the battery was burnt off of this alt as well.  I took a horrible video trying to hold my cell while driving it and cannot upload to YouTube off my phone for some reason.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal