Author Topic: OUT WITH THE OLD VW. IN WITH THE SUBARU  (Read 50376 times)

Online DeepBusch69

Re: OUT WITH THE OLD VW. IN WITH THE SUBARU
« Reply #165 on: April 05, 2017, 12:29:05 PM »
were is the group camping at. the dates ????

I am Cowboy camp along with a few others.  Fabr is at Duece's.  My dates there are 5/2 thru 5/6, heading home Sunday. 

Offline big dave

« Reply #166 on: April 05, 2017, 12:31:12 PM »
I am Cowboy camp along with a few others.  Fabr is at Duece's.  My dates there are 5/2 thru 5/6, heading home Sunday.
Ok thanks I need to get a sight reserved.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #167 on: April 06, 2017, 08:56:00 AM »
Ya,I'm @ Dueces in spot 14 Tues-Fri. Arrive Tues,leaving Saturday.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I participate in your fantasy"

Offline big dave

« Reply #168 on: April 10, 2017, 06:47:46 AM »
Well,, I test ran the car in the sand. pulled hard in all four gear to 7000rpm. I will say, it is lacking in the low end. but when the boost comes in, its time to hold on and hit the next gear. I'm not sure, if I lost a vacuum line or what! but all of a sudden it limits the rpms to 3000rpm. it has temp. protection on warm up and over temp. but I do not thank it is this. I let the car cool down for a few hours and it is still limiting it to 3000rpm.  I have not looked at the vacuum/ boost reference lines yet. but it seem like it is limiting it, right as I start making boost. any thought??
« Last Edit: April 10, 2017, 07:09:02 AM by big dave »

Offline Punkur67

« Reply #169 on: April 10, 2017, 07:29:13 AM »
Well,, I test ran the car in the sand. pulled hard in all four gear to 7000rpm. I will say, it is lacking in the low end. but when the boost comes in, its time to hold on and hit the next gear. I'm not sure, if I lost a vacuum line or what! but all of a sudden it limits the rpms to 3000rpm. it has temp. protection on warm up and over temp. but I do not thank it is this. I let the car cool down for a few hours and it is still limiting it to 3000rpm.  I have not looked at the vacuum/ boost reference lines yet. but it seem like it is limiting it, right as I start making boost. any thought??
I had to drive my 2.0 like a 2 stroke. You will learn to throttle before you hit a hill or incline to build boost.
What plug gap do you have? I had that same issue with mine when I first got it and it was just plugs. I change mine every season and keep plenty handy. If the gap is too big the turbo will blow the spark out. I set mine to .025.
Its better to be a smartass than a dumbass!

Offline big dave

« Reply #170 on: April 10, 2017, 10:49:41 AM »
I had to drive my 2.0 like a 2 stroke. You will learn to throttle before you hit a hill or incline to build boost.
What plug gap do you have? I had that same issue with mine when I first got it and it was just plugs. I change mine every season and keep plenty handy. If the gap is too big the turbo will blow the spark out. I set mine to .025.
New plugs ( NKG R5671A-7 )  put in at the dyno. internet said out of the box .032gap. looks like I my try regaping them. factory said .025.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2017, 01:56:51 PM by big dave »

Offline big dave

« Reply #171 on: April 10, 2017, 01:57:56 PM »
what did you run for plugs????

Offline Punkur67

« Reply #172 on: April 10, 2017, 02:11:33 PM »
New plugs ( NKG R5671A-7 )  put in at the dyno. internet said out of the box .032gap. looks like I my try regaping them. factory said .025.
I put  a fresh set in my new motor at .035 out of the box. They ran great all weekend and on my last ride would not rev over 4k. I threw fresh plugs in at .025 in when I got home and ran perfect. I was running NGK but now run standard Autolite plugs per recommendation from a local builder. The Autolite is copper core and has a shorter ground electrode that makes it more square to the positive electrode.
I will get the numbers tonight. And I ALWAYS check plug gaps cause they are not always correct out of the box.

Offline big dave

« Reply #173 on: April 10, 2017, 03:46:10 PM »
I put  a fresh set in my new motor at .035 out of the box. They ran great all weekend and on my last ride would not rev over 4k. I threw fresh plugs in at .025 in when I got home and ran perfect. I was running NGK but now run standard Autolite plugs per recommendation from a local builder. The Autolite is copper core and has a shorter ground electrode that makes it more square to the positive electrode.
I will get the numbers tonight. And I ALWAYS check plug gaps cause they are not always correct out of the box.
I'M WITH YOU ON CHECKING THE PLUG GAP, OUT OF THE BOX. BUT, I DID NOT WANT TO STEP ON THE TUNERS TOES. WE HAD ALLREADY HAD A FEW HEATED WORDS, BY THIS POINT. BUT THIS IS GOOD TO HERE. IT WILL BE THE FIRST THING I TRY. THANKS FOR THE INPUT. NOT YELLING. I HAVE TO TYPE EVRYTHING IN CAPS AT WORK. ITS A HARD HABBIT TO BREAK. LOL  I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW WHAT PLUG YOUR RUNING NOW WHEN YOU HAVE TIME.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2017, 04:03:15 PM by big dave »

Offline Punkur67

« Reply #174 on: April 10, 2017, 09:47:48 PM »
I'M WITH YOU ON CHECKING THE PLUG GAP, OUT OF THE BOX. BUT, I DID NOT WANT TO STEP ON THE TUNERS TOES. WE HAD ALLREADY HAD A FEW HEATED WORDS, BY THIS POINT. BUT THIS IS GOOD TO HERE. IT WILL BE THE FIRST THING I TRY. THANKS FOR THE INPUT. NOT YELLING. I HAVE TO TYPE EVRYTHING IN CAPS AT WORK. ITS A HARD HABBIT TO BREAK. LOL  I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW WHAT PLUG YOUR RUNING NOW WHEN YOU HAVE TIME.
I was running ngk ZFR7F-11. I am now running autolite 3992

Offline Carlriddle

• Another build? What are you thinking?
« Reply #175 on: April 11, 2017, 05:42:48 AM »
John from Outfront made a post on GD about plugs and gap on his motors.  He was quite picky about it and said boosted tuned motor were too.  See if I can find info.................
You can keep your CHANGE, I'd like to keep my DOLLAR.

Offline Carlriddle

• Another build? What are you thinking?
« Reply #176 on: April 11, 2017, 06:56:55 AM »
http://www.glamisdunes.com/invision/index.php?/forums/topic/301856-spark-plugs-for-subaru-ej20-20-turbo/#comment-4615082

In case ya just want to read here
 John:I never use iridium nor platinum on my engines, these plugs are designed to go 50k miles in a street car at near 14.7 to 1 AFR, they can last there like that. when they are in a dune buggy with a lot
richer tune they could foul and not recover. go with the copper NGK that have been recommended.
sometimes cheaper is better!!!

Esco said:

azcg said:
Getting ready to change the plugs in my stock Subie 2.0 turbo running 6 psi of boost on 91 octane.
Many of the Subaru forums vary about what's best. NGK BKR6EIX (Iridium) or NGK BKR6-11 (Copper) NGK PFR6G (Platinum) seem the most common. But there's also talk of using one range colder NGK BKR7.
What are other members experience with their 2.0 motors?
I use these in mine NGK-ZFR6F-11 Copper core V power

I also use the NGK-ZFR6F-11, gap to 0.020 replace every season.
The plugs come pre-gapped to 0.030 or so, so you have bend the tip down a lot to get 0.020 and the tip will not be parallel with the electrode.
You can try gapping to 0.025 or 0.030. When gapped that big I got miss fires under boast, felt like a rev limiter at higher RPMs.
The gap gets wider with use, so gap to 0.020 now and at the end of the season it will be bigger. Keeping running them and it will misfire under boost.

Sounds like your description.
You can keep your CHANGE, I'd like to keep my DOLLAR.

Offline big dave

« Reply #177 on: April 11, 2017, 09:25:20 AM »
http://www.glamisdunes.com/invision/index.php?/forums/topic/301856-spark-plugs-for-subaru-ej20-20-turbo/#comment-4615082

In case ya just want to read here
 John:I never use iridium nor platinum on my engines, these plugs are designed to go 50k miles in a street car at near 14.7 to 1 AFR, they can last there like that. when they are in a dune buggy with a lot
richer tune they could foul and not recover. go with the copper NGK that have been recommended.
sometimes cheaper is better!!!

Esco said:

azcg said:
Getting ready to change the plugs in my stock Subie 2.0 turbo running 6 psi of boost on 91 octane.
Many of the Subaru forums vary about what's best. NGK BKR6EIX (Iridium) or NGK BKR6-11 (Copper) NGK PFR6G (Platinum) seem the most common. But there's also talk of using one range colder NGK BKR7.
What are other members experience with their 2.0 motors?
I use these in mine NGK-ZFR6F-11 Copper core V power

I also use the NGK-ZFR6F-11, gap to 0.020 replace every season.
The plugs come pre-gapped to 0.030 or so, so you have bend the tip down a lot to get 0.020 and the tip will not be parallel with the electrode.
You can try gapping to 0.025 or 0.030. When gapped that big I got miss fires under boast, felt like a rev limiter at higher RPMs.
The gap gets wider with use, so gap to 0.020 now and at the end of the season it will be bigger. Keeping running them and it will misfire under boost.

Sounds like your description.
thanks for the info. great read. I tried to regap them last night. this has not fixed the problem. looking at the ecu program. it is defiantly setting a rpm limit. . ecu gives me a fault code. but I have not found in the parameters or setting, anything that should be limiting it at 3800-4000 rpm. there are some rpm limit seat from temp. but I do not believe it is based off of temp, as I can see these limits clear as temp. is reached in the motor. oh the fun of it lol. best I can tell it is setting a bit. that is now being held.(aka rpm limit) time to dig in to the tuning config. more.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2017, 09:43:09 AM by big dave »

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #178 on: April 11, 2017, 09:55:23 AM »
i know you said you tried re gapping but did you try a new set gapped correctly for you boost level? the old ones my be damaged internally at this point.
" the less talent they have, the more pride, vanity and arrogance they have. All these fools, however, find other fools who applauded them " .    ERASMUS 1509

Offline big dave

« Reply #179 on: April 11, 2017, 12:10:45 PM »
i know you said you tried re gapping but did you try a new set gapped correctly for you boost level? the old ones my be damaged internally at this point.
no,  I did not try know ones. for no more then they cost I will give it a shot. But at this point its in the ecu. in my mind. for what that's worth.  rofl  I can clear the faults in the ecu. aka RPM limit. when car is running, I hit the gas and it brings the fault back after reaching 3800 RPM. it looks to me like the ecu has set the limit. but it does not have a reset function.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal