Author Topic: Summer Upgrades  (Read 28176 times)

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
Re: Summer Upgrades
« Reply #90 on: January 28, 2017, 08:32:51 AM »
that is always disappointing but sounds like you got your current tune smoothed pretty nice. now i don't know what the price range on the turbonetics it but if it's close to what the borg warner efr series is i would get one of those. they will offer the best performance for your app but they are $1700
" the less talent they have, the more pride, vanity and arrogance they have. All these fools, however, find other fools who applauded them " .    ERASMUS 1509

Offline Punkur67

« Reply #91 on: January 28, 2017, 01:46:51 PM »
that is always disappointing but sounds like you got your current tune smoothed pretty nice. now i don't know what the price range on the turbonetics it but if it's close to what the borg warner efr series is i would get one of those. they will offer the best performance for your app but they are $1700
I can get the turbonetics T3/T4 from outfront for about $750 with standard polished finish and $850 polished, ceramic coated, and painted. And i already have a Tial wastegate. Whats the deal on the borg warner that makes it that much better?
Its better to be a smartass than a dumbass!

Offline Enemy

• F*CK NA i lOvE BooST
« Reply #92 on: January 28, 2017, 03:51:43 PM »
The EFR's are state of the art where the journal bearing gt series Garrett (hybrids) are 30 year old technology.
Titanium lightweight shafts on dual ceramic ball bearings (they spool yesterday)
Wastegate built in
Boost controler built in
Ricirculation valve built in
Provisions for shaft speed sensor. (helpful if ya plan on taking a turbo to the very edge)

http://www.full-race.com/articles/borgwarner-efr-turbos.html

Be sure to weigh in all the cost of putting together all the plumbing with a non wategated turbo with boost control and a quality blowoff valve, you may be close to an EFR purchase that has boost control dialed in on it's internal gate built in.

For your 2.5 I think the 6258 would be a wonderful performer IMO.

This turbo gives me wood.
That's all I got.
 ;D
"If the hate of men could be turned into electricity, it would light up the whole world."   ~Nikola Tesla

Offline Enemy

• F*CK NA i lOvE BooST
« Reply #93 on: January 28, 2017, 03:56:15 PM »
AND water-cooled!!!
Very beneficial to run the plumbing and keep the center section cooler and happier after abrupt shut down while adding a thermal beerier for the compressor housing, but not mandatory to run according to BorgW.

I priced put a built t3/t4 hybrid with watercooled CC and ceramic bearings and it was beyond the cost of an EFR.
"If the hate of men could be turned into electricity, it would light up the whole world."   ~Nikola Tesla

Offline Punkur67

« Reply #94 on: February 10, 2017, 06:43:01 AM »
Well.....I picked up a new Turbonetics T3/T4, Tial BOV, header with larger tubes, and fuel rails from Outfront. Also fabbed up a new intake setup with a new filter. My plan is to get it tuned next Friday morning and head out to Glamis for the weekend. I still need to build a support for the air filter, install the new fuel rails, and weld on the BOV.   

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #95 on: February 10, 2017, 06:56:28 AM »
looks good and if they don't come up with another reason why they can't and you need more parts you'll love the new power !
" the less talent they have, the more pride, vanity and arrogance they have. All these fools, however, find other fools who applauded them " .    ERASMUS 1509

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #96 on: February 10, 2017, 08:03:23 AM »
vroom,vroom,vroom....................woohoo!!!!!
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline DeepBusch69

« Reply #97 on: February 10, 2017, 08:32:47 AM »
Looking good Punkur!  The guys I know that went to 15 lbs boost, it really woke the motor up; you'll love it. 
Question:  My turbo looks a lot like your new one, bought it from outback in 09.  But my receipt says it is a E40 turbo.  (I thought it was a T3/T4 when I bought it) My next step is 15 lbs also.  Do you think they are the same?  What does your receipt say?  I guess I need to call them.......thanks

Offline Punkur67

« Reply #98 on: February 10, 2017, 08:46:23 AM »
Looking good Punkur!  The guys I know that went to 15 lbs boost, it really woke the motor up; you'll love it. 
Question:  My turbo looks a lot like your new one, bought it from outback in 09.  But my receipt says it is a E40 turbo.  (I thought it was a T3/T4 when I bought it) My next step is 15 lbs also.  Do you think they are the same?  What does your receipt say?  I guess I need to call them.......thanks
I am not familiar with an E40 turbo. That may be a part number they use for a specific exhaust and/or turbine combo. I had to burn my receipt before the wife saw it laying around! Haha. I would call Outfront and ask, they are very helpful.
My T3 was running 12.5 pounds of boost. From my conversations with John it sounds like I will be around 15-18 pounds when we are done with the new setup

Offline big dave

« Reply #99 on: February 13, 2017, 07:34:39 AM »
looking good. sounds like it will Be a runner.

Offline Punkur67

« Reply #100 on: February 14, 2017, 08:59:04 PM »
I spent Sunday and monday night trying to figure out why the car would not run. I found the Aeromotive A750 chewed itself up on the inside. The pump was running but only building a couple pounds. When I pulled it out a graphite looking sludge came out of it. The pre filter was clean and the post filter had the sludge in it too. I swapped the pump out for my old Bosch pump and it fired right up and ran great.
I took the car to Outfront today and it went well. I told John I was looking for 400hp on the motor. He told me a 400hp motor will read around 266 to the wheels on his dyno. After bumping the boost to 15 psi and adjusting fuel and timing I ended up with 268 hp to the tires. Definitely a big difference from my first 2.0 and the motor with the T3 turbo. Should be able to test everything out this weekend if the weather will cooperate.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2017, 09:00:47 PM by Punkur67 »

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #101 on: February 15, 2017, 07:51:43 AM »
Sounds like you will be/are a happy camper!
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Punkur67

« Reply #102 on: February 15, 2017, 08:06:32 AM »
Here is one of the pulls
« Last Edit: February 18, 2017, 08:21:17 PM by fabr »

Offline Punkur67

« Reply #103 on: February 18, 2017, 08:04:20 PM »
Cant figure out why the video wont inbed...

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #104 on: February 18, 2017, 08:20:21 PM »
Remove the s in https
and it will work.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal