Author Topic: EPS Mounting  (Read 52793 times)

Online DeepBusch69

EPS Mounting
« on: February 23, 2018, 02:19:31 PM »
I'm getting my EPS mounted.  I have it bolted in on the bottom, was thinking I need to tie it in from the top also.  How have you guys mounted yours?  I don't want to overkill it, but that usually works out best. 

Good reply enemy!   LMAO

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
Re: EPS Mounting
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2018, 02:29:14 PM »
good reply enemy!!!!! wth where's the love  bs1 bs1 bs1 bs1  rofl rofl rofl i have a few pics of mine at home i'll post later. i set my electric motor side ways so pointed straight out pass side.
Don't never argue with an Idiot!
Because he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2018, 02:32:46 PM »
1:34 stop the video enlarge the screen on 720p and you can see what direction i mounted mine. i supported with one bolt front on top and the factory mount on the bottom.

Online DeepBusch69

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2018, 02:52:39 PM »
thanks.   mine needs another bracket after looking longer.  too much vibration and leverage

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2018, 04:50:01 PM »
Too late now but I'd have mounted it closer to the steering wheel if possible. I agree you need something at the top of the mounting plate.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2018, 05:08:55 PM »
Too late now but I'd have mounted it closer to the steering wheel if possible. I agree you need something at the top of the mounting plate.
        why closer to the steering wheel? just wondering as i pondered this before i installed mine. i have a hood though. i just decided in the end i didnt want to hit my knee on it.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2018, 05:20:32 PM »
        why closer to the steering wheel? just wondering as i pondered this before i installed mine. i have a hood though. i just decided in the end i didnt want to hit my knee on it.
Many buggies have more available tubes to hang it from up there. Many don't though. I think Mitch's car does but I may be remembering wrong.It really makes no difference where you mount it when it comes to how it performs.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Online DeepBusch69

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2018, 07:00:28 AM »
Thanks all.  I was needing the weight as far fwd as possible, to help keep the front end down. 

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2018, 08:12:22 AM »
every bit helps.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2018, 08:56:21 AM »
allen moved his batt and 5 gal fuel tank up the nose to shift weight.     i didn't save any of the pics i took of my eps when i installed it. i thought i posted pics but didn't see them in the build thread either. looks good so far just brace it for rotational force and getting bounce back and fourth and you'll be good.

Offline big dave

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2018, 07:34:47 AM »
I have mine mounted just off the 3 bolts. have not seen a problem. as for location. I have seen them mounted right of the rack and right at the steering wheel. to me its personal preference

Offline Enemy

• F*CK NA i lOvE BooST
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2018, 12:42:14 PM »
Found a forum thread that was very informative with pictures and wiring diagrams on some of the EPS units out there, maybe some will get some use out of it--> http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/mod-custom-forum/1008722-electric-steering-fail-safe-no-ebay-module-needed-pics-videos.html#/topics/1008722

Have to register to view the stuff, but well worth it.
"If the hate of men could be turned into electricity, it would light up the whole world."   ~Nikola Tesla

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2018, 01:35:25 PM »
good info there. a shame he didnt include amp draw info too. i think i looked at the yaris way back and i believe it is the low amp draw model.  idk if they work in fail safe mode. if theres an ebay controller from the guy i bought mine from then its a good $55 free shipping spent!

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2018, 02:03:58 PM »
have to log in for pictures but here's the print

Electric Steering with Fail-Safe: No eBay module needed. Pics & Videos !
It has been couple of years since I first posted the Electric Steering idea. My car has progressed far enough and I was ready for it as well so I though I would share the direction I went.

Couple of months ago, I was at my location pic-a-part and ran into a 2010 Toyota Corolla and a 2009 Toyota Prius and I pulled both of them and took a risk. To my amazement, both of these worked on the bench with only the Ignition On, heavy gauge Power and Ground. That's it! 3 wire connection. After further digging and finding the service manuals, I found that these units go in to a Fail-Safe mode and provide steering effort that is just about right when the CAN BUS not present in about 10 seconds. No eBay module needed!

I was not done. I pulled a 2014 Kia Soul EPS, a 2010 Nissan Cube and a 2008 Nissan Versa and all worked in a Fail-Safe mode and without the eBay module. I also pulled a 2007 Toyota Yaris that also works in fail safe mode but requires a VSS signal.

The biggest advantage is obviously they all work in fail safe mode but also they have a remotely mounted ECU that can be unplugged. It's important to get the ECU when pulling the Electric Steering Column.

My testing leads me to believe that just about any Japanese car brand with Electric Steering works in Fail-Safe mode. I did test the Chevy Cobalt and does not work in Fail-Safe just like Saturn Vue even though they are all made by Koyo. For me, I would trust any EPS working in Fail-Safe mode as intended by the manufacture over adding external non-factory module. Lots of testing and development goes on in to these systems.

Below is the list of Car that I know of that has Fail-Safe Electric Steering:

2004-2009 Toyota Prius
2009-2013 Toyota Corolla
2006-2011 Toyota Yaris - (With ABS works in Fail-Safe).
2006-2011 Toyota Yaris - (Non-ABS needs VSS signal or flashing LED)
2007-2009 Nissan Versa
2009-2012 Nissan Cube
2012-2014 Kia Soul

I will be updating this list as I find more information.

Waid

« Last Edit: February 27, 2018, 02:34:54 PM by dsrace »

Offline Enemy

• F*CK NA i lOvE BooST
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2018, 03:01:24 PM »
Ya beat me to the steal DS!

Well his vid is good to on "how they work"

"If the hate of men could be turned into electricity, it would light up the whole world."   ~Nikola Tesla

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal