Author Topic: got the red rail home.  (Read 32227 times)

Offline fabr

• Administrator
Re: got the red rail home.
« Reply #90 on: January 30, 2023, 06:04:14 PM »
Yes.Mitch,sorry for your loss.

As for no more big projects I guess it all depends on how big big is defined as. :m :nw

Actually,I know of a certain toterhome that is due for a remodel............. Drowning
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #91 on: January 30, 2023, 06:44:54 PM »
So toter home remodels are fun projects!  ;D
" the less talent they have, the more pride, vanity and arrogance they have. All these fools, however, find other fools who applauded them " .    ERASMUS 1509

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #92 on: January 30, 2023, 08:46:36 PM »
 : :m :m :m :m :m :m :m :m :m :m :m :m :m :m :m :m :m :m :m :m :m :m :m :m :m :m :m :m
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #93 on: January 31, 2023, 06:45:37 AM »
budlight, did you get your back up trans back yet? did the r&p brian N sourced for mike make it to the trans shop?
" the less talent they have, the more pride, vanity and arrogance they have. All these fools, however, find other fools who applauded them " .    ERASMUS 1509

Online DeepBusch69

« Reply #94 on: January 31, 2023, 09:44:28 AM »
budlight, did you get your back up trans back yet? did the r&p brian N sourced for mike make it to the trans shop?

I got it back just last week.  They could not find anything wrong, had it laying around for 7 months, but I didn't really bug them about it.  They finally found that a part that used to be only for the 5 speed was installed, but Weddle changed it a few years back to be common with the 4 speed, so the part had wrong splines and would work, just not very good.  He said mine was the very last 5 speed built. 

Mike had the R&P delivered to the tranny shop, no word yet on when he might get it back.  He is working on electric power steering now before he sends the frame to powder coat. 

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #95 on: January 31, 2023, 11:13:10 AM »

I got it back just last week.  They could not find anything wrong, had it laying around for 7 months, but I didn't really bug them about it.  They finally found that a part that used to be only for the 5 speed was installed, but Weddle changed it a few years back to be common with the 4 speed, so the part had wrong splines and would work, just not very good.  He said mine was the very last 5 speed built. 

Mike had the R&P delivered to the tranny shop, no word yet on when he might get it back.  He is working on electric power steering now before he sends the frame to powder coat.

Glad to hear its all sorted out.

Mike will enjoy the eps for sure. The way you two run those trails i bet that will be anoticeable difference.

How long should we wait before convincing him he needs car to car??  :m

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #96 on: February 04, 2023, 06:34:05 PM »
Contacted translation, he has years of experience with the t1 to 930 stubs. He said 225 ft lbs and tighten until the cotter pin hole lines up. The repair book for 1970 beetle says 217 ft lbs tq.

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #97 on: February 05, 2023, 05:12:52 PM »
Rear end is aligned and back on its wheels.  Coolant is vac filled,  I really like that tool! Just poured 5 gallons of fuel in and looking for the batt tie down before I try and start it.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #98 on: February 05, 2023, 07:06:03 PM »
Vacuum filling cooling system is great.Only way I do it anymore.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #99 on: February 05, 2023, 08:06:55 PM »
so she fired up and idles really good for not having started for 8 years.  the wiring schematic looked like the pcm was sending a neg signal to energize the fuel pump and cooling fan relays.....i guess i read it wrong  :m turns out its sending positive voltage. re wired the fuel pump and need to re wire the cooling fan relay. i installed a bypass switch for the fans but wired it as a grounding circuit. so i need to pull the center console apart and re wire that too. scott wired 2 leds into the console ,1  of which is to see when the fans turn on. i will wire that back in. i meant to but forgot and didn't want to open it back up. well i get too now and not the end of the world if this is the only issues i have after building a new harness! jacked it up and ran it through the gears to get the oil coating everything again. new gen 2 coil packs, wires and ngk plugs stopped the black smoke and woke it back up! will be fun to drive once the snow and ice has melted. the fuel pump leaks out of the positive terminal post. i bought it a year ago so there is no warranty. i ordered a replacement tonight and should probably order a 2nd for a spare.  no other fuel leaks other then that and no coolant leaks. i left it on vac for 10 mins and never saw a loss before i filled it.

Offline Carlriddle

• Another build? What are you thinking?
« Reply #100 on: February 06, 2023, 01:59:08 AM »
 jj: jj: 

Red rail will ride again!!  Awesome
You can keep your CHANGE, I'd like to keep my DOLLAR.

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #101 on: February 06, 2023, 10:12:28 AM »
supposed to be in the upper 40's to low 50's until thursday....then snow again. as soon as possible i will be running it down the road! was great to hear it run after all these years. no sure on the rear coil rates. but it will make a dune trip with the 325/400 to get a base line. he went that heavy so that he and his father could ride in it.

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #102 on: February 06, 2023, 10:58:04 AM »

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #103 on: February 06, 2023, 06:17:49 PM »
so she fired up and idles really good for not having started for 8 years.  the wiring schematic looked like the pcm was sending a neg signal to energize the fuel pump and cooling fan relays.....i guess i read it wrong  :m turns out its sending positive voltage. re wired the fuel pump and need to re wire the cooling fan relay. i installed a bypass switch for the fans but wired it as a grounding circuit. so i need to pull the center console apart and re wire that too. scott wired 2 leds into the console ,1  of which is to see when the fans turn on. i will wire that back in. i meant to but forgot and didn't want to open it back up. well i get too now and not the end of the world if this is the only issues i have after building a new harness! jacked it up and ran it through the gears to get the oil coating everything again. new gen 2 coil packs, wires and ngk plugs stopped the black smoke and woke it back up! will be fun to drive once the snow and ice has melted. the fuel pump leaks out of the positive terminal post. i bought it a year ago so there is no warranty. i ordered a replacement tonight and should probably order a 2nd for a spare.  no other fuel leaks other then that and no coolant leaks. i left it on vac for 10 mins and never saw a loss before i filled it.
I wired all my big buggy negative switched. Switches carry fewer amps that way and should last longer as well.

I let mine sit under vac for a few hours. A few minutes bit me in the ass a couple times.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #104 on: February 11, 2023, 09:53:23 AM »
I wired all my big buggy negative switched. Switches carry fewer amps that way and should last longer as well.

I let mine sit under vac for a few hours. A few minutes bit me in the ass a couple times.

i too always try my best to use the switches as ground circuits when possible. in this case, for a bypass for the cooling fans and fuel pump, the pcm is sending power vs a ground. my fuel pump didnt show yesterday as originally scheduled and now it's looking like monday....what a surprise  :m    i am trying to use the pcm to control the fans based on the factory temp sensor rather then a stand alone unit. the stand alone is nice and i have never had issues with them but already spent plenty to revive this one and the low and high fan leads are there and un used. i left the check vavle in the fuel pump just  because it may provide quicker restarts but i think i will delete it while installing the new pump. doesnt actually need to be there imo.   

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal