Author Topic: Chinese buggys  (Read 19287 times)

Offline Baloo

Re: Chinese buggys
« Reply #45 on: June 06, 2012, 01:28:50 PM »
The rear axles ,is there a slip joint in them?
Let me know when RS gets the anti gravity mounts back in stock. I need one or 2.

hi

no slip joint in the drive shafts, just normal cv's each end, the is a diameter change as they are cut and shut with a sleeve over them, inner end is nissan micra and the outer end is kinroad buggy, not what l consider a good idea so l might make some new hubs so l can run standard nissan drive shafts
l will drop a wheel off tomorrow and get some pics of the suspension set up

Andy

Offline Baloo

« Reply #46 on: June 06, 2012, 01:32:09 PM »
Baloo your having way to much fun with that anti gravity mount.  You may have to work on finding a wider trail so it don't get so tangled up in the bush.  Glad to see your five points on this time.  I liken you getting into that buggy to me trying to stuff my self into a sardine can.   rofl

wider trail lol this is the uk every thing is tiny here,  not the most elegant with my moves am l ?
buggy is a bit tight but making it bigger moves it away from a mini buggy, might make the next one a few inches wider and few inches longer soon be a full blown sand rail lol

Offline Baloo

« Reply #47 on: June 06, 2012, 01:48:59 PM »
my plan is to build a copy of this chinese copy  :o but with a slightly wider rear so l can get  the 1300 engine in
the 1000cc engine and box are about 28" wide while the 1300 is 32" or so wide, there is about 1" clearence at each between engine/box and frame, l need a little more so was pondering moving the suspension pick up points like below

as is

moving the top wishbone mounting rail outward 2" each end but angling the pickup brackets back in so as the arms pivot from the same point should buy me enough space to drop the bigger engine in ??

if l can find a way to get the 1300 engine it it opens up the door to future upgrades as there is a 1500 1600 1800 and 2000cc gti engine with around 175 bhp from nissan available cheaply

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #48 on: June 06, 2012, 02:22:49 PM »
hi

no slip joint in the drive shafts, just normal cv's each end, the is a diameter change as they are cut and shut with a sleeve over them, inner end is nissan micra and the outer end is kinroad buggy, not what l consider a good idea so l might make some new hubs so l can run standard nissan drive shafts
l will drop a wheel off tomorrow and get some pics of the suspension set up

Andy
WHat kind of "normal" cv's are we talking about?
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Baloo

« Reply #49 on: June 06, 2012, 02:51:49 PM »
normal regular standard type that come on a factory nissan, l have one in bits in the workshop to see what makes it tick

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #50 on: June 06, 2012, 02:56:32 PM »
I don't know what that is.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Baloo

« Reply #51 on: June 06, 2012, 03:06:37 PM »
l will take some pics for you

Offline Carlriddle

• Another build? What are you thinking?
« Reply #52 on: June 06, 2012, 03:43:12 PM »
Standard plunging cv's I'd guess. The axle is twice as long as a-arms and thus huge plunge numbers. Prob why travel is low cause at plunge limit.

You come up with some of the coolest stuff. I spent all day on computer and only bought a rad fan and seatbelt.
You can keep your CHANGE, I'd like to keep my DOLLAR.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #53 on: June 06, 2012, 07:50:39 PM »
I was thinking possibly tripod style cv.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Baloo

« Reply #54 on: June 07, 2012, 09:36:52 AM »
its 4.30 in the afternoon and its hissing down with rain here, has been all day well the last week really
so l am having an early finish today so l can tinker with my buggy in the workshop

here's some pics and measurements

tripod sounds like it would describe what l am looking at with the cv's  ??
this is an old nissan driveshaft l pulled apart so as l could use the cup in my gearbox to stop the auto trans fluid making a break for freedom across my workshop floor

taking another driveshaft  l clamped the the inboard cv end to the bench and pushed the shaft fully home, put a mark on the bench and then pulled the shaft out and put another mark on the bench, distance between marks is 55mm  or 2.25 inches for the oldies  :laugh:  so is that what we are calling plunge then ?

Offline Baloo

« Reply #55 on: June 07, 2012, 09:41:17 AM »
here's the rear suspension with the wheel off, top A arm looked a bit odd to me at first but have become used to it now

l guess its shaped that way to leave clear passage for the shock/spring to run straight down to the lower arm

Offline Baloo

« Reply #56 on: June 07, 2012, 09:46:33 AM »
when looking at the suspension arms its clear that the top arm is a lot shorter than the bottom, l thought about this for a while an came to the conclusion that one reason to do this might be to tip the top of the hub in as it cycles up and try to reduce the change in the length of the driveshaft ???

Offline Baloo

« Reply #57 on: June 07, 2012, 09:55:29 AM »
nice little hub with teeny weeny rotors and calipers looked to small to be much use to me but l can lock all 4 wheels on tarmac with out any trouble so l guess they are man enough

the hub is a cast iron unit that looks sturdy enough to me, the one on the left below

but by an amazing coincidence you can take an ally hub of an artic cat and bolt it straight on if you want to lessen your unsprung weight

must just be a coincidence right  :o

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #58 on: June 07, 2012, 10:01:41 AM »
Yes,that's a tripod cv. They have a lot more plunge and a lot less misalignment possible than the type we generally use to get long travel in the rear suspension. IIRC the tripods are good only to about 17* and 930 style are capable of up to 28*(25* safely).The 930 style only plunge about 1/4". BTW,did you possibly leave ANY vegetation in the field? ;D ;D
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #59 on: June 07, 2012, 10:04:05 AM »
HTH do you find all the "alternative" parts you find?I mean,I could look around foe days and not find an AC part would be a direct replacement AND lighter to boot!
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal