Author Topic: Aluminium Uprights and Hubs  (Read 1871 times)

dre

Aluminium Uprights and Hubs
« on: April 08, 2009, 07:34:05 AM »
I have been looking around at part suppliers and see most hubs are aluminium.  Is there any issue with thermal expansion and bearing preload using an aluminium hub with a steel (4140?) stub axle.

Also I have seen aluminium uprights around, how are the steel stub axles located/bonded to these generally?

Cheers

Admin

Re: Aluminium Uprights and Hubs
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2009, 07:35:20 AM »
I have been looking around at part suppliers and see most hubs are aluminium.  Is there any issue with thermal expansion and bearing preload using an aluminium hub with a steel (4140?) stub axle.

Also I have seen aluminium uprights around, how are the steel stub axles located/bonded to these generally?

Cheers

Pressed and secured with a bolt via the backside...

SPEC

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2009, 08:52:15 AM »
Yup,
and no there isn't any probls with steel snoutrs and Alum hubs...I dinked around with a rebuildable snout/spindle...Aluminum didn't fair well as a snout

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2009, 09:55:26 AM »
Many are just shrink fitted.Heat the aluminum to 400*. Chill the steel with dry ice for 10 minutes or so. slip the parts together  and you have a fit that is too tight to loosen or move.You have to precision fit the parts for a shrink fit very accurately.It will be closer tolerance than a press fit. 
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Boostinjdm

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2009, 02:04:30 PM »
The old hot and cold trick is amazing.  I relined a cast alum brake drum once using that method.  Made a steel ring that was like .015" oversized.  Threw the drum in the oven (yes the one in the kitchen, I live alone)  and the ring in the freezer.  Half an hour later the ring dropped in and rattled around and poof it was stuck.  I also secured it with bolts and turned it true. I swear there had to be a 1/16" gap when I dropped it in.  Anyways, saved me a small fortune on an old atv.
This post has been edited due to content.

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2009, 02:06:37 PM »
Easiest and only method in the world for replacing the starter gear on a flywheel also.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal