Author Topic: Fabr's Toter Repower  (Read 3271 times)

Online fabr

• Administrator
Fabr's Toter Repower
« on: December 28, 2017, 08:05:10 PM »
Sometimes ya just get lucky I guess. As many of you know I have a Kodiak toterhome with the smallest Cat I6 made for over the road use,the 3116. Pulling the 45 foot trailer with just the buggy and Gem or 2 quads and it does OK -sorta. Add in the new buggy and extras and it just wasn't gonna do the job so I've been weighing a LOT of options about what to do. Plan 1 was to upgrade the 3116 from 215hp/604 tq to the highest Cat 3116 rating of 300hp/830tq.For various reasons,one of which was cost ,  that fell through. Next plan was to just put a 13 speed in it and that was what I'd decided was the most cost effective plan and had found the trans to do so. I was just going to call to buy it until I revisited Purplewave auction about a week ago.
  That's when I found what I really needed but thought there was no way I could buy it right. Well I was WRONG!!!!! This thing has a 3126 rated at 330hp/850tq. with only 167,000 miles on it. Lots of hours but not all that many miles. Has a 9speed Eaton trans as well. Best of all,I will have every single part right down to the last nut and bolt to do the conversion. The thing is the twin of my toter , just 4 model years newer.I won the thing today for $4000 bux. That's about the same as just a used 3126 engine by itself!   After I sell the 3116 , 6 speed and the crane  I should have basically ZERO $$$$ in this repower.Yup,I fell in it and should come out smelling like a rose. I'm a very happy camper now.

« Last Edit: December 28, 2017, 08:44:00 PM by fabr »
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
Re: Fabr's Toter Repower
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2017, 08:24:55 PM »
congradulations!!!! that was THE FIND! you will be a lot happier with that one. now for the big question....can it be turned up as easily a truck? just in case you know  ;) either way huge jump up in towing power!
Don't never argue with an Idiot!
Because he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2017, 09:01:09 PM »
The 3116 and 3126 engines are not turn up friendly. Everyone says to not go outside of Cat specs by much. The 3116's are mechanical injection and mine is the highest rated aluminum piston engine. I've turned up the fuel and run pretty high egt's all the time.Even doing that I might have gained 25 hosses. If I replaced pistons with 2 piece ally/steel pistons,new turbo and cam I could get 275 reliablehp/735 ish tq. That would run approx $10K. I'm glad romans9  flaked out on me and did not do the work.
 The 3126 engines have hydraulic electric unit injectors like a power stroke does.It takes Cat propriatary software and CAT permission to flash the ECU . Honestly, I have no need for it anyway. If I need any further help pulling grades I can always add a range splitter to the Eaton 9 speed and have a 13 that would more than do the job. The 9 can be converted for only about $1K.
  Yup,I think I found just exactly what I need to make this a keeper now. I've been thinking of remodeling the interior but didn't want to if I couldn't find more power to where I could add 2 slides. Now I can . Oh man,I'm a very happy camper.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2017, 09:18:48 PM »
i should hope so at that price! huge step for sure as an 80 hp bump in a powerstroke is pretty damn amazing but with that motor and jump in tq that should be even better!! btw with my heui injectors i have found that an oil additive rev x or archoil really do help with lubrication and easier startups as well as an audible smoother idle. just my experience though.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2017, 09:20:19 PM by dsrace »

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2017, 09:21:11 PM »
btw i would leave the front bumber....deer catcher

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2017, 09:43:57 PM »
I'm transplanting the engine and trans into the toter.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Yummi

• Grumpy, Sneezey and Dopey all rolled into one.
  • Administration
    • Jeeping With Dogs
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2017, 11:36:26 AM »
Why not transport coach to new truck?  Seems easier to me?  Besides, I kind of dig the yellow accents.  Partial to yellow and accents I suppose?
I like things that move.   Pretty much limits me to cars and strippers

Did you know I have a blog?  Come on now, it is 2016, everybody does.  http://www.jeepingwithdogs.com

Online DeepBusch69

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2017, 12:16:55 PM »
Damn nice find fabr.  That crane looks like it would be handy!  Is this an outside job, as in next spring.  It’s cold as hell here. 

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2017, 08:38:48 PM »
Yummi,the toter is a c5500 and the donor is a c7500 that is not a good candidate for that. The toter hasn't even made it to 100K miles yet. For a 24 year old truck it's very good condition. The donor has a lot more miles yet very low for a 20 year old truck. The cabs ,wiring ,motor /trans mounts,all the stuff like intercooler and plumbing and almost everything else for the transplant will directly crossover. I think it is 100% but there may be a few minor things with the wiring harness. Should be a near no headache repower of the toter.

Mitch,I'll take everything I can off the donor whenever I find time this winter and sandblast/paint/polish everything so under hood will be pretty much like new and ready for reassembly.  I can/will have to do all disassembly part with donor outside. I have a heated building I think will allow me to get inside for the r&r of everything on the toter. I need to measure the door opening to verify but if not,yup,it will turn into a spring project.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2017, 08:44:57 PM »
Anybody in the market for a crane and truck bed combo? 34 foot reach telescoping crane.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Yummi

• Grumpy, Sneezey and Dopey all rolled into one.
  • Administration
    • Jeeping With Dogs
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2017, 08:00:53 AM »
See, I knew you had it all figured out.   But I still like yellow....

I will go back to me corner now....  ;)
I like things that move.   Pretty much limits me to cars and strippers

Did you know I have a blog?  Come on now, it is 2016, everybody does.  http://www.jeepingwithdogs.com

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2017, 09:38:37 AM »
 ;) ;) :m
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal