Author Topic: *the everything from scratch buggy- by voodoo*  (Read 155827 times)

Offline Voodoochikin04

• Vip Eye candy Supplier!!
  • VIP
*the everything from scratch buggy- by voodoo*
« on: September 21, 2008, 12:21:03 AM »
well heres my build log.  i started with the engine, and began to build.  engine is a 1995 suzuki gsxf (katana) oil/air cooled 600cc's. front arms are from an older 250 honda quad. rear arms i built, using delrin bushings with chromoly tubes and crush sleeves. the axles are 1994 or 95, s-10 4wd front cv's with 6bolt mouting flange. hubs from the same vehicle. front shocks are from a late 70's kawasaki enduro. rears are possibly atv shocks? front wheels came with the honda quad, rear wheels also from some quad. brakes are 2 piston calipers from some honda, rotor is of unknown bike. seats i got from ebay, they are double wall mold formed poly with vinyl snap on covers. the rear hub brackets i made also.  unsure about any of the length height or width measurements due to the fact that ive just never measured it. tube is 1. od x .120 wall mechanical round. frame rails are 1.5 x .120 wall square tube. *when i started this build i had no idea what tube to use, what things i would need. any buggy terms like bumpsteer. i was extreme amature. a ton of things have changed. when i started i used black pipe from menards (no idea) after being torn apart on the forums for that i quickly cut off and threw away all of that junk.*  i think thats about it. im doing what i can with what i have and can afford so either like it or hate it. if you see something that is gonna cause it to not function, then please do tell. do not tell me its trash, or that im a scab or whatever else people like to say about un funded amatures :P   thanks  -Matt

from the very first picture taken over a year ago, to the present.

entire rear end has been completely redone.

"it's only when you have lost everything, that your free to do anything"

Offline Voodoochikin04

• VIP
Re: *the everything from scratch buggy- by voodoo*
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2008, 12:22:45 AM »

« Last Edit: September 21, 2008, 12:37:12 AM by voodoochikin04 »

Offline Voodoochikin04

• VIP
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2008, 12:25:40 AM »
now after a year break and tons of reading, this is what i started with again.

then i realized how wide it was, time for total redesign.

removable top rear motor mount

Offline Voodoochikin04

• VIP
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2008, 12:27:06 AM »

Offline Voodoochikin04

• VIP
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2008, 12:30:12 AM »

the two bars in the back where the red is, are removable and look like the drawing below the picture. i flattened the ends in the press and drilled them. this way i can remove the bars and pull the engine from the top.

i spent a whole night messing with this rack and pinion. only to be schooled by spec that its too long and the pivot points are in the wrong place and would cause tons of bumpteer. also it is for a rear steer setup and i have front.

« Last Edit: September 21, 2008, 12:39:24 AM by voodoochikin04 »

Offline Voodoochikin04

• VIP
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2008, 12:32:43 AM »
and now here is where im at. i got my wheels back from the machine shop where they were drilled to fit my s-10 hubs. i mounted the tires and put everything together. currently no lug nuts, so wheels are just sitting on the hubs.

here is where the shocks are mounted at their lightest postion. two top mounts and 3 bottom. one top is inboard the other is out board.

here is the stiffest position. mounted on the middle bottom hole and the outboard top.

VLADD

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2008, 05:44:28 AM »
VDC4,
looks like youv'e come a long way. Thanks for starting the log ;)
You have incorporated some good inovations multiple chock mounts that is a great way to be able to tune your non fox airs ;D

borris

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2008, 09:43:00 AM »
That's using your head on making the shocks "tunable"!

Offline Voodoochikin04

• VIP
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2008, 12:03:18 PM »
i dont know if you guys are joshin with me or not.. but i dont have the kind of funds to buy fox shocks.  so i was able to buy these shocks, have no idea what they came off from. the machine shop guy who inspired me to build this, also has muliple shock mounts, so i figured i should probably do that too.  also the shocks have 5 spring preload positions..  like i said.. do what you can with what ya got...  :)   tobad that rack wont work.. i wasted alot of time fooling with it.

Admin

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2008, 12:06:35 PM »
i dont know if you guys are joshin with me or not.. but i dont have the kind of funds to buy fox shocks.  so i was able to buy these shocks, have no idea what they came off from. the machine shop guy who inspired me to build this, also has muliple shock mounts, so i figured i should probably do that too.  also the shocks have 5 spring preload positions..  like i said.. do what you can with what ya got...  :)   tobad that rack wont work.. i wasted alot of time fooling with it.

They variable mounts are ideal for ground height mods...the rack wont work period? Does it have a lot of bumpsteer?

Offline Voodoochikin04

• VIP
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2008, 05:18:53 PM »
no.. wont work period..not worth fussing with. it was free anyways.

borris

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2008, 05:25:10 PM »
I wasn't joshing you at all.I was serious that the various mounting points will allow varying amounts of leverage  and therefore will be adjustable as such. Good out of the box thinking!

borris

« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2008, 05:27:41 PM »
As for the wasted time on the rack,don't fret it.An education like that will never be forgotten! BTDT way too many times myself.

SPEC

« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2008, 05:41:08 PM »
Nope no joshing in the least...I do it on my buggies and use different spring rates...But I have many springs on hand from racing these for years, Even when I had the funds to buy the big airs I still used coil overs...Kinda a stick in the mud that way...IMO buggies should not break the bank...And not make you cry when you break it...cuz no funds to fix...I got a rack...I posted pix on that other site...I'll sell it to you cheap...I got a discount for buying several at one time...and sidelinesal said he'd whip up the extenders for cheap as well

Offline Voodoochikin04

• VIP
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2008, 09:58:14 PM »
i know i was thinking about that rack of yours.. lol..   i need it to work for front steer as you know. my frame rails are 18 inches from outside to outside, and the arm bushings are about an inch.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal