Author Topic: Wheel seperation  (Read 5355 times)

Admin

Re: Wheel seperation
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2009, 12:09:11 PM »
still looks like fxxk, are you just suppose to live with it?

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2009, 12:42:24 PM »
But ,of course. You don't like the "failure mode" look?
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Engineer

• Inquisitor
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2009, 12:58:31 PM »
Actually, I have been looking at a wheel beside my desk for a couple weeks now and never even noticed it.  The crack is almost in the corner of the center and the flange, and with the polishing and reflections, you can barely see it.  I am suprised that he got that good of a picture of it.  Then again sometimes a picture shows more than the naked eye.

I just thought it was a machining mark where they turned the corner until I looked close today.

I will keep the POS wheels........  I have seen them living on to many 800 hp, 2500lb cars to believe they won't work now.

But keep talking them down...........  What is the price down to now on the set your trying to sell?

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2009, 01:26:48 PM »
If it looked like a machined seam that would be one thing but those pics make it look like a failure regardless of whether it is or not.I would not be happy with that shit. My last set just looked like a machined seam.Anyway I still have the front DWT's I'll be using since I'm not spending the money to replace them at this point. You know pointing out details like this is just one of the things this site is about.Helping others to know before buying/doing. 8) 8) If you want another set of them Engineer check the classifieds.  ;) The price is more than fair .  ;D ;D ;D
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline fastcorvairs

• Lifetime VIP
  • If it is worth doing!!!!!! Do it in the sand
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2009, 01:43:45 PM »

If I believe I cannot do something it makes me incapable of doing it. But when I believe that I can, then I acquire the ability to do it , even if I didn't have it at the beginning.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2009, 01:48:14 PM »
Does it really look like a crack as the pic shows? Or does it really look like a machined seam? If a seam I have no problem with it but if it looks like a jagged and inconsistent cracked weld or something that DOES bother me.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2009, 01:50:05 PM »
AS for the "we don't really care" attitude I distinctly got that impression when I asked if they were going to produce the wheels I wanted and I had previously asked about and been told "no problem".
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2009, 01:51:28 PM »
I guess I should say the man was very polite and I knew it wasn't his fault that he had to tell me tough luck.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline fastcorvairs

• Lifetime VIP
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2009, 01:52:18 PM »
Master

Really will be good to see pictures of your new wheels when they come in.  Can't believe that they are built the same way as Douglas.  Would hate to lay out more $$$$$$$$$$ four new wheels but can't help but think about a failure doing 80 MPH around Dead horse bowl at the very top rim.   :'( :'( :'(

If I believe I cannot do something it makes me incapable of doing it. But when I believe that I can, then I acquire the ability to do it , even if I didn't have it at the beginning.

Admin

« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2009, 01:53:26 PM »
Master

Really will be good to see pictures of your new wheels when they come in.  Can't believe that they are built the same way as Douglas.  Would hate to lay out more $$$$$$$$$$ four new wheels but can't help but think about a failure doing 80 MPH around Dead horse bowl at the very top rim.   :'( :'( :'(

throw some weld on there and spin them down...

Offline fastcorvairs

• Lifetime VIP
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2009, 01:55:28 PM »
Does it really look like a crack as the pic shows? Or does it really look like a machined seam? If a seam I have no problem with it but if it looks like a jagged and inconsistent cracked weld or something that DOES bother me.

It looks just like the pic's. Very jagged and inconsistent.  Like It was welded and then the bead turned off all the way down to nothing.

Admin

« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2009, 02:10:51 PM »
Hell a good welder could just weld it and leave the pretty bead... to me something is flexing to make a gap, welded or not id be a pissed of mo fo at the price...

Offline Engineer

• Inquisitor
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2009, 04:10:16 PM »
It was never welded.  What your seeing is the unround shape of the spun part of the wheel that is a inconsistently larger ID than the OD of flange on the center part of the wheel.  I don't know why it is jagged, it is like the debur job was rough on the spun ring before it was assembled.  The jagged part is actually inside the crack.  Mine are exactly the same, and if Fabr wants to see it first hand, he can go out in the shop because his are the same as well.

I agree that it would look better if they had formed the wheel a bit smaller, then turned it to within .01 of the billet center, so you wouldn't see the crack.  But that is another setup and more money.

As far as failure, what makes you think that the two pieces are even moving in relation to each other?  I think the fact that the two you haven't run are the same as the ones you have run shows that they aren't degenerating.  As well as everyone else's being the same.

A weld bead around the whole rim 13" dia at that point gives 41 linear inches of weld.  I don't have a problem trusting my life to that.  It's probably 20-30 times as strong as the lug studs.

So what are we down to for the POS Fabr?  I will give $100 for the set!  ;D ;D ;D

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2009, 04:23:33 PM »
Your biased and vested interest in calling them a POS just brought the price up to .......let me think..............300 bux each plus freight.  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D I'm going to the shop now and will look at the new ones I have.I guarantee you this much tho,my old ones did not look like that. They had a nice little line there. Remember that I have said it LOOKS like a failure whether it is or not and not many people would be happy with that look. Bear in mind perception is reality in marketing.  The pics also seem to show the line not consistent around the wheel.Just looks shitty.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Engineer

• Inquisitor
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2009, 04:38:28 PM »
Take a picture.....  I bet yours look the same.  It just isn't noticeable,.............  until your notice.  ;D ;D ;D ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal