Author Topic: Buggy done & LS trip report  (Read 4429 times)

SandDragon

Buggy done & LS trip report
« on: September 21, 2009, 10:35:36 AM »
Well I'm back from LS all went great with only one problem. I played hard Thursday night a little on the safe side with some overheating problems but I had my kids bring me another radiator from home that was bigger and fix it Friday morning and it took care of that problem. Friday was a blast the whoops were no problem my GPS clocked me at 32mph thru them wow what a rush, I played and climbed a bunch of hills than decided to try to jump. I aired it out several times but I believe I can go higher and farther with a little tweaking on the rear shocks. Still no broken parts and design faults. Than I made a classic newbie mistake I failed to check nuts and bolts before It went out again, my buddy and a friend took it out for a ride to south camp to check out the party's and I started getting worried about 12:30am when some guy on a 4 wheeler stop at camp and told me my buggy was broke down about 6 or 8 dunes over from the north gate. The guys in the camp site next to me told me to jump in there truck and they would help get it fixed, when I got there passenger side rear wheel was all layed over shined a light on the back and the doggone pivot bolt had broke the safety wire and backed out we fond the bolt but lost the washers it took a couple of hours but we got it back together and limped it back to camp. Saturday we started getting a better look at it that is when we noticed that when the buggy dropped the axle boot flange ground a bunch of groves in the axle splines and it caused the axles to grind into the cups enough to bur the ends so I couldn't get the cv's off. The big trouble was it bent my shock shaft at the bottom I could have colbled it up and made it work but I wasn't going to take chance of breaking some else and hurting more parts or someone so I watched the others in my group ride. Had a blast and plan on getting it fixed soon but not sure if I'll make your beer fest the 7th but I'll bet ready to hook up with you all in the spring.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2009, 01:47:02 PM by SandDragon »

SandDragon

Re: Buggy done & LS trip report
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2009, 10:40:16 AM »
Here are a few pic's.

SandDragon

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2009, 10:44:28 AM »
some video

SPEC

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2009, 10:53:21 AM »
Out aired the bikes 8)
Ya the shake downs are always bolts coming loose or worse...
But sounds good other than that

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2009, 01:07:56 PM »
Cool as shit on an ice cube! Congrats!!
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2009, 11:04:41 PM »
looks great!  well hope you get it fixed and we see you down there.
" the less talent they have, the more pride, vanity and arrogance they have. All these fools, however, find other fools who applauded them " .    ERASMUS 1509

SandDragon

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2009, 10:57:04 AM »
getting it fix will be done as soon as the parts come in but I'll be in Orlando on business trip the weekend you all are planing on going to LS but I'm going to try my best to hook up with you all some other time. Not much fun without a bunch of buggies to cat and mouse thru the trails with.

SandDragon

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2009, 02:25:47 PM »
Well another problem I painted my side panels and after having the airbrush work done on the first side we found out that the candy clear didn't stick. I wounder how other buggies make it stick because I see them painting clear over ground alum. It's a cool effect and I'm wanting to do it also and ideas? This is what I'm going to paint on it as soon as I can figure out how to make it stick, and this is what it looks like when it doesn't stick.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2009, 06:47:44 PM »
 :u :u
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Carlriddle

• Another build? What are you thinking?
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2009, 06:38:59 AM »
That wad of plactic stuff was the paint, :o.  Crap!!  I think there is some kinda special primer or etcher?
You can keep your CHANGE, I'd like to keep my DOLLAR.

SandDragon

« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2009, 07:01:48 AM »
Yes I could use a self etching primer but than you couldn't see the grinding thru it. I'm thinking if I can't figure out how to get the clear to stick, I'll just paint it the same color as the buggy and putting the art work on it than, and it should still look good.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2009, 07:03:26 AM by SandDragon »

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2009, 07:04:49 AM »
clear powdercoat.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

SandDragon

« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2009, 07:07:30 AM »
can you paint over powder coat I gave it a thought but wasn't sure if you could paint over it. I have a powder coater that I work with thru my work I'll ask and see. Thanks.

Offline fastcorvairs

• Lifetime VIP
  • If it is worth doing!!!!!! Do it in the sand
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2009, 07:15:13 AM »
can you paint over powder coat I gave it a thought but wasn't sure if you could paint over it. I have a powder coater that I work with thru my work I'll ask and see. Thanks.

Yes you can paint over powder coat.  Do your sanding thing and then have a clear coat of powder put over it. Do your air brush work Then spray a clear coat of enamel over that.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2009, 07:17:05 AM by fastcorvairs »

If I believe I cannot do something it makes me incapable of doing it. But when I believe that I can, then I acquire the ability to do it , even if I didn't have it at the beginning.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2009, 07:29:27 AM »
tadaaaa!
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal