Author Topic: Minor (and luckily all) LS Carnage  (Read 4735 times)

Offline Boostinjdm

Re: Minor (and luckily all) LS Carnage
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2010, 03:51:35 PM »
Trying to follow along.......What collars are these?  The ones between the two different springs, or the ones at the top that set preload?  I've got a solution if they're the ones at the top.  Got a pic of the full shock so I can see what you're talking about. 
This post has been edited due to content.

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2010, 03:53:44 PM »
first post shows all you need
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Boostinjdm

« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2010, 03:56:51 PM »
first post shows all you need

Still not following....at least refresh my memory on what shocks you're using and I'll go look and the manufacturer's site. eyes

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2010, 04:10:59 PM »
Pic #2. See the collar with 2 holes for setscrews,one missing? It sets the crossover point for the primary spring. The setscrews are backing off and letting the collar screw down. At some point the collarwill be below the coil bind point and when you go full bump the spring slider you see in pic1 will be forced over the collar-exploding the slider. The fix needed is a better way of retaining the collar adjustment other than the 2 small setscrews that have very little support to actually torque them down. There is very little clearance to do much though other than possibly a 2 piece set of collars similar to the preload collars. Seems to me to be the way to go.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Boostinjdm

« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2010, 04:32:48 PM »
From what I can gather (and imagine)  the slider typically is floating below the collar.  Once the softer spring compresses a set amount, the slider makes contact with the collar and the primary spring takes over from there.  Correct?  So that collar can take a pretty hard hit from time to time causing the set screws to lose their set and allow the collar to vibrate and work it's way down the threads.  Then the collar take a really hard hit and the slider gives up.

Your solution is to have two collars and tighten them against each other like double nutting a bolt?

I'll offer another solution.  If you know where you want your collars, why not make a spacer like a crush sleeve that reaches all the way to the top?  That way the few threads in the collar and the set screws aren't taking all the abuse that loosens them in the first place.

Offline Carlriddle

• Another build? What are you thinking?
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2010, 04:39:41 PM »
I agree w/Boost kick  Order 2nd set of collar tighten together w/triple loctite.  Could just tig weld the bastards together for added safty. nono nono LMAO rofl LMAO nono nono
You can keep your CHANGE, I'd like to keep my DOLLAR.

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2010, 04:40:03 PM »
From what I can gather (and imagine)  the slider typically is floating below the collar.  Once the softer spring compresses a set amount, the slider makes contact with the collar and the primary spring takes over from there.  Correct? So that collar can take a pretty hard hit from time to time causing the set screws to lose their set and allow the collar to vibrate and work it's way down the threads.  Then the collar take a really hard hit and the slider gives up.

Your solution is to have two collars and tighten them against each other like double nutting a bolt?

I'll offer another solution.  If you know where you want your collars, why not make a spacer like a crush sleeve that reaches all the way to the top?  That way the few threads in the collar and the set screws aren't taking all the abuse that loosens them in the first place.
yesNo,there should be no "hit" ever. Only way that is if the spring stacks solid.  That's what happens when the collar works it;s way down. The spring should not stack solid.  Maybe a collarof longer length allowing more material in the setscrew area would work. The collars need to retain adjustability for varying conditions.I'm thinking the 2 piece collars like the preload collars would be best. Maybe not tho.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Boostinjdm

« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2010, 04:58:38 PM »
Any time the slider makes contact with the collar, it's experiencing a "hit".   A small one, but a "hit" none the less.  These little hits can loosen a set screw in short order. (you should know this, it doesn't only apply to shocks)  Especially if the collar to shock body threads have a lot of play.  I think your two collars tightened together will work, but if the threads are sloppy I would either get longer collars (more threads) or make some collars with less slop.  Doing both would be the best.

Offline BDKW1

« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2010, 05:29:02 PM »
Another good reason to run single rate with a tender..........

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2010, 06:54:49 PM »
Any time the slider makes contact with the collar, it's experiencing a "hit".   A small one, but a "hit" none the less.  These little hits can loosen a set screw in short order. (you should know this, it doesn't only apply to shocks)  Especially if the collar to shock body threads have a lot of play.  I think your two collars tightened together will work, but if the threads are sloppy I would either get longer collars (more threads) or make some collars with less slop.  Doing both would be the best.
DO you even know how the preload collars are designed on a Fox shock? Sloppy threads are a benefit as a tight fit will bind with mud/sand/muck.  There is a mating chamfer on both that easily lock one to the other. they don't just jam against each other. They wedge together securely. Have you ever actually had a Fox coilover in your hands? It doesn't sound like it. BTW ,I do not agree there is a hit at all that affect the set screws.  I do not believe that the slider contacting it has any effect on it coming loose as the shock body threads  take any hit. The spring however does rub on the crossover collar in both bump and droop and ,IMO,is the culprit along with the easy deflection of the collar that defies proper torqueing of the setscrews.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2010, 06:58:07 PM »
Another good reason to run single rate with a tender..........
IMO the choice is decided on the cars use whether single or dual rate would be better.In effect a single with tender is the same as a dual rate,just a variation of the same principle.One uses a slider and the other doesn't. Difference being the ability to choose/adjust where the crossover occurs with a slider involved.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

trans man

« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2010, 08:20:54 PM »
On King shocks they two separate collars that jam together to hold the secondary collar stop in place. What about getting 2 more fox collars and doing that same thing? 8) 8) 8)

trans man

« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2010, 08:26:00 PM »
Just like fox does on the ride height jam collars on the top of the shocks

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal