Author Topic: DS a-arm kit information needed.  (Read 101939 times)

Offline fabr

• Administrator
Re: DS a-arm kit information needed.
« Reply #345 on: September 10, 2021, 05:39:35 PM »
With enough spread on the frame arm mounts the a-arms can be very sturdy. Two different times I snagged the same tree solid ,came to a dead stop immediately at LS at probably 35-40 mph with my busa buggy. Approx 2000 #'s. I pulled the 2 of the mid board hubs bolts from the carrier 1 time and 4 completely out with the last 2 pulled badly the second time.  Neither time was an arm damaged. Neither time were the frame mounts bent or damaged in any way.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #346 on: September 11, 2021, 06:17:18 AM »
With enough spread on the frame arm mounts the a-arms can be very sturdy. Two different times I snagged the same tree solid ,came to a dead stop immediately at LS at probably 35-40 mph with my busa buggy. Approx 2000 #'s. I pulled the 2 of the mid board hubs bolts from the carrier 1 time and 4 completely out with the last 2 pulled badly the second time.  Neither time was an arm damaged. Neither time were the frame mounts bent or damaged in any way.

very min damage then!
Don't never argue with an Idiot!
Because he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #347 on: September 11, 2021, 06:35:41 AM »
Nothing  that helicoils couldn't fix.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Aprilfools

• Fabricator
« Reply #348 on: September 16, 2021, 05:47:15 AM »
So one more question to the equation;
As the rear arm gets longer & wider, what is the point for angle on the CV both down and back before the trans should be moved back?
Pending which way i go on updating the rear i could be doing a lot more work than i originally thought!
O-well, part of the fun.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #349 on: September 16, 2021, 06:27:00 AM »
It is best to have axles perpendicular to the car center line with a arms. Things get wonky if not. A lot depends on whether you use plunging cv's or non plunging cv's.  Keeping cv pivot points in line with the a arm pivot points is by far the best as it will allow you to use solid axles without slip joints that are just bad news at some point.  Upper and lower arms need to be equal length for simplicity and to avoid slip joint axles.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #350 on: September 16, 2021, 11:41:55 AM »
^^^^^  what he said.
now if your speaking of TA's then i believe at full droop you want the axle perpendicular to the trans. so when the ta is horizontal ( level) the axle is pointed back to reduce plunge. now..... i do not know what angles or max limits on ta design.

Offline BrianN

« Reply #351 on: September 16, 2021, 01:12:32 PM »
When I swapped my buggy from swing axle VW/VW motor to Subaru motor/Subaru transmission, and built my multi link rear suspension, I didn't have a clue what I was doing. I just built everything and hoped for the best! At ride height, my axles are actually angled forward, compared to everyone else's that are angled back. I am not a perfectionist  and it has always worked, so I left it alone. I have probably had people notice this and thought, "That will never work"! Glen would have told me to put away the crack pipe. LOL!

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #352 on: September 16, 2021, 01:35:19 PM »
When I swapped my buggy from swing axle VW/VW motor to Subaru motor/Subaru transmission, and built my multi link rear suspension, I didn't have a clue what I was doing. I just built everything and hoped for the best! At ride height, my axles are actually angled forward, compared to everyone else's that are angled back. I am not a perfectionist  and it has always worked, so I left it alone. I have probably had people notice this and thought, "That will never work"! Glen would have told me to put away the crack pipe. LOL!
TRUE!!!!!! :m
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Aprilfools

• Fabricator
« Reply #353 on: September 24, 2021, 07:14:15 AM »
Appreciate the feedback 👍

Offline Aprilfools

• Fabricator
« Reply #354 on: October 26, 2021, 07:05:07 PM »
So an update on the VW engine with the Ford 2.3 fuel injection on it we discussed a few pages back.
We put this motor back in and it fired right up. Drivability was not that great though. After some tinkering and not getting the fuel pressure to be stable I found that issue. I discovered the petcock at the bottom of the tank was about 70% plugged so the fuel pressure was all over. Cleared that out and we now have it running fairly decent. 

Engine starts and idles good. Going through the gears it cruises ok. Start to roll into it and its sluggish or lazy, especially at 5-10lbs boost which is confusing. Around 14lbs it comes to life, starts to build more boost really quickly and really pulls hard. Around 18lbs boost runs out fuel and misses rather abruptly.  Not good. Definitely more boost than I plan to run on this engine but i need to figure out this fuel issue then I plan to dial down the boost.

I have used 2 different pumps with the same results. I can run it out fuel whether I'm at 40lbs or 60lbs of intial pressure. The regulator is working correctly and adding 1/1. If I set the pump at 40lbs it runs out of fuel at 60lbs of fuel pressure on boost. If I set the regulator at 60lbs it runs out of fuel at 80lbs when on boost. Same result even at a higher pressure.

So here's my question, do you think the injectors could be to small? Currently running 4 new FJ20 injectors rated at 35lbs. I have searched all over looking for bigger options. These are low impedance injectors and I just cannot find any low impedance injectors higher than this. I was thinking 42lb but no luck finding them. Anyone think this may be the issue and if so have any knowledge on injectors or where they can be had?

Thanks

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #355 on: October 26, 2021, 07:40:02 PM »
on the turbo 2.3 the stock inj's were 35lb and factory set for 14 psi with prem fuel switch on. guys run 18 psi on them all the time with a base psi of 43.  so i find it very odd that you only have a 20 psi window no matter the base pressure. that would lead me to believe that your pressure reg is to blame.  not sure and i assume you swapped the fuel filter to be sure it wasn't plugged or near plugged. are you running the vam meter off the stock lima 2.3 system? i ask as this sounds like an issue with the old mass air flow system. almost like your rising rate fuel reg has a ceiling it cannot get past.

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #356 on: October 26, 2021, 07:40:53 PM »
btw , only half the order showed while i was at the dunes. received an e mail that the rest shipped today.

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #357 on: October 26, 2021, 07:42:46 PM »
just out of curiosity, what did you gap the plugs at?

Offline Aprilfools

• Fabricator
« Reply #358 on: October 26, 2021, 09:04:21 PM »
on the turbo 2.3 the stock inj's were 35lb and factory set for 14 psi with prem fuel switch on. guys run 18 psi on them all the time with a base psi of 43.  so i find it very odd that you only have a 20 psi window no matter the base pressure. that would lead me to believe that your pressure reg is to blame.  not sure and i assume you swapped the fuel filter to be sure it wasn't plugged or near plugged. are you running the vam meter off the stock lima 2.3 system? i ask as this sounds like an issue with the old mass air flow system. almost like your rising rate fuel reg has a ceiling it cannot get past.

I did clean the filter out as well so that is good. Before we discovered the fuel blockage I did change out the regulator from one of our EcoBoost cars as I thought that may have been causing the issue. So the regulator is one from a running boosted car. It is odd how at 2 different base pressure settings it hits a wall after a 20lb increase on boost, it acts like it wants more but it just runs out enough fuel supply.  But I questioned the injectors just couldn't keep up. And I wondered if that was causing the lazy feeling as well as it first comes on boost to. This engine still has alot more potential if we could just get past whatever is running it out of fuel. It is night and day compared to when we started but its definitely not rite yet.
I hadn't even thought to check the plug gap, they were put in by the engine builder so I didnt think of that, I'll give them a look.
And it is using the stock vam, I keep staring at that eye sore and wondering if its hindering this project. Would be nice to know for sure if that was causing the issues for sure before looking into other options.
I want to double check the timing so I'll check the plug gaps when I do that to and report back.
Thanks

Offline Aprilfools

• Fabricator
« Reply #359 on: October 26, 2021, 09:07:50 PM »
btw , only half the order showed while i was at the dunes. received an e mail that the rest shipped today.

No problem at all, have not had a chance to get started on this yet here either. We are going to stripping one of the rails later this week. We have to get the engine pulled and into the frame that is getting the a-arm kit so lots to do yet.

More importantly, how was the dune trip?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal