Author Topic: got the red rail home.  (Read 31462 times)

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
Re: got the red rail home.
« Reply #45 on: September 30, 2022, 08:54:36 AM »
Don't never argue with an Idiot!
Because he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #46 on: September 30, 2022, 08:55:52 AM »

Online DeepBusch69

« Reply #47 on: September 30, 2022, 09:48:09 AM »
Good to see that you are making some progress. Did the UPS truck run over the box?  Damn

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #48 on: September 30, 2022, 10:16:01 AM »
It always happens when time is short.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #49 on: September 30, 2022, 10:19:08 AM »
Do we assume you are trying to get Scotts rail ready to bring to LS? What about yours and the new HV-1?
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #50 on: September 30, 2022, 11:43:19 AM »
Good to see that you are making some progress. Did the UPS truck run over the box?  Damn

Pretty sure they air dropped it w/o a parachute  :nw going to work on it all weekend as well or right after I mow.

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #51 on: September 30, 2022, 11:46:41 AM »
Do we assume you are trying to get Scotts rail ready to bring to LS? What about yours and the new HV-1?

Your assumption is correct, key word is trying. Lots of surprises around every corner.

My rail and the hv 24 haven't met yet  ;D  I need scott mobile before I start on mine. Mine is parked in his trailer currently as thats a full winter project. I have some other. Hanves in mind for it as well.

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #52 on: October 10, 2022, 09:04:08 AM »
i made some progress on the red rail last this weekend. i have to constantly remind myself to just get it done and stop trying to improve the design. i spent the majority of the day building a fuel cell mount. i wanted it as low as possible and detachable. the tank bolts to the mount and the mount bolts to the frame. i wanted both easy to unbolt as i am getting older and my knees don't bend like they used to. i guess i need more hemp oil  ;D ;D   if both come out then removing the trans is a lot easier. i also wanted the 15 gal fuel cell to hold the fuel pump/pre filter combo i will be running on his rail. so a 2 in 1 mount and i had to tach it in place piece by piece with the tank leveled with the frame. i know i know , 15 gals is a lot of weight but this rail is already a tank.  stock 3800 v6 so pump fuel and and 15 gals should last a couple days and can be driven to the pump!!  ;) ;) lol

going to stop at speedway motors tonight to get some more AN fittings. i would like to say the rest of the AN fittings but i seem to need a couple trips to get it right  :m i don't have any pics of anything yet and i need to cut 2 upright tubes off that go from the rear engine bay to the top of the cage. need to relocate them and want to add a bend at each end to give them a slightly diff look. now that the tank is mounted the new twisted radiator need them moved to be easier to remove and install.  i want everything easily accessable with rails as its going to my children. i still need to finish grinding off the a couple radius rod tabs and weld new in. one spot on the frame to re inforce. need to go through the wiring and didnt re locate the shocks as i have another idea so we don't widen the track width.  also need to weld up the bearing carriers and pick up some more radius rods.

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #53 on: October 20, 2022, 07:59:25 AM »
Made some progress on the red rail last couple nights. Been a real struggle to find time and even more of a struggle not putting it back in hibernation to work on mine!!! Giving this one to the kids so it needs to be finished and done in a way I won't need to walk anyone though lots of repairs! I have to continually stop myself working on this rail. I have a nasty habit  of designing things to be shoe horned in and that won't work for this one. Everything needs to be easily accessible and easy to work on. 

I do have a fair Mount to finish but if I get the radiator housing built tonight a d the last 2- 6 link link tabs made and welded in then its all downhill from there. Have to make coolant lines i. The bender and all the fuel lines but the rest is bolt on ........for the most part  :nw

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #54 on: October 20, 2022, 11:45:13 AM »
I know the feeling. I hate thrashing to get stuff done but sometimes a deadline is a good thing for making progress happen.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #55 on: October 24, 2022, 03:47:05 PM »
the rail is going to the kids. i will be driving it for a while as they don't yet have a solution for storage or transportation. as i  will be driving it while i fix/build a new rail i will expect some comfort and performance  ;D ;) :m

still not done with the house repairs from that hail storm. its just crazy how slow that work force is or i should say how understaffed and in demand they are.

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #56 on: October 24, 2022, 06:39:52 PM »
the older you get , the busier you get.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #57 on: November 02, 2022, 10:26:50 AM »
Sneak peak. 

Going to try my spin on the older 3 link design using the semi trailing arms off a 2021 kawasaki krx 1000.  I am planning on utilizing 4 inboard links ( radius rods) rather then 3. I chose the krx for a few reasons but has the main arm I was looking for. So the arm is 49" long and only $340 each new. It pivots at the bearing carrier front edge.

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #58 on: November 02, 2022, 10:36:31 AM »

This design is not going on the red rail i am working on. This will be something I play with refining for my rails winter project. I have designed, built and ran many 4 link, 5 link and 6 link systems. Then went to a arm and they all have pros and cons but shock placement is so limited on the multi link systems and very touch as to location over the axles. My hopes is refine this style to fit my use. Kawi has 21.5" travel with 4" gc at full bump. Anything between 20" to 22" wheel travel with a min 4" gc at full bump with my idea of min toe change will be perfect. I have ran 18" wheel travel, 20",22, 24 and even 26" on my v6 rail. All on fox air except the v6 which was coil assist air. With a properly tuned shock 18 or 20 is more then enough. The diff in ride in 20" vs 26" isn't noticeable imo.

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #59 on: November 02, 2022, 01:22:13 PM »
I see what you were telling me now. I also think the design is legit. What i don't like especially since I tend to overbuild is the material thickness at the hub attachment point. IMO only I think they were designed to be minimally strong enough for the weight of the kawasaki krx 1000 rear but should be perhaps beefed up in that area. Along that line of thought the rest of the arm may also fall into that enough but not overly so.  I understand and agree with your thoughts about ready availability and economical if needing replacement but.........   Anyway ,yes,I think your idea is valid in concept.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal