Author Topic: Radiators and Cooling 101  (Read 4996 times)

Offline BDKW1

Re: Radiators and Cooling 101
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2013, 02:09:10 PM »
When you say 3X 3/8NPT openings, is that per head?

If you are running more than a -4 off the rear ports, head gasket selection becomes real important. Even -6 will screw up the flow with stock location/size coolant hole passages in the gasket.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2013, 04:38:13 PM »
Yes ,per head. 6 ports total. The block is a GM CNC factory "race" block with the priorty main oiling and revised coolant hole layout. Using correct gasket for the block. I've run this head,in it's bigger bro version CV330 for a lot of years in the dragster and only used the front and rear head outlets without issue using -8. I'm thinking this is a bit different tho. On this application I'm thinking the center outlet is as much for steam relief/air purging  between the center 2 cylinders to a surge tank more than for flow. Thinking of running all to the surge tank(not overflow tank) before radiator.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2013, 04:49:03 PM by fabr »
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline BDKW1

« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2013, 05:11:41 PM »
Getting the flow balanced front to rear will be tricky. Center port only will need it's own style gasket.

Run a gasket with even holes all the way around and -6 in the front.-8 in the rear. Or, -8 in the front with -4 bleeds in the rear and regular street style gaskets. These I know work, have never done a center outlet set-up.

What lives a 1/4 mile at a time will not live long in the dunes. You can fill a drag car block half full of hardblock and not have cooling issues..........

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2013, 11:24:51 PM »
Getting the flow balanced front to rear will be tricky. Center port only will need it's own style gasket.

Run a gasket with even holes all the way around and -6 in the front.-8 in the rear. Or, -8 in the front with -4 bleeds in the rear and regular street style gaskets. These I know work, have never done a center outlet set-up.

What lives a 1/4 mile at a time will not live long in the dunes. You can fill a drag car block half full of hardblock and not have cooling issues..........
Absolutely true. I'm going to try one last time to get an answer from Brodix. IMO,the same hose sizes and routing as an outlaw sprint car uses with these heads is what will work correctly. I have yet to find that info anywhere.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal