Author Topic: Long weekend. good and expensive.  (Read 4498 times)

Offline Punkur67

Re: Long weekend. good and expensive.
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2012, 06:06:21 PM »
Sucks you blew the trans. I saw you asking about a trans on GD and was gunna email you to see if your 002 was for sale. My pops needs a fresher one in his car.
Its better to be a smartass than a dumbass!

Offline BDKW1

« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2012, 11:22:56 PM »
Whoa wait, that little tube is the torsion tube? I thought I was looking at an A-arm mount. Way to small of tube and seriously lacking in bracing. There is a LOT of stress in a torsion tube, I've cut out and replaced a few........

Offline Yummi

• Grumpy, Sneezey and Dopey all rolled into one.
  • Administration
    • Jeeping With Dogs
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2012, 04:41:43 AM »
Sucks you blew the trans. I saw you asking about a trans on GD and was gunna email you to see if your 002 was for sale. My pops needs a fresher one in his car.

Well, he will be in luck.  I will be taking it to Bill so it will be as fresh as they come.  Shoot me a PM and we can figure out a price, etc.  I figure I lost some on the value side, but before I sell I will get it all fixed.

BTW - Big Big Thank you to FastCorvairs for the Mendy.  I never kiss and tell, lets just say it was an offer that I could not refuse. 

The best part?  He left a rockin nice car in my garage and he said to take it west.  Looks like I will have a ride for the big thanksgiving weekend after all.   LMAO 

Whoa wait, that little tube is the torsion tube? I thought I was looking at an A-arm mount. Way to small of tube and seriously lacking in bracing. There is a LOT of stress in a torsion tube, I've cut out and replaced a few........

Which little tube are you referring to?  The vertical one with the brace is a "C" and the horizontal one is torsion.  All 1.5."  Not too worried about torsion tube, slight, very slight, bend and it will be replaced / reworked in the summer. 
« Last Edit: November 14, 2012, 04:51:57 AM by Yummi »
I like things that move.   Pretty much limits me to cars and strippers

Did you know I have a blog?  Come on now, it is 2016, everybody does.  http://www.jeepingwithdogs.com

Offline Carlriddle

• Another build? What are you thinking?
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2012, 05:59:48 AM »
How long before the video's out of him pulling you at 25lbs of boost?  ;D Hopfully your top was down?
You can keep your CHANGE, I'd like to keep my DOLLAR.

Offline Yummi

• Administration
    • Jeeping With Dogs
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2012, 06:13:38 AM »
How long before the video's out of him pulling you at 25lbs of boost?  ;D Hopfully your top was down?

Nope - top was up.  Windshield helped.  Not much though.  We generally wear helmets in the car.  We had them off.  Bad call.  Sand everywhere and it sounded like the front windshield was going to break every-time he got on it and it launched a wall of sand backwards. 

Will have to buff the front of the car now. 

Did you know I have a blog?  Come on now, it is 2016, everybody does.  http://www.jeepingwithdogs.com

Offline BDKW1

« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2012, 11:31:47 PM »
1.5" is too small for a torsion tube. 2" .156 wall if you want it to live a good life. Sleeve the existing tubes on the chassis with 1.75" to attach the new torsion tube.

Offline Yummi

• Administration
    • Jeeping With Dogs
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2012, 07:06:49 AM »
New box is being installed.  Found some interesting tid bits.  Axles were too long.  That is why frame cracked.  Despite needing new axles, the ones that were there @ 27.5 would have worked.  Well, they are mushroomed, etc so new 27.5" have been ordered from AZ Transaxle.

To put in new box, had to raise whole shebang of motor and tranny a few inches.  That requires some surgery on cross members.  Also requires relocation of fuel pump.   

Should be in and done by middle of next week.   Will have pictures of this and a few other upgrades that are going on when it gets out of the buggy hospital. 

Only money right?   Car will be sorted soon enough.  Then I can cruise for chicks.    LMAO

Offline Yummi

• Administration
    • Jeeping With Dogs
« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2012, 06:07:58 PM »
Oh and those gussets are the reason the tube cracked. Cut them out and it will live a little longer. The real problem is you lacking triangulation somewhere in the structure allowing the tube to flex a lot........

Nope, not the issue. 

Car should be ready to go tomorrow.  Long process.  In the course of swapping tranny it was discovered that the axles were too long for 002.  They needed 27 1/2" for the new narrower tranny and come to find out they had 27 1/2" on the old wide one.  Course because they were too long they were mushroomed, etc.  New axles.  The car on hard impacts would "splay" too wide.  The reason it was cracked on the right and not the left is that the tranny / motor was not 100% centered. 

Both of those issues have been resolved.  Will still be reworking torsion tube area in summer and possibly address any triangulation, etc at that time. 

To install tranny it required that motor and tranny be raised. That resulted in cross members being cut to allow for height and engine cage being cut in a likewise fashion.  New motor mounts, etc.  Because some area was lost under the rear deck lid of the body, power steering pump has been relocated.  Because tranny went taller, fuel pump has been relocated. 

Good thing I bought this car with the full expectation of getting it sorted out.  Will have pictures later. 

We are one step closer to having it sorted. 

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2012, 06:19:24 PM »
Nope, not the issue. 

Car should be ready to go tomorrow.  Long process.  In the course of swapping tranny it was discovered that the axles were too long for 002.  They needed 27 1/2" for the new narrower tranny and come to find out they had 27 1/2" on the old wide one.  Course because they were too long they were mushroomed, etc.  New axles.  The car on hard impacts would "splay" too wide.  The reason it was cracked on the right and not the left is that the tranny / motor was not 100% centered. 

Both of those issues have been resolved.  Will still be reworking torsion tube area in summer and possibly address any triangulation, etc at that time. 

To install tranny it required that motor and tranny be raised. That resulted in cross members being cut to allow for height and engine cage being cut in a likewise fashion.  New motor mounts, etc.  Because some area was lost under the rear deck lid of the body, power steering pump has been relocated.  Because tranny went taller, fuel pump has been relocated. 

Good thing I bought this car with the full expectation of getting it sorted out.  Will have pictures later. 

We are one step closer to having it sorted. 
You'll be one cool dude when it's all sorted out. How you like duning with near zero forward visibiliity after a car with near unlimited forward vis? LOL!!! My car now is horrible forward vis. New car will have different body/sight lines to improve on that issue  for sure.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Yummi

• Administration
    • Jeeping With Dogs
« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2012, 06:27:48 PM »
You'll be one cool dude when it's all sorted out. How you like duning with near zero forward visibiliity after a car with near unlimited forward vis? LOL!!! My car now is horrible forward vis. New car will have different body/sight lines to improve on that issue  for sure.

Sucks balls.  Really sucks balls.  Steep learning curve.  I have no idea where the lip is.  The forward is not the only issue.  The up via visor area is reduced in a bowl, the side, the rear.  The whole world got a whole lot smaller with the new car.  Have been caught out once.  Guess it was time to roll to the right?   rofl

It can be done, but it is freaky and very uncomfortable in the meantime.  Should have the spook removed in a few more trips.  Also really have to learn to trust the car.  In the mean time I look cool as all get out.   ;D

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2012, 06:50:10 PM »
Ya,when I was there following the guys with excellent forward vis it was spooky and is even at LS. Hell,that's what caused the pile up this last summer @ LS . I DID NOT SEE the drop off. I THOUGHT I was following exactly where Fast was but....................... Noooooo. I Never saw the drop. All I saw was effing sky along the horizon and then sand and then ,THUD. Darted. I never gave forward vis a thought when building it since alll I really want to do is wide open hardpack stuff and forward is not nearly as big a deal. If I ever build a sand car only I guarantee you it will be like so many others. Open floors and nearly no body work to obstruct the view.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Yummi

• Administration
    • Jeeping With Dogs
« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2012, 02:51:54 PM »
Currently waiting on some new seats ordered from TripleXXX / Herbie. Really tough getting seats for this given the space constraints. Hope to have them in for the next trip after new years / February. For the time being I also swapped out the old three points and put in five points. With the current Beard Super seats they have no choice but to be over the shoulder seat area. Held onto the Y belts just in case it is an issue over this coming trip.

Also had some additional bars put into the cage area. So right now we are just at seats pending and some new lights......

Oh yea, this adventure also required new starter. Big thanks to AZ Transaxle for the deal on the 300m axles and having everything that was needed in stock.

Bigger project coming in summer to include re-install rack for spare at cage area, etc etc etc in summer.

Really like they way it turned out. Mendi looks so much better sitting there than does the 002. Pics as promised.  Heck, even looks good sitting on the new to me trailer.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2012, 02:57:00 PM »
Nice,very nice!
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline fastcorvairs

• Lifetime VIP
  • If it is worth doing!!!!!! Do it in the sand
« Reply #28 on: December 23, 2012, 10:20:14 AM »
Very nice Yummi.  Starting to come togather now.  I think you will like the gearing too.  I like being able to do more in first and second.   In your case you will have to feather the clutch more on start up but not that much. 

If I believe I cannot do something it makes me incapable of doing it. But when I believe that I can, then I acquire the ability to do it , even if I didn't have it at the beginning.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal