Author Topic: Slow Build by Engineer  (Read 86845 times)

Offline Engineer

• Inquisitor
  • Global Moderator
Re: Slow Build by Engineer
« Reply #135 on: October 04, 2010, 10:38:56 PM »
Wow Eng I like the jig mate oh and the build looks good too!  ;)

Thanks!  The jig is just 4 sawhorses leveled with a digital level and a nice straight aluminum bar.  ;)

I'd be willing to bet that as long as those 4 bolts STAY tight, the coefficient of friction between the plates is pretty high.  If your worried, I'd cut some key stock to fill the void on a couple of the slots when you get the chain tight.  As the chain stretches, just grind a little more the the key stock.  It's not the best solution, but it might be the cheapest and easiest.  Just my two cents.

By the way... It's looking very nice Eng!

Thanks!

I am actually not to worried about the bolts staying tight.  There will be a cinch bolt that pulls the carrier back to tighten the chain.  Between that and the friction between the plates like you mentioned it shouldn't be a problem.

I think everyone is concerned because this setup just doesn't look normal.  But the 4 bolts are spread apart by 9.5".  When the sprocket tries to twist the bearing, the front tabs will be pushed against the mount while the rear tabs will try to pull away.  The 9.5" separation gives lots of strength to resist that twist.  I understand the concern of the SHCS not bearing on much area.  Gonna need some nice washers.

Thanks for the input.  I will be monitoring those bolts closely!  ;D

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #136 on: October 05, 2010, 05:57:01 AM »
Personally I have no qualms about the bolts. It's the plate that concerns me. I hope it works well. Looks good.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Engineer

• Inquisitor
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #137 on: October 05, 2010, 05:17:01 PM »
Got the top arms done.  Pictures turned out bad.  Take some later when its together and the lights are on....

Bottom arm is getting closer.  Lots of tig work.  Just need to finish the elusive shock mount.  ;D

LiveWire

« Reply #138 on: October 05, 2010, 05:21:43 PM »
Personally I have no qualms about the bolts. It's the plate that concerns me. I hope it works well. Looks good.

That would be my concern as well. The knuckles on an F-150 are beefier where that bearing normally mounts up.

mechanic77

« Reply #139 on: October 18, 2010, 09:26:56 AM »
More pictures please  ;D  Steve tells me the two of you got the top side of the chassis done  :)

Offline Engineer

• Inquisitor
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #140 on: October 18, 2010, 06:24:02 PM »
More pictures please  ;D  Steve tells me the two of you got the top side of the chassis done  :)

Welcome to the site! 

Fall harvest has caused a work stoppage, but the top is mostly finished and he says he is coming back on Thursday to get me moving again.  ;D

Offline Wyattboche

« Reply #141 on: October 19, 2010, 12:15:17 AM »

Enigineer, How long is the axle shaft in this pic? Also could you make it work with plunging cv's?
« Last Edit: October 19, 2010, 12:20:08 AM by Wyattboche »

Offline Engineer

• Inquisitor
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #142 on: October 19, 2010, 10:31:49 PM »
It is 28" long and made to work with 930 CV's.  It just happens to be the same spline as the F-150 CV's.  It is made by EMPI, and I got a great deal from Livewire on them.  I think they offer them in inch increments, 26, 27, 28.  28 is the longest but I am not sure about the shorter lengths.  I have set collars and spacers on there for measuring, but both ends are the same and look like the end hanging down.

Offline Engineer

• Inquisitor
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #143 on: November 17, 2010, 08:49:59 AM »

« Last Edit: November 17, 2010, 08:52:41 AM by Engineer »

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #144 on: November 17, 2010, 10:45:35 AM »
tHE ENGINE MOUNTS IN A REMOVABLE CRADLE i ASSUME?
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Engineer

• Inquisitor
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #145 on: November 17, 2010, 01:39:43 PM »
tHE ENGINE MOUNTS IN A REMOVABLE CRADLE i ASSUME?

I don't know yet.  :(  I need to get on getting an engine asap!  Is Ebay my friend?

I would like to get one that is complete with the gauges for that bike/motor, etc.  I am not to excited about ordering a "complete" motor kit that shows up with a tangle of wiring harness and tubes and hoses that hooked up to god knows what.  I just wonder for the first time if I need to buy a complete bike so I know I have everything and can see how it works together.

I just don't enjoy the idea of trying to track down parts after buying a "complete" kit.  Am I worrying about it to much?

Offline Voodoochikin04

• Vip Eye candy Supplier!!
  • VIP
« Reply #146 on: November 17, 2010, 01:43:19 PM »
the only things you might not get with a complete kit:  radiator, fan temp sensor....  ambient air pressue sensor..  usually that one is mounted to the frame and not the engine.   

the hoses and such are pretty easy to do, even more so if you have a manual...  id be more worried about getting an engine that knocks..lol
"it's only when you have lost everything, that your free to do anything"

Offline Carlriddle

• Another build? What are you thinking?
« Reply #147 on: November 17, 2010, 01:49:02 PM »
Found a "complete" busa this am on cragslist for $2000.  In Texas.  Also found a online place that for a membership will give access to ins vehicles.  Many whole wrecked bikes that you can inspect for $2000.  Probably get half your money back by selling off parts.  Anyone every buy something from one of those places??  Sorry back to regular scheduled program.........
« Last Edit: November 17, 2010, 01:52:05 PM by Carlriddle »
You can keep your CHANGE, I'd like to keep my DOLLAR.

Offline Engineer

• Inquisitor
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #148 on: November 17, 2010, 02:17:41 PM »
the only things you might not get with a complete kit:  radiator, fan temp sensor....  ambient air pressue sensor..  usually that one is mounted to the frame and not the engine.  

the hoses and such are pretty easy to do, even more so if you have a manual...  id be more worried about getting an engine that knocks..lol

That is the exact stuff I am worried about spending days and days tracking down.

Found a "complete" busa this am on cragslist for $2000.  In Texas.  Also found a online place that for a membership will give access to ins vehicles.  Many whole wrecked bikes that you can inspect for $2000.  Probably get half your money back by selling off parts.  Anyone every buy something from one of those places??  Sorry back to regular scheduled program.........

I am always concerned about the complete bikes that are to good of a deal.....  Stolen or tranny problems etc.   I will have to get serious about looking around, I am waiting for Fabr to offer me one of his 4 for a mockup.  rofl

Oh BTW Carl, go ahead and snoop around my shop pictures.  I am confident that you won't find any "questionable" things going on like picture of Enemy and BF.  rofl

Offline Carlriddle

• Another build? What are you thinking?
« Reply #149 on: November 17, 2010, 02:25:09 PM »
Fabr dont need no Busa's, he is going V8.  The ins salvage stuff if close enough.  You can crank, cant drive since the front wheel is wraped to rear, but still put in gear and do a burnout. rofl rofl

Just trying to be more observant, these guys dont miss nothing.
You can keep your CHANGE, I'd like to keep my DOLLAR.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal