Author Topic: turbo 1300 to turbo 2300 conversion  (Read 82131 times)

Online fabr

• Administrator
Re: turbo 1300 to turbo 2300 conversion
« Reply #180 on: March 01, 2017, 08:46:15 AM »
Since RCV claims they will do 28* then they should do 28*-max. It seems to me only reasonable to assume they would be capable of doing the 28* without falling apart or binding. We ALL know that 930's CAN do 28*max regardless of brand , race prep or not but ,we also know that they cannot be ran at 28 * more than momentarily. 28* is the max but should probably be limited to 25* or so to be safe. That said,the vid can't be showing even 15*.

I have never had any problem with the RCV fixed cv that wasn't my fault. Only one failure in what,6-7 years now?  I also had complete POS slip joint axles from them that fell apart before I even ran the car. What I'm saying is that apparently RCV may be just like the rest of the aftermarket. Poor quality control and when caught at it,it's the customers fault and the smoke starts blowing up the customers ass. I am disappointed at rcv's response on this and the absolute BS vid showing nothing relevant to the issue.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #181 on: March 01, 2017, 11:01:03 AM »
which is why i asked for a real reason these didn't do as advertised. i even suggested they buy some cheap chinese ones and compare. i told them i cannot suggest there cv's over the $62 cheapo's with out a legitimate reason why i could even get 26* to work by hand. i told them i sell a lot of front end kits that require customers to buy longer wider trailing arms, longer axles and new 930 cv's and have told many to buy rcv's and i have but i will not do that anymore unless they can give me a real answer that i can see tested true. am i a huge acct....nope but my front ends do as i state they do! there cv's should as well
" the less talent they have, the more pride, vanity and arrogance they have. All these fools, however, find other fools who applauded them " .    ERASMUS 1509

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #182 on: March 01, 2017, 11:33:35 AM »
Honestly,it is irrelevant how many you buy. If a customer only buys one and it doesn't meet  published specs , that customer deserves a real answer instead of some BS .
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #183 on: March 01, 2017, 01:07:40 PM »
honestly the fixed will work out better in the end as i ran those at 35* peak for the last 5 years. limit strap pulled the wheel up 1" but as we all know even a quad woven strap will stretch 1" per foot. now i was going to set them at 27* with shock fully extended then pull up 2" with strap so when it finally stretched i would never max out. prob be 22* sitting still at that rate but now ..... ;D the hell with it i set them at 30* with shock and will pull up 2" with strap and prob be 26* at normal ride height. haven't decided yet on that one as i have had to stop to build a few more front ends.  i did look back and in the last 6 years i sold 48 front ends.
" the less talent they have, the more pride, vanity and arrogance they have. All these fools, however, find other fools who applauded them " .    ERASMUS 1509

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #184 on: March 05, 2017, 09:02:54 AM »
ok so i was just going to see how much carl luck i had and run the upper as is but the more i looked at it...26" long arm center of heim to center of heim...... the 10" span at the frame just was't going to be enough. so 26x.65 = 16.9"  where in this config there is no room to go forward at this point i had to go rearward and did not make 16.9" but i did make 15.5". i'm going to call it good enough for now. i will make the lowers diff on the next frame.

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #185 on: March 05, 2017, 09:03:43 AM »
and yes the rearward point will be made into double shear.

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #186 on: March 06, 2017, 09:22:47 AM »
here is the drivers side. the last pic is of an idea to minimize lower but maintain forward connection point.

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #187 on: March 06, 2017, 07:42:50 PM »
Is there no way to do something lie this? Drop the forward tabs below the tube ,angled inboard to line up? Looks like enough room in front of starter to do it.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2017, 07:44:35 PM by fabr »
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #188 on: March 07, 2017, 10:56:23 AM »
absolutely in no way is there enough room in front of or around the starter to get the tab lined up down the center of the cv. i have stared at it for hrs holding tabs up in diff configs useing all thread. the only poss way would be to move the tabs out 2" or so then match that at the wheel in the carrier but axle plunge would be effected, how much? who knows......i could do the drivers side this way only too. since i am building another frame will experiment with that later but this one will do just fine until then.

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #189 on: March 07, 2017, 12:34:39 PM »
 i have an extra carrier i will have to use to mock that idea up and play with it when i get more time for this coming winters build. it is an interesting idea to see how much plunge one would get......i'm still thinking if properly done really shouldn't be much more than now. also if one were to put say idk 5* rake in the cradle or a arm mounting points like an approach angle and set the axle straight out off trans so that the 5* would sweep the axle back a small amount through the stroke one could compensate for axle plunge if any at that offset of frame vs carrier

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #190 on: March 07, 2017, 12:38:36 PM »
Got ya thinking now!
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #191 on: March 07, 2017, 12:41:21 PM »
If I had time I'd CAD it up for you and see how much plunge would be induced. My gut CAD says it would be very minimal.Maybe 1/2 inch but I could be very ,very wrong.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #192 on: March 07, 2017, 02:25:46 PM »
normally i would make that change on both sides but maybe not. believe it or not i have a cad program. even took a class or two in college for it. only student to get an A in the class of 17 people. could`nt do a single thing they taught us after the class cause it was either learn the book or material. they covered it way to fast with no program of our own to learn outside of class. i was 3 of 17 that had no prior experience.  14 were already using it for work. so i could draw it in cad myself......not going to lol it`s faster and easier for me to build it and test it. i would be happy to post the info if someone wanted to though.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2017, 02:28:02 PM by dsrace »

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #193 on: March 07, 2017, 03:10:28 PM »
on a side note dunebound stopped and showed me how and why the rcv cv's arent' capable of 28* as advertised and how to fix them. he'll need to include pics and explain this himself but basically the cage is too large for there housings. he and transman and malcolm all went together and bought a pile of high angle cv's from them. none of them can get over i belive 26* and dunebounds have always clicked at that angle. so the race prepped high angle lightened ones he bought from pacific customs 12 years ago or so have now i belive recieved .003 smaller balls and chromolly cages. they do operate at 28*. he clearenced the rcv's and i bolted them on my rail last night and they will operate at 28* now. still need a slight bit more polishing.

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #194 on: March 07, 2017, 05:58:13 PM »
How long are the arms now? What is the vertical spread of the frame pivots and the carrier pivots?
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal