Author Topic: How do you strap your ride down?  (Read 5480 times)

Offline Engineer

• Inquisitor
  • Global Moderator
How do you strap your ride down?
« on: February 04, 2009, 06:09:39 PM »
What are the pros and cons of strapping your ride down at the wheels, or on the chassis?

Drag racers always want to hold the car rigid to not "wear out" the shocks and suspension on the way to the track.  I don't know if that is a concern with a buggy.

I just thought that while building, some tow points could be easily implemented.  So what is the best place for them?

Offline Boostinjdm

Re: How do you strap your ride down?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2009, 06:19:00 PM »
the best way would be to throw some blocking under the frame and strap it down till the frame is tight on the blocks.   Next best would be to strap the tires down and let the frame "float" on it's own suspension.  last would be to strap from the front frame forward and the rear frame rearward and let friction take care of the side to side. If you do it this way, you have to make sure that if the frame squats, the straps won't come unhooked.  If I ever get my pilot and dump trailer done, I plan on just driving it in and closing the tailgate, will be a close fit so it won't move much. 

Let the flaming begin.....
This post has been edited due to content.

Offline Engineer

• Inquisitor
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2009, 10:44:20 AM »
No opinions?  I have registered Boostin's "throw it in and slam the door" plan.  ;D  I have been guilty of the same with a four wheeler in the back of a truck, and sideways in the enclosed trailer.  That is one super bonus of an enclosed trailer, not watching the mirror for 4 hours to see if anything has flown off the trailer.  I have never had something in the enclosed trailer not show up to the dunes.  ;D  It may be beat to shit, but it always makes it there.  ;D

Offline Carlriddle

• Another build? What are you thinking?
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2009, 11:58:14 AM »
Have a chain w/hook for front maybe 2-3',  Length determined for balance.  Hook front frame, ratchet strap rear on trailing arm to back.

Never strapped my 4 wheeler in back of my little truck. Dumb ass
You can keep your CHANGE, I'd like to keep my DOLLAR.

Offline Jerry

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2009, 06:47:55 PM »
I strap the front forward and the rear to the rear, and rachet it down real good (they squat alot). This is on a car hauler trailer. The rear one gets three straps if i am going over 50 miles. My hope is that may keep them in place if i loose a strap onthe front one.

Offline Yummi

• Grumpy, Sneezey and Dopey all rolled into one.
  • Administration
    • Jeeping With Dogs
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2009, 06:55:10 PM »
tightly? 

ok, two in front which is the back, one in front which is the back - enclosed trailer
I like things that move.   Pretty much limits me to cars and strippers

Did you know I have a blog?  Come on now, it is 2016, everybody does.  http://www.jeepingwithdogs.com

Admin

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2009, 07:05:20 PM »
I roll my tires up against the front of the trailer, and put one ratchet on the a arm to the trailer tongue... ;D

artie on edge

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2009, 09:53:54 PM »
sort of on topic, kinda, one of my mates arrived at the track with his tilt tray truck which DID have a class 1 buggy sitting on it when he left home... wasnt there when he pulled up. Good onya Barry Johnston (car 164). It was aways down the highway a bit..... he was very vigilant about attaching the car to the truck after that lil incident. Nice guy, now retired from racing, raced 22 years in our national championship and only missed 1 race (yep that weekend when she fell off).

plkracer

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2009, 10:49:17 PM »
If there is something solid to roll it against, I take two large ratchet straps and hook them around the frame by the cross member near the seat. If the buggy is not against something, i use 4 straps, 2 forward, two backward. The ones going forward are in the front corners of the frame, and the ones going back are next to the engine, around the base frame.

SPEC

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2009, 04:57:40 AM »
I have tied down using the frame, If on rouph roads the risk of the tiedowns coming off are pretty good, unless you really reef on them to compress the suspension beyond what it would riding on those rouph roads...
I build swing arm rear cars so I tie the swing arm (rear) to the lower control arm in the front...

plkracer

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2009, 11:36:20 PM »
Yeah, I reef on em pretty good, then jump on the car to make sure it won't budge. Check, check, and recheck while traveling. I used come-a-longs last time and they worked very nicely.

Offline Yummi

• Grumpy, Sneezey and Dopey all rolled into one.
  • Administration
    • Jeeping With Dogs
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2009, 07:00:33 AM »
I just figured everybody was using ratchet straps - are they not?
I like things that move.   Pretty much limits me to cars and strippers

Did you know I have a blog?  Come on now, it is 2016, everybody does.  http://www.jeepingwithdogs.com

Offline Jerry

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2009, 08:14:36 AM »
I am, the big ones you see on semi's. 4 or 5 of them

trojan

« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2009, 11:00:09 PM »
Ratchet Straps?!?! you guys are hardcore bondage freaks!

I ask her politely to "put her seatbelt on"....

ff:

plkracer

« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2009, 01:31:01 AM »
eh?? Yah, ratchet straps or come-alongs for me. The small ones I use for the motorbikes don't quite hold up to a 1000 lb machine though.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal