Author Topic: An Fittings General Info  (Read 1891 times)

Offline fabr

• Administrator
An Fittings General Info
« on: December 28, 2009, 08:13:38 AM »
There is  a bit of stuff needed known about AN fittings. First off the AN stands for ArmyNavy. They wanted fittings that were reliable and needed no sealer for fast field repairs with minimal supplies. The dash size refers to ID in 1/16 of an inch. Example a -8 size is 8/16" ID or 1/2" ID. Simple huh?

Many of us use the SS braided lines and AN fittings for race cars and such and we assemble them using reusable aluminum AN fittings. In the last few years steel ones have become available also that are MUCH stronger and more durable. Not as blingy but IMO, far better for offroad use in the smaller sizes.

Assembly can be a pleasure or the biggest PITA you have ever had. Just depends on a few things. First,and most importantly,Use QUALITY braided line from known sources. THe good stuff will not unravel easily.  The cheap stuff will actually be springy wires that WANT TO unravel without even being touched! Avoid it at all cost! After cutting quality hose will have near no unraveling- BIG PLUS! I personally tightly wrap the area to be cut with fiber reinforced packaging tape and cut through the tape.  After cutting ,CAREFULLY remove the tape to prevent any unwanted wild strands of wire braid. Next place the ferrule on the hose. This can be the most frustrating part of all. I have found that twisting the ferrule on in a COUNTER-CLOCKWISE direction works best. Now you are ready for the fitting to be screwed into the ferrule. OIL the fitting barb and threads and also the ID of the hose. Firmly hold hose in the ferrule when inserting the fitting into the ferrule to prevent the hose from backing out. I use a Sharpie marker to mark the hose to be sure it stays fully inserted in the ferrule. WHen done give the hose a firm tug and you are done except for thorough cleaning.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline fabr

• Administrator
Re: An Fittings General Info
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2009, 08:16:20 AM »
THese people make a cool tool for assembly also . Makes life a pleasure! LOL!!! A bit pricey but if you are building a bunch of lines worth every penny.

http://www.koultools.com/
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline BDKW1

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2009, 09:40:59 AM »
I avoid braided hose like the plague anymore. It's either regular high pressure hose, hard line or the cloth wrap over steel braid 3500PSI stuff. From arcing out to sawing tubes/anything it touches in half, braided hose is the worst thing ever. If I'm working on a car where someone wants to use it, I make them cover it with clear heatshrink........

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2009, 10:02:38 AM »
Can't disagree there. What I hate most is getting stabbed with stray strands along the length of the hose.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

LiveWire

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2009, 02:27:09 PM »
The ones I use are already covered with clear coating. I just get them made to length. I don't even use my flaring tool anymore because I found it much easier to just use all braided line instead of having one piece of hard line in the mix.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2009, 02:52:24 PM »
Well that's cheating! LOL!!!
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal