Author Topic: interesting discussion  (Read 2392 times)

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
Re: interesting discussion
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2022, 03:49:32 PM »
what bo of bo port posted online. also interesting  ;)

BOPORT 2.3 ford camshafts are dyno developed cams, all of which are specifically designed turbo cams with target purposes. At this point in time we do not include "cam cards" with our cams. We have worked hard to develop these camshafts and they are dyno proven to outperform most offerings available today. We dont feel the need to educate other manufactures and enthusiasts at the expense of our hard work and investments.

What we do include is the important information about each cam's running characteristics, valve lift (to ensure the cam will mechanically fit), and we also publish recommended spring pressure requirements to ensure stable valvetrain operation with our cam lobe profiles. All camshafts are designed to be installed "straight-up" in terms of timing, the advance or retard is built into the cam. For ultimate performance of your BOPORT cam, we recommend you dial your camshaft in with use of an adjustable cam gear and compare these timing changes on a dynometer or race track.

All BOPORT camshafts are reduced base circle by design, which in hydraulic applications requires your HLA's (lifters) to be shimmed upwards to take up this distance. We include a shim kit with every hydraulic cam we sell, engineered for a perfect fit. Special attention must be paid to ensure proper oil flow to the HLA's after shimming. Which is accomplished by extended groove HLA's designed specifically for shimming. Factory narrow groove HLA's will not work properly. We offer these extended groove HLA's at a discounted price when purchased with our cams. Also included is complete instructions with diagrams to assist you with the installation.
Don't never argue with an Idiot!
Because he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2022, 05:02:37 PM »
Pure BS. 20 minutes swith a cam.  analyzer and all that info .magically appeaes.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2022, 08:42:59 AM »
Pure BS. 20 minutes swith a cam.  analyzer and all that info .magically appeaes.

yes i agree but what i found interesting about his various statements was......  All camshafts are designed to be installed "straight-up" in terms of timing

and in the same post continue to state  ....... For ultimate performance of your BOPORT cam, we recommend you dial your camshaft in with use of an adjustable cam gear and compare these timing changes on a dynometer or race track.

so either they are designed to be set at straight up or not. i did exactly that and it appears that it has been retarded 8* this whole time. he even told me in his email that a degree ring is the only way to set them but still has that posted on his site. 

on a side note, scott, steve and that utah group that run the 2.3 lima as i do , all retard there cams 4* so they can run 6k rpm. if they leave them stock ( set straight up) then on the stock cam they peter out about 5200 rpm. they loose bottom end of course and know it but with the stock cam the only way to make any power above 5200 rpm is to retard the cam or so i have been told. its that noticable  with that group and all in that group run there's that way.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2022, 06:44:21 AM »
Boport is a seller of parts and as such is more than willing to spew BS,IMO. If you want to know what works for your particular needs /wants then it needs dyno time. Real dyno time , not some snake oil dyno BS as most are providing. It takes a lot of cam and cam timing and ignition timing maximization across all rpm ranges and that takes a very knowledgeable operator. Those are apparently few and far between. The other issue is the cost of said dyno time. This stuff takes many hours of testing-proper testing. So far I haven't been impressed .  IMO, really good data logs and interpretation of them are as good or better for us than spending the $$$$ at the dyno with a rather uninterested operator.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2022, 11:45:25 AM »
Mine will be set using a degree ring. That will get me as close as possible to 0.  I don't have a degree ring but wishman does a miles south.

You are correct, he sells parts. He shouldn't be stating the cams are designed to be set straight up if they are not. If mine is retarded 8* as I believe......thats not even close for having been set straight up.

Wish is an engine builder and tuner. He personally uses megasquirt and e85 on his builds. Last build was a 5.0 mustang body style and I believe 1000hp v8. Not sure how I could get my rail on his chassis dyno though. 84" width limit!!!!!

I agree that the majority of tuners want the quick money and rush through. They narrow their field of view and  tune for that narrow path through the fuel map lol sadly, some have experienced this more then others. 

Data logs are you best friend per application per build per driver. Best way to fine tune but in most cases, a quick trip to the dyno for the "best" base tune you can get......well that HOPEFULLY speeds up the process.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2022, 12:16:21 PM »
FWIW,I always install cams with the degree ring straight up to begin with and check P/V clearances. Then I set the cam at 4-8 degrees retarded and check P/V clearance. Same with advanced 4-8. That way I am assured of adequate P/V clearance at whatever I deem best with testing.   On my engines I am usually limited to 4*.. All you will gain with moving the ICL will be about a 400 rpm shift up/down the peak torque rpm.  I'm not convinced the 800 rpm shift that the ID guys say they feel is all reality. But I won't say it's impossible using really bad cams to begin with.   

Boparts is just blowing smoke about his cams and is also covering his ass. I do not like that in a supplier.                         
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2022, 10:11:40 AM »
FWIW,I always install cams with the degree ring straight up to begin with and check P/V clearances. Then I set the cam at 4-8 degrees retarded and check P/V clearance. Same with advanced 4-8. That way I am assured of adequate P/V clearance at whatever I deem best with testing.   On my engines I am usually limited to 4*.. All you will gain with moving the ICL will be about a 400 rpm shift up/down the peak torque rpm.  I'm not convinced the 800 rpm shift that the ID guys say they feel is all reality. But I won't say it's impossible using really bad cams to begin with.   

Boparts is just blowing smoke about his cams and is also covering his ass. I do not like that in a supplier.                       

well i know i have plenty of clearance for 8* retarded  :m :nw  i only say that as i advanced it 8* on my last dune trip 1 hrs before the trans blew. i did so because the exh manifold was glowing under light load cruising speeds.

so i did not set mine with a degree ring because every site i looked at all said set using the ebar method. bo port, stinger performance, turbo ford and speedway motors where i bought the adjustable cam gear from. clearly that is not the way to set bo ports cams! he of course has admited this in an email now.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal