Author Topic: lightweight rock crawler and Hydraulic drive options  (Read 57195 times)

Offline Baloo

lightweight rock crawler and Hydraulic drive options
« on: March 09, 2009, 05:02:22 PM »
l will put this here as its atomotive powered

this is a small 4x4 buggy biult by a friend of mine called Mark

the 2 vids above show it finished and out and about

but jumping back about a year and it was nothing more than a car engine and a pair axles

marks main aim was as light as posibble with as much axle travel as possible,  weight is just under 600kg finished,  about 1300 lbs for you imperial guys, and there about 1000mm ( 40 inches ) under each wheel when lifted,

since he had a pair of suzuki sj 410 axles lying around they were pressed into service,   they were lightened where ever possible, the discs were given a heavy skim and reduced in diameter the hubs were turned down where ever there was spare metal it was removed, the rear drums were also treated to some time on the lathe
the brakes are about to get binned and replaced with motor bike or quad brakes in an effort to shed more weight still

the engine chosen was a front wheel drive citroen, picked only because it was the lightest engine he could find, and they are cheap, as you can see in the pics it was turned round 90 deg and mounted beside the driver,  the diff in the citroen gear box was welded up to make sure it would feed the power to the front and rear axle equally, the diff in the citroen gearbox is about 3.5 to 1 and the sj diffs are about the same giving about 7 to 1 overall reduction, some where about right for some big tyres
the citroen gearbox drive shafts were the cv type, this were stripped so they were just a cup on the gearbox to these 2 steel discs were welded and drilled to match the sj prop shafts, so with the engine and box sat on a crate with the props attached to the axles the wheel base was set, which just happened to be 80 inches, may as well use standard suzuki parts, no point in making special props is there, 

dont know if you get citroen cars over there, but l bet you have plenty of other choices like the ecotec engine l keep reading about, but there not much else thats as light as suzuki axles is there ?
« Last Edit: March 23, 2009, 09:14:50 PM by Engineer »

RC51 Rhino

Re: lightweight rock crawler
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2009, 05:48:13 PM »
That is the coolest thing I've seen in quite a while! I have a mini rail frame I'm thinking would be great for this application also.

Admin

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2009, 05:50:54 PM »
It is very cool, make a damn good mudder to with a little bigger engine... ;D

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2009, 07:41:18 PM »
Way to go! Very cool.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2009, 07:42:09 PM »
I LOVE that first vid!
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Doug Heim

• Bad @$$ Buggy Builder & Parts Supplier
  • Forum Sponsor
    • Doug Heim's Photo Bucket
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2009, 09:52:59 PM »
Awesome!. Thats all I can really say!  :o

SPEC

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2009, 10:31:16 PM »
Thanks Baloo,
It helps me to get started

Offline Baloo

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2009, 12:40:01 AM »
« Last Edit: March 10, 2009, 12:41:34 AM by Baloo »

Offline Baloo

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2009, 12:45:37 AM »
I LOVE that first vid!

one of my favorites too, it looks like it going to get stuck when it first drops in but sort of just pops free,  its still got open diffs at the moment but some ARB's are on the shopping list, then he can try some thing difficult  ;D

Offline Baloo

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2009, 12:48:55 AM »

couple more pics for you

Offline Carlriddle

• Another build? What are you thinking?
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2009, 06:21:35 AM »
Nice, very nice.  Taking FWD turning it and making it 4WD, why didnt I think of that?  Auto power/tranny, reliable, reverse.    I thought it was even smaller than that from pics.
You can keep your CHANGE, I'd like to keep my DOLLAR.

Offline Baloo

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2009, 07:40:02 AM »
Nice, very nice.  Taking FWD turning it and making it 4WD, why didnt I think of that?  Auto power/tranny, reliable, reverse.    I thought it was even smaller than that from pics.

if you want to go smaller how about the suzuki swift engine and gearbox, 1000cc and 3 cylinder, do you get them over there ?, you might even squeeze one in the back of a buggy instead of by the side of the driver

l have plans to biuld one simalar but with a subaru engine, will tell you more about that after l have covered Marks in more detail

Andy

odypilots

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2009, 08:55:47 AM »

if you want to go smaller how about the suzuki swift engine and gearbox, 1000cc and 3 cylinder, do you get them over there ?, you might even squeeze one in the back of a buggy instead of by the side of the driver

l have plans to biuld one simalar but with a subaru engine, will tell you more about that after l have covered Marks in more detail

Andy

Alain from Drakart was thinking the same as you. He put them in his Drak Extreme. Didn't really catch on, though.

SPEC

« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2009, 10:53:23 AM »
Hey I got one of those...car is white as well :o

Offline Baloo

« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2009, 12:31:14 PM »
Hey I got one of those...car is white as well :o

you got one Spec
so how does it go then ? would it be ok as a buggy engine or is just up to the job

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal