Author Topic: Wheel seperation  (Read 5357 times)

Offline fastcorvairs

• Lifetime VIP
  • If it is worth doing!!!!!! Do it in the sand
Wheel seperation
« on: March 08, 2009, 04:51:50 PM »
  What the hell.  :o :o Was just cleaning up the car after a one day run at LS and found that all six of my Douglas bead locks are starting to separate.  Two of them are just trailer tires.  Never seen any run time. Flat ass coming apart where the center star attaches to the outer rim. 
   Have any of you people had trouble with this?  Are these things going to come apart or what.  Should there not be a bead weld around this center?  Take a looky at yours guys.  See ifen you have the same thing going on.

If I believe I cannot do something it makes me incapable of doing it. But when I believe that I can, then I acquire the ability to do it , even if I didn't have it at the beginning.

Offline Boostinjdm

Re: Wheel seperation
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2009, 04:55:17 PM »
Are they aluminum or steel?  is there a weld on the back side?
This post has been edited due to content.

Offline fastcorvairs

• Lifetime VIP
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2009, 05:03:51 PM »
Are they aluminum or steel?  is there a weld on the back side?

They are aluminum.  There is no weld on eather side.  both sides are separated the same. That's whats strange.  Are these thing welded on the inside of the rim?  I will be breaking these down to see what is going on soon. 

If I believe I cannot do something it makes me incapable of doing it. But when I believe that I can, then I acquire the ability to do it , even if I didn't have it at the beginning.

Offline Boostinjdm

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2009, 05:07:27 PM »
I'd bet they were welded then post machined.  the crack would be from cold lapping/poor penetration.  Wheel manufactures have bad batches once in a while.  They used to come in by the truckload at the scrapyard.  I would give douglas a call.
This post has been edited due to content.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2009, 07:06:33 PM »
I bet that would not make me feel safe. Yeah,give them a call.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Admin

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2009, 08:36:58 PM »
I think id go run it some more and call my attorney... ;D IMO Douglas is, or are becoming the cheap product on the market... I have had numerous 10" wheels that are far from being true!!

SPEC

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2009, 05:37:02 AM »
Yup, Douglas's are really going into the toilet,
I was just oout in the shop looking...They are welded...I don't have any cracks But I think I better go and inspect all my Douglas wheels...I think about 16 of them :(

Offline fastcorvairs

• Lifetime VIP
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2009, 06:23:23 AM »
          I called a buddy last night that is using the same wheels Douglas 15X12 aluminum star bead locks. He went out and looked at his and said that they are the same.  Split wide open.  None of the his have been on the sand yet.  I shot Douglas and email last night about it.  We'll see what comes about it.  There Webb site stated that these are a three piece wheel. could that mean that the center is welded to the two outer rings around the middle of the wheel inside?   

Admin

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2009, 06:48:39 AM »
I would assume so yes that is what is meant by 3 piece, the elcheapos are 2 piece, i believe both halves are spun, only welded to hold air and keep the 2 pieces together... Looks like maybe they are welding and turning it off on yours, and that they turned off a bit to much...

SPEC

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2009, 08:00:44 AM »
I got a couple of pix of the inside of an ITP I had on the shelf...

SPEC

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2009, 08:01:45 AM »
Sorry I don't have any douglas, without a tire on them but they're built the same :(

Offline Engineer

• Inquisitor
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2009, 08:53:17 AM »
Spec's pictures are two piece.

I just checked my new Douglas beadlocks and they are the same as yours Corvair.

IMO what we are seeing is the clearance that they use when they make the centers and the outer spun parts.  I never understood how the three piece wheel was welded together, but this makes it clearer.  I would guess that when they put these wheels together, the center piece may have a raised rib 1/4" or so wide, that has the same or similar OD to the spun rings in the center.  They drop a spun ring on each side of the billet center, then lay a weld bead all of the way around the center, that joins all three pieces, the billet center and both spun sides.  This is the only way that I can see that they could get all three pieces welded together in one shot.  The crack is there because they cant get the spun half to an exact tolerance, and don't want it to be press fit for ease of assembly, and to guarantee that both sides are easily seated aginst the center to ensure minimum runnout.

That is how I would built them.......

I am not going to dismount one to find out, but IMO that is what were seeing.

Actually Fabr is going to be dismounting his rears in a couple days to change to the Champions.  Mabey he will get us some pics.

In any case let us know what you find out Corvair!
« Last Edit: March 09, 2009, 08:58:06 AM by Engineer »

Offline fastcorvairs

• Lifetime VIP
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2009, 09:39:25 AM »
Spec's pictures are two piece.

I just checked my new Douglas beadlocks and they are the same as yours Corvair.

IMO what we are seeing is the clearance that they use when they make the centers and the outer spun parts.  I never understood how the three piece wheel was welded together, but this makes it clearer.  I would guess that when they put these wheels together, the center piece may have a raised rib 1/4" or so wide, that has the same or similar OD to the spun rings in the center.  They drop a spun ring on each side of the billet center, then lay a weld bead all of the way around the center, that joins all three pieces, the billet center and both spun sides.  This is the only way that I can see that they could get all three pieces welded together in one shot.  The crack is there because they cant get the spun half to an exact tolerance, and don't want it to be press fit for ease of assembly, and to guarantee that both sides are easily seated aginst the center to ensure minimum runnout.

That is how I would built them.......

I am not going to dismount one to find out, but IMO that is what were seeing.

Actually Fabr is going to be dismounting his rears in a couple days to change to the Champions.  Mabey he will get us some pics.

In any case let us know what you find out Corvair!

Just got off the phone with the tec at Douglas.  You are right engineer 8) 8) The wheel is turned with a lip on either side of the billet center.  Then the two outer rings are put on and a weld is then put around the whole wheel.  encompassing the three pieces as one. What I am seeing as a separation is the tolerance of the id of the outer rings. They do not weld the rim's on the outside at all.  Man told me not to worry my little old pee brain about it.   ;D ;D ;D ;D Ifen there were a separation there it would be leaking air.

Offline Engineer

• Inquisitor
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2009, 09:58:03 AM »
Sweet!!!!   ;D

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2009, 10:45:51 AM »
I assumed that was the assembly method.I'll look at the Champions when they show later this week and see if the DWT's are the same or not when I get the paddles off them. I had a set of old old old Welds on my old door drag car that were made like the DWT's are.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal