Author Topic: What are these odd looking things?  (Read 16919 times)

Offline BrianN

What are these odd looking things?
« on: January 31, 2021, 11:11:00 AM »
This stuff showed up at my door. I am not sure what to do with them? Google search just shows "boost", then leads to "closed deck".

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
Re: What are these odd looking things?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2021, 11:29:44 AM »
very nice indeed!!

so is the new frame for the 2d next winter??  ;)  ;D ;D :nw
Don't never argue with an Idiot!
Because he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience

Offline DeepBusch69

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2021, 01:32:17 PM »
ohhh, Very nice.  My next project for the buggy, if I ever get done with the dang basement project

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2021, 08:23:01 PM »
Kewl!!!!!!
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline BrianN

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2021, 06:23:00 PM »
Getting close to the closed deck. Cases should be going to get bored, honed, and decked soon. Valvetrain and new turbo on their way.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2021, 07:23:28 PM »
That'll damn sure stabilize those bores. Did you make the filler plates?
« Last Edit: February 19, 2021, 07:25:34 PM by fabr »
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline BrianN

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2021, 07:47:56 PM »
Yes. I machined the profile into the cases, then made matching inserts which are pressed in. They are .39 thick.

Offline BrianN

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2021, 08:11:08 PM »
This is prior to inserts.

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2021, 05:23:25 AM »
very nice work indeed.
so what are you getting for the new turbo?
 is the old one shot?
i know it was an ebay china turbo and was so as they are a cheap way to figure out what will work best for your application. i know they dont have the life expectancy but they do serve a purpose.

did you get the fuel system flushed ? 

MORE BOOST  ;D ya know......for 3rd gear wheelies  :m   
« Last Edit: February 20, 2021, 05:25:11 AM by dsrace »

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2021, 06:32:19 AM »
This is prior to inserts.

Well done.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline BrianN

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2021, 08:08:20 AM »
This current turbo is probably still fine, but I am upgrading since everything else is new. I have been working with Ecotech Imports from Ks City, MO on the turbo and other parts. They have experience with building and racing these motors, and seem to understand this thing we call "sand duning"! We had decided on a IHI VF48, but I got a text last night saying he was sending a VF30 V7. He was already gone for the day, so I will get an explanation later. I still need to get more E85 and run through my current system, since I have modified the fuel tank.

3rd gear wheelies? Why not shoot for 5th gear wheelies?!

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2021, 08:26:48 AM »
This current turbo is probably still fine, but I am upgrading since everything else is new. I have been working with Ecotech Imports from Ks City, MO on the turbo and other parts. They have experience with building and racing these motors, and seem to understand this thing we call "sand duning"! We had decided on a IHI VF48, but I got a text last night saying he was sending a VF30 V7. He was already gone for the day, so I will get an explanation later. I still need to get more E85 and run through my current system, since I have modified the fuel tank.

3rd gear wheelies? Why not shoot for 5th gear wheelies?!

now that's what i'm talking about  ;D

the ihi series turbo's are smaller like the stock ihi i was going to give you off the stock 87-88 ford thunderbird.  would be interesting to know the comp and turbine wheel sizes.  did they say if these turbo's will breathe on the top end or are low end spooling turbo's and just make heat over say 5500 rpm?

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2021, 08:49:49 AM »
the reason i ask about comp/turbine sizes is based on my experimentation on my motor. i know there different but very close in displacement. my head is a large dia 2 valve which may not flow as well as a quad valve.  the turbonetics to4e stage 3 ex was 53.89x76.2  COMP and 56.56x64.89  .63 a/r and that was pretty much a upper midrange to high end spooling turbo. the stock garret turbo off the 84 to 86 mustang is the sizes i called out for that ebay turbo you went with. i do not have that info infront of me right now but the comp was like 52x60 with a .48 or .63 a/r exh option. .63 was the choice for over 5500 rpm but .48 spooled slightly lower.  the larger dia wheels have slower spool rates ( higher rpm). as enemy says it's turbo voodoo lol but # of blades as well as a slight tweak in pich as well as extended tip all play a role. those turbo's don't spool as low in the rpm as the 87/88 turbo coupe ihi series but breath better at higher rpms. i'm sure those guys know the suby turbo's very well. just make sure there not putting a turbo on that works well on the street as it will not spool low in the rpms for sand. the hybrid holset turbo i went with first was awesome for the street guys but a light switch in the sand. it was all mid to top end boost and came in hard and fast but no bottom end boost. the turbonetics was a more linear charge but again more mid and top end which doesn't work for myself in the sand. the efr 6758 dual bb turbo was very expensive but covers all 3 ranges very very well! if i would've bought it in the first place i would've saved money  ;D we don't even want to get into the 3 different exhaust systems i built for all 3! i listened to the ford guys and turbo builder just to find out there idea of an amazing turbo is on the 2 step on the drag strip!  the holset, turbonetics were journal bearing where the efr is dual ball bearing. the dual bb spool much lower in the rpm bank compared to the journal bearing style. the efr is a whole different level unto itself though.

before you choose ask them at what rpm the turbo's light. if they say comes in great around 2k rpm then that's a mid and high range turbo.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2021, 08:52:23 AM by dsrace »

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2021, 09:00:23 AM »
i do understand flow plays a large roll in driving the turbo. that's why i said my dual valve head doesn't flow as well as a quad valve but my head does or did flow 210 cfm bo ports flow bench. that's what he rates the stage 3 heads at which is a huge improvement over the stock 150 cfm for sure. a sealed exh manifold really helps too  rofl rofl  i do need to address that before the trip!

https://www.i-club.com/forums/norcal-classifieds-96/fs-jdm-v7-sti-vf30-turbo-blown-266221/
IHI VF30
(460cfm at 18psi, 250-325whp, Bolt-On)

This is the standard equipment turbocharger used on the JDM V7 Subaru Impreza WRX STi (2002-2003 - bug-eye). The VF30 is a thrust-bearing turbo that utilizes the P18 exhaust housing of a VF24 and the compressor housing sized between a VF23 and a VF22. Expect to achieve full boost with the proper mods and a quality tune between 3000-3500rpms.

for comparison the one you have been running is close to the 83 to 86 but i believe you have the .48 exh so full boost should be closer to 2200 rpm.

https://www.stinger-performance.com/faq.html
-Stock (87-88 Turbo Coupe) Ishi-Warner IHI: Less than 250 rwhp, super quick spooling (full boost at 1800-2300 rpm with a few airflow mods) but runs out of steam at higher engine speeds. Great for heavy cars or daily drivers. Good to 18psi or so.

-Stock (83-86 Mustang/Turbo Coupe, 84-89 Merkur) Garrett/AiResearch T3: Up to about 275 rwhp. Full boost at 2500-3000 rpm or so with a few airflow mods, pulls pretty well up top. Has a very hard "kick" when boost kicks in. Great for a daily driver/street terror with minor mods. Good to 23 psi or so if you've got enough fuel, octane, intercooling, etc. to safely run that much.

-T3/T4 Hybrid T04E 46 trim compressor/Stage III exhaust side with .48 a/r for street cars, .63 a/r for street/strip. Great for engines in the 250-350rwhp range. Full boost at 3000-3300 rpm or so with a header and supporting mods. Nice linear power throughout rpm range. Great for street/strip cars in the 12-13 second 1/4 mile range. Good to 25psi or so.

-T3/T4 Hybrid T04E 50 trim compressor/Stage III exhaust side with .48 a/r for street cars, .63 a/r for street/strip: Great for engines in the 300-410 rwhp range. Full boost at 3300-3500 rpm or so with supporting mods. Nice linear power throughout rpm range. Great for street/strip cars in the 11-12 second 1/4 mile range. Good to 35psi or so (if your tune and engine can handle it).
« Last Edit: February 20, 2021, 09:09:52 AM by dsrace »

Offline BrianN

« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2021, 10:04:39 AM »
I need to contact him and get my information organized before I speak more. You know I get confused real easy!!!! The numbers, ooooohhh the numbers!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal