Author Topic:  (Read 4289 times)

RC51 Rhino

« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2009, 09:15:12 PM »
 Yummi, I'm in Maricopa. You should pop by and have a look at my mess! I don't get a lot of company, even though I am on the way to the dunes! Anyone is welcome to come by, and I usually work fairly cheap to boot. Beer is a great motivator if you have some ideas as to what you want. It appears you have a great base, I'd star peelin' away the stuff you don't like and keep the rest. Shoot me a PM if you are interested.

Offline Yummi

• Grumpy, Sneezey and Dopey all rolled into one.
  • Administration
    • Jeeping With Dogs
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2009, 08:23:33 AM »
Yummi, I'm in Maricopa. You should pop by and have a look at my mess! I don't get a lot of company, even though I am on the way to the dunes! Anyone is welcome to come by, and I usually work fairly cheap to boot. Beer is a great motivator if you have some ideas as to what you want. It appears you have a great base, I'd star peelin' away the stuff you don't like and keep the rest. Shoot me a PM if you are interested.

Careful.... with an offer to work for partly beer we could make you an alcoholic....   

I am gonna sort mt axle isue then go from there.  Still exploring what to do...
I like things that move.   Pretty much limits me to cars and strippers

Did you know I have a blog?  Come on now, it is 2016, everybody does.  http://www.jeepingwithdogs.com

Offline Engineer

• Inquisitor
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2009, 02:12:05 PM »
I think the first question we need to ask is "do you currently own a welder".  If not, then IMO many of the options discussed are off the table.

Buying a 5K frame and expecting your current parts to fit is a longshot IMO.

Even a fully tabbed frame (tabbed for which/whose parts?) is still going to need lots of work mounting things.

It's July 8th, when does the season start?

I have seen a bolt on beam to A-arm conversion kit but I can't currently find the site.  This fellow offers a conversion for $5K:

http://www.johnsonsbuggies.com/carpricespackages.html

If I remember right the bolt on kit was around 4K.

I am here because I am interested in building a car from the ground up.  But even so I don't have any illusions that just because I follow the accepted practices of caster/camber/rake/etc, that the steering feel is going to be spot on the first try.  Same goes for shock valving etc.  I guess what I am saying is changing to A-arms won't guarantee better handling.

My vote would be to save up towards the orange and silver one. (I like the way it is optioned)  You have driven the design and know that you like the feel.

I know the market probably isn't the best to sell your old car, but depending how much of the work your doing yourself, a reworked front, new paint, it all adds up, and it will suck when it adds up (with the price you could sell yours for) to the price of a new car.

My theory is if you know exactly what you want, go directly for it.  I have seen to many guys who wouldn't drop $10K, spend 20K a hundred at a time.

Just my $.02  Take it with a grain of salt...... or a whole shaker if needed. ;D

RC51 Rhino

« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2009, 08:25:50 PM »
 What axle issue are you having? I don't drink much, the fridge stays pretty full. I do some of my best creating with a little buzz! Too much and I don't get anything done...NAP TIME!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal