Author Topic: Fuel cells  (Read 778 times)

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
Fuel cells
« on: April 30, 2023, 07:58:31 AM »
So in restoring scotts (dunebound ) old rail, I purchased an aluminum fuelmaster "fuel cell" from speedway motors listed as racing and offroad use. Turns out that was a poor choice!  Learned very quickly just how poor quality they are and that they are not for offroad use in a rail. Split down the center of the weld, jerry was kind enough to tie that weld , then on the next run it split down the other side. Pouring fuel out all over everything is a bit scary, especially the battery.

Learned a hard lesson in the importance of a fuel cell with a bladder for this application. Luckily speedway acknowledged the manufacturer defect and credited the full amount towards a fuel tank with a bladder. Not completely sure how I will mount it yet but I do want some cushion under it.

Here are a few pics of the split welds. 1st pic is after re welding. Next 2 are of the crack in center of the weld.

« Last Edit: April 30, 2023, 08:01:43 AM by dsrace »
Don't never argue with an Idiot!
Because he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
Re: Fuel cells
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2023, 08:03:55 AM »

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2023, 12:03:11 PM »
No need for any cushions with that cell.  The outer tank is only armor for the actual tank inside it. The outer tank will provide any needed movement from chassis twist  etc. and isolate the inner cell from harm. Mount that steel shell direct to frame.

You will need to add a return line to that tank since it only has feed and vent provided. I'd add it to the filler plate with the other fittings. You don't want to put a T in the vent for the return even though that is temptingly easy.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2023, 01:01:10 PM by fabr »
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2023, 12:10:01 PM »
I know most everyone poo-pooed and some outright laughed at me for having PEX rotomolded inside my custom fuel tank but now you have seen first hand the danger of a welded alum tank. Welds are known to break and far too many burned seriously to ignore IMO. You were very lucky especially with the precious cargo you had with you.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2023, 12:20:17 PM »
BTW throw that POS/worthless/even dangerous roll over valve in the trash.  Route a vent hose from tank to top of roll bar then across the width of car and back down to below the floor.  That is the only safe way to vent a tank-period. I know you know that but thought it important to repeat for others.  FWIW those roll over vent valves only marginally work when upside down and don't work at all if car is on it's side.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2023, 12:22:26 PM »
BTW,thanks for posting the pics.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2023, 12:55:09 PM »
I am very pleased to see the bladder is of cross linked polythylene (PEX like mine is ). It is superior to plain polyethylene both in strength and permeability. Running e85 ,that is a big plus.   I may be remembering wrong but I think those types of cells used to use plain polyethylene .
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2023, 03:42:58 PM »
very good info to know on rigid mounting.

that is something i never want to experience again! fuel was pouring out twice! i was ready to call it quits on the first rupture as i didn't trust the tank after that. i just knew the other seams were going to snap as well.

never poo pooed you for that. i had never had an issue with the spun aluminum tanks so didn't see a need for it in my case. my eyes were opened and luckily it wasn't the extreme hard way. so i will be replacing the tank in mine as well !!  thinking about this one if it will fit. https://rcionline.myshopify.com/products/15-gallon-rci-rock-crawler-fuel-cell-black-30x10x14-5-2161jd

or this one and moving the wing trunk up. this would allow me to move my radiator back and drop the inner cooler so i can use my mirror again. the above linked tank might to, but i won't know until i get it back in to start working on it. i pre fer the sending unit, especially for the st a dunes trips that will be as soon as i can make a trip with out issue to LS.  i will as soon as the red one is running again so it drives into the trailer.  https://rcionline.myshopify.com/products/18-gallon-wedge-circle-track-fuel-cell-1182fd-24-5x24-5x13

i would really pre fer a tank behind the seat sitting on the floor to get the weight lower but they don't offer this with bladder  https://rcionline.myshopify.com/products/rci-aluminum-fuel-cell-2171a

:m i know not to T in to the tip over valve but i can see making sure  rofl   i have no plans to keep that valve. my experiance with them is they corrode and jamb. on scotts rail, i had 1/2" id hose ran to the flag mount, across the roll cage, down the side to the back of the tank, across the frame and then down the frame below the tank. that was the clear vinyl hose that was zipped tied. i know that isn't the best hose to use but it was cheap enough to toss just to see if fuel was splashing up the vent line with a full tank. never got that opportunity as the pos tank failed quickly.

i ordered another bulk head an fitting to add to the cover. there is plenty of room on that cover/lid for a third fitting. if i could pull that ball out of that tip over fitting i would use that for a return and drill and tapp an 3/8" npt and jb weld the fitting in for a vent line. the bulk head fittings are cheap enough so ill wait.

happy to post the pics. glad my daughter took some as i didn't and didnt even get the go pro out. 

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2023, 12:57:41 PM »
Considering adding this system to the tank i choose for my sand rail.

https://www.holley.com/products/fuel_systems/hydramat/

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2023, 06:54:51 PM »
I'm all for it myself. I haven't done so yet as I don't know how it would anchor to the PEX lining in my tank or the one I think you are buying. Adhesives that will tolerate gas/ethanol will not stick. For that matter almost nothing does.  That's the only thing holding me back from getting one to fit my tank. I think it would be great for those long runs needing every last drop of fuel that can be had.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2023, 06:59:16 PM by fabr »
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2023, 07:30:40 PM »

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2023, 07:49:38 PM »
Unfortunately I have no room for a tank behind the seats unless its custom and lined of course or a round 8" x 50" customized and lined or this tank over the trans under the wing trunk. I found 8x38" but would have to call about 50".  https://rcionline.myshopify.com/products/16-gallon-wedge-circle-track-fuel-cell-1162fd-24-5x24-5x12

Do not truly want the extra weight back there but its the only other option and far far cheaper. Nothing cheap about custom !  Above the trans is where my 11 gal round sat even with the bottom of the wing trunk and was taller then the wing. This would atleast drop the tank approx 12" lower the the round. Would also shift a tad weight to the rear just behind the axle where it barely in front before.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal