Author Topic: When to buy the bender ?  (Read 2654 times)

Snoopy

When to buy the bender ?
« on: August 10, 2013, 01:12:41 AM »
Keeping it short, I've built 3 buggies in the last couple years and have bought most of the tools to fab everything myself. But the roll cage bends I've been paying a local shop to do. Not a huge deal cause its been a long time between builds. But I'm thinking at some point I need to pull the trigger.
How many different dies does the average person have or do you always wish for more - just like every other tool.?.? 
I'm thinking jd2 bender, manual model. I have the JD notcher and its an a awesome product so I figured the bender from them would be great as well.      And do you get at least one die with the 300 bucks for the bender ?  Thanks , snoopy

Offline D Walker

• Lifetime VIP
Re: When to buy the bender ?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2013, 01:57:26 AM »
They are a great bender for the weekend guy. Under $300.00 but it does not come with dies. The size you needs depends on the type of chassiss you build. I would say 1 1/4 and 1 1/2 to start. You will also need a stand.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2013, 06:51:14 AM »
JD2 or Pro-tools.Both are very good benders. Decide on tube size first. Most builds can be done with 1 die if a small buggy. Chose a centerline radius die that is complementary to your build. SMall buggy ,perhaps 1.25 die with 1 4.5 CLR. Bigger buggies perhaps larger tube and bigger CLR's. You have to decide. Dies are $300 or so. It could get pricey fast. I have only 4 different dies.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Dunebound69

• Time flies when drinking rum!
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2013, 08:54:03 AM »
You needed it a couple years ago. I would buy one but DS lets me use his ;D ;D ;D ;D
Time flies when having rum!
Famous last words, Watch this
Government can not give you anything it dose not take from someone else first. When we stop laughing we start dying.
"When you stop doing things for fun you might as well be dead" Hemingway

Offline BDKW1

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2013, 03:57:25 PM »
You needed it a couple years ago.

This ^^^^

And skip the whole galley slave routine and bet one of these. http://www.swagoffroad.com/Tubing-Bender-AirHydraulic-Ram-Mount_p_53.html

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2013, 04:56:46 PM »
Galley slave, LMAO LMAO LMAO LMAO ,never thought of it that way but YA! you nailed it!!!!  rofl rofl rofl rofl That's a nice cylinder mount kit bdkw !! I like the digital angle finder. I was very disappointed when tubebandit stopped producing theirs. I was worried no one was going to step up and offer another. I LOVE my tubebandit for repeatability.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline BDKW1

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2013, 08:49:27 PM »
If they had made that ram set-up back when I converted mine, I would have gone that way. Substantially cheaper than My current set-up.

I developed the galley slave theory after bending a bunch of tube for a fire place heat exchanger. All I needed was a drummer and a Roman with a whip.......

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2013, 10:57:12 PM »
Ya,my hydraulic conversion kit wasn't nearly as nice and cost about the same.Oh well............................... I understand the galley slave theory for the same reasons. I only built 2 cars GS style. I cut the damn extension up and welded it into something usefull .
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline BDKW1

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2013, 10:11:50 AM »
Not to mention that you don't have to have it bolted down. It's so much nicer having it on wheels to get it out of the way when not in use.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal