Author Topic: TOTAL LOW BUDGET BUILD  (Read 20942 times)

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
  • Wishin I was there. "Glamis"
Re: TOTAL LOW BUDGET BUILD
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2009, 10:16:46 AM »
There was a NICE SandRocket at Silver Lake this year near the end of the summer and the thing would turn and steer awesome. It also jumped quite well. The idea that a a vehicle HAS to be rear engine to jump well is a myth and I have seen more rear engines kick the back end UP if it was a kicker jump. With a smooth jump it seems to make little to no differance!

Plus the guy was dragging all the "California" cars with rear engines and kicking their asses at dragging. Most of the rear engines with enough power to run with him could not keep the front end down and would drag the rear while he walked away across the sand from them. 

Wheelies are kinda cool but I would prefer to win the race myself.

Hell I think even a mini rail with a bike motor sideways and a dwarf car adaptor feeding a tiny car IRS would be a great way to go. An Inline reverser is the only real $$$ part. An electric starter reverse near the motor could be added cheap enough. Just my .00002 sense...

Your mission isn't to dive feet first into hell, but to make sure its crowded when you get there.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2009, 10:21:39 AM »
Take a torque monster shaft drive MC like ,for example, a Honda Goldwing or something similar. Front engine it .
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2009, 10:30:18 AM »
Take a torque monster shaft drive MC like ,for example, a Honda Goldwing or something similar. Front engine it .

Good idea! If you score a Honda goldwing with reverse it takes care of that issue too!
Your mission isn't to dive feet first into hell, but to make sure its crowded when you get there.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2009, 10:34:55 AM »
My point exactly.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Engineer

• Inquisitor
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2009, 10:40:32 AM »
The only drawback I see on the SandRocket is the IRS rear.  I think they have the motor mounted pretty far back for balance.  It probably makes the driveshaft very short, which would make much travel difficult with a live rear.  Of course with the IRS each side has an axle no more than 24" long, so I don't see how the tranny to rear driveshaft could be much shorter.

Here is the picture I was thinking of:

Oops....  Try this one instead:

Here is the thread with more pictures.

http://dtsfab.com/index/index.php?topic=619.30

It would probably be light enough that you could use the Shocks that Hemi43 did and leverage them up for more travel.  Or double them up, cause you can't beat the price.

http://dtsfab.com/index/index.php?topic=2203.60

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2009, 10:43:52 AM »
I LOVE the steering on that top one! LOL!
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2009, 11:02:50 AM »
I myself do not see a drawback to the IRS rear in the sand rockets really.

Even if you use a Jaugier Diff like they often do its not much wider than a Mendeola so travel can be similair. Since the motors weight is being carried a bit more by the front the rear should have no trouble dealing with odd terrain with as much or nearly as much travel. Just my thoughts on it.

Same for the Ford diffs and any others you might run acorss.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2009, 11:07:12 AM »
FOr drag racing the independent is a poor choice is what I THINK engineer was meaning but maybe not.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

SPEC

« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2009, 11:29:47 AM »
I think you guys are missing the point here
I'm so not interested in building a MC powered unit...If I wanted to stay with a mini mc or sled powered unit...I'D KEEP MY 750... or stuff the cbr 1000 in it
I don't .... So why would I fook around with a goldwing motor?
When I got 3X the power and torque, reverse, powersteering and did I say reliable reverse in a simple, durable, and lowbuck package?
The only problem I see with an IRS rear end is this...I don't want one.......How many seasons are guys getting out of cv"s or UJ Indy rears?
I'm thinking straight axle for the sheer reliability of it and total lack of maintenance...Plus I have 3 on hand
If I wanted IRS I'd have kept the subi ,Jag, and Datsun units I had in stock...
The point of this build is to spend almost no money with the kind of stuff most rednecks like me have laying around...

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2009, 12:09:15 PM »
Ok yah we got a lil off the topic...  :-[

I can see what you wish to do. Seen it done and they are a lot of fun and work great on the budget and low main.

I guess the real question is how much travel? With a solid axlerear -v-8 front travel is determined by length of driveshaft.  To short you limit travel. To long traction becomes an issue if only 2wd.

As for the IRS jag rear ends I have found them for $150.00 at junkyards before so its not that much IF you got a good repoor with them unless there is a kilelr demand for siad item.

The amount of travel of course decides the CV's life. I know you need AMAP.   

Offline thedoctor

• Fabricator
« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2009, 01:58:28 PM »
I think you guys are missing the point. You don't have to have long travel to have fun in the sand. I believe Spec has mentioned his back cannot take hitting the whoops at speed. We all get caught up in the latest trend[long travel everything]. It cost a lot less to do 10 to 12" of travel. I'm with you Spec, I don't need long to have fun. Tim
In the words of my father "Never give up too soon, you might miss a good piece."

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2009, 02:21:42 PM »
Yeah,I don't need long....... shit!Off topic again...................................
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2009, 02:25:33 PM »
I agree you don't need long travel but Specs mentioned before the softer the ride the better and the longer it is (relatively speaking) the softer it could be made to be easier on him.

Even an IRS rear end can be made to go more than 10-12 pretty easy. Specs got most of the rest it sounds like.

The straight axle's only down fall is it will torque the chassis some. IRS may ride a tad better BUT dollar for dollar I can see why he might want the straight axle. 

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2009, 02:28:19 PM »
Ya,spec, I know what you're trying to do and feel it can be done. Keep your eye on the objective. Don't let us deter you! LOL!!!Solid rear with good articulation can go a lot of places especially if it has a locker or spool in it. As said , you limit travel with  the angle  the driveshaft can live at..
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

SPEC

« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2009, 03:48:53 PM »
I was doing some math and geometry Points stuff this morning
With a 48" drive shaft I can get almost 24" of travel with out over angling th UJ's on the drive shaft

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal