Author Topic: got the red rail home.  (Read 32636 times)

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
Re: got the red rail home.
« Reply #150 on: March 29, 2023, 07:44:27 AM »
Took it for a another "test run" last night since the sun was out and it was low 40's again, Heat wave lol. So topped off the coolant and only needed half a qt. That vac fill system works sooooo well. Tighted a few bolts that I knew I forgot. Bled the clutch and brakes. Brakes are 10x better but not great and may not be by design. The clutch slave cyl got worse and may need to be replaced. I only needed one gear so I took off anyway. Turns out if you pu.p the clutch 5 or 6 times quick you can shift lol I will dig into that tonight. Luckily the slave and master cyl are both available and speedway is on my way home.  This rail def needs a small lift to pull a wheelie but I got it. Didnt expect it to launch like that so caught 1' of air and was trying to as that better left for 4 or 5 test run.  :m
" the less talent they have, the more pride, vanity and arrogance they have. All these fools, however, find other fools who applauded them " .    ERASMUS 1509

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #151 on: March 29, 2023, 08:33:11 AM »
Sounds like you will have it whipped soon. Do I assume you will get the new tranny into your rail for next spring run?
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #152 on: March 29, 2023, 08:37:26 AM »
Sounds like you will have it whipped soon. Do I assume you will get the new tranny into your rail for next spring run?

Short of some catastrophe,  definitely spring 2024. If everything goes well and I don't change my mind or second guess myself to much, then possibly fall trip 2023.
" the less talent they have, the more pride, vanity and arrogance they have. All these fools, however, find other fools who applauded them " .    ERASMUS 1509

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #153 on: March 29, 2023, 10:13:46 AM »
The 3800 series III has 25 to 30 hp over the series II and 26lbs lighter then series II. Now series II has 25 to 30 hp over series I ( which is in scotts rail with series II coils on it now) and 22 lbs lighter then series I. Series II and III have more sensors but series III is drive by wire. I am not a fan of that for off road. Thats my opinion and I would swap throttle bodies back to series II but then you would need to have a dyno with hp tuner software tune the oem ecu if one is running oem. I am in this case and did on my blue v6 with 3800  series II.

I say all that as this series I has 3x more bottom end tq then my turbo 2300 but .......... thats all it has over it !!!. This v6 lacks the punch and top end of the turbo 2300. Now the series II has more top end then series I or atleast in this case as rev limiter hits at 5600 rpm vs 6450 with the series II. Yes I have hit the rev limiter several times in the test runs. Need to know if its going to window the block or not while there's time to swap it out. 

My turbo 2300 has never run to its potential for damn sure but what a difference that punch makes even with a leaking exh manifold the last 3 years!

I've taken this one as far as I will. I will run it until mine is back on its wheels and then I'm giving it to my daughter and son in law to enjoy and maintain. May not be top of the line but....
 A far cry nicer then a beam /swing axle combo with a slightly warmed up air called engine.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2023, 10:29:37 AM by dsrace »

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #154 on: March 29, 2023, 11:18:04 AM »

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #155 on: March 29, 2023, 11:19:23 AM »

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #157 on: March 30, 2023, 06:53:35 PM »
 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) Turn that cam around next time. I wanna see his expression!
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #158 on: March 31, 2023, 09:40:43 AM »
8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) Turn that cam around next time. I wanna see his expression!

:m he was filming with his cell phone or I would. If I get him to go to the dunes for a trip I will definitely  turn the go pro around.

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #159 on: April 03, 2023, 10:03:20 AM »
South end of my drive has an small uphill run. I was stabbing it in 1st up that portion and starting to pull small wheelies before tire broke traction or bounced off the rev limiter. FYI, the rev limiter on the series I is almost 1000 rpm lower then series II or this oem pcm wasnt calibrated properly for. Manual trans when Scott sent it in to 3800 performance to have it flashed.

So , last wheelie I tried to pull through a rock off the rear tire and took out the  drivers side mirror  :D

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #160 on: April 03, 2023, 10:05:27 AM »
Also installed a larger dia steering wheel thinking it would help better control the little bit of bump the front end has......... sure feels like more feedback. I have simply gotten used to eps and am spoiled for sure.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #161 on: April 03, 2023, 11:14:36 AM »
Also installed a larger dia steering wheel thinking it would help better control the little bit of bump the front end has......... sure feels like more feedback. I have simply gotten used to eps and am spoiled for sure.
Ummmm,yup. I'd never go back to manual labor steering. :m
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #162 on: April 04, 2023, 11:52:12 AM »
Ummmm,y
up. I'd never go back to manual labor steering. :m

Hopefully I only have to endure it 1 trip maybe 2  ;D

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #163 on: April 05, 2023, 07:55:34 AM »
I changed the oil again last night for the 3rd time since I fired it off. Pulled the dipstick sun and noticed that the oil was on inch above the full hot mark on the dipstick. Worried that I was making oil as in fuel or coolant some how, I dropped it to look, smell and make sure. 5 qts came out and 5 qts went back in. Book says 4.9 with filter so scott must have grabbed a dipstick from one of the other motors and used that. Thats the only thing I can come up with. 

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #164 on: April 05, 2023, 09:15:28 AM »
Gotta have wtf moments .
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal