Author Topic: Cooling system upgrades  (Read 14811 times)

Offline Enemy

• F*CK NA i lOvE BooST
Re: Cooling system upgrades
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2012, 02:33:35 PM »
Have you not had any fan troubles. When we were at LS I had almost all the fins break off the hubs. Same unit you have exactly.After I got back from Yuma I had 3 fins broken off just like last time at LS. They made the fans good last time as a one time warranty/PR. They replaced these also but I'm worried about sticking one of the fins  into the rad core as they break free.

Well, good thing I have a spare.. One of the fans let 3 fins go after jumping a sandbar on the river this weekend. That was a disturbing sound to hear, thought my valvetrain had something let go! Thankfully nothing went through the rad core..Back to the drawing board I guess, don't think they will warranty mine  thumb down

I think they need to run a ring around the entire outer circumference of the blade assembly, I have seen that on other manufacturers fans, maybe it would cure this problem. Thoughts?
"If the hate of men could be turned into electricity, it would light up the whole world."   ~Nikola Tesla

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2012, 06:27:55 PM »
I've got extra fan blades,about 8 of them! LOL!!  Yes,the fix is simple. A ring around the OD. Effers know there is a prolem and don't give a shit. I've thought about adding a ring  Wouldn't need to be to much of one either. Thinking of even a thich/wide rubber band might do the trick. IMO,it's from blade vibration. Does your fan run smooth? Mine don't.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Carlriddle

• Another build? What are you thinking?
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2012, 05:56:02 AM »
Agree on the ring, but another thing I was studing.  Rad/fan standing more vertical as opposed to the the 45* angle would put less stress on blades from rough terrain?  Maybe?  Are they leaving a ring on Rad fins from flexing before the break?  And seems to be a couple different "plastics" used.  Guess I should pick up a spare fan.
You can keep your CHANGE, I'd like to keep my DOLLAR.

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2012, 06:06:55 AM »
THe angle isn't the issue IMO. It's the vibrating,unsupported blades. Mine will only last a few days before beginning to shed blades.I'm on  like my 8th fan so far.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Enemy

• F*CK NA i lOvE BooST
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2012, 07:28:19 AM »
THe angle isn't the issue IMO. It's the vibrating,unsupported blades. Mine will only last a few days before beginning to shed blades.I'm on  like my 8th fan so far.

SERIOUSLY!!?? Damn, I better get a couple more!

The two that were on it did not have any noticable vibration, but I do have a prop balancer Im gunna try and set the spares up in and see how far off they are out of the box.
The blades have never touched the rad fins so I dont think its a contact issue or mounting angle either.
"If the hate of men could be turned into electricity, it would light up the whole world."   ~Nikola Tesla

Offline Carlriddle

« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2012, 08:04:29 AM »
8th set,  :o bs1 :o  Going to check mine, cant remember if it has a ring.  How about the resonating sound frequency from bike engine?  Cant remember reading about car engines having issues.

8th set!!  Damn Fabr, cant believe I've not heard you cussing from my front porch.

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2012, 09:50:11 AM »
SERIOUSLY!!?? Damn, I better get a couple more!

The two that were on it did not have any noticable vibration, but I do have a prop balancer Im gunna try and set the spares up in and see how far off they are out of the box.
The blades have never touched the rad fins so I dont think its a contact issue or mounting angle either.
My first set were hitting the motor supports. Flexalite suggested clipping the blade corners to prevent contact. That stopped contact but fins still broke off. Last fans I left alone and they still shed fins. Seriously,I have 8 bad fans. I have a box full of replacements. Jegs actually now stocks the replacement fans.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Enemy

• F*CK NA i lOvE BooST
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2013, 10:00:23 PM »
Got a few more things addressed on the cooling system. The spring trip to LS was still seeing the temps slowly creep up to *220+ after long runs so I slid some cardboard on the sides of the radiator/intercooler in hopes that it will get more air to the radiator. It worked, kinda. It took longer for the temps to creep up now, so that's progress I suppose. Fabr brought up a very good point that the intercooler is most likely not letting much air to the core begin with and should be cut down since its total overkill anyway  :)
Agreed! And for a bonus, it shaved about 10 pounds off the rear. The tanks on this thing are built for a TANK!

Hopefully that will do the trick, there is a very noticeable difference on how much more air the fans are moving and the fans seem to be cycling very little sitting still and don't run at all going down the road. Will have to see what story OK will tell.

Offline Enemy

• F*CK NA i lOvE BooST
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2013, 10:14:59 PM »
Got the engine cover done. No more screaming Busa valvetrain making my ears bleed by the end of the day! Layered the underside with some Hushmat and hydroturf to deaden the noise a bit more. Had some of that goofy Cobweb stuff left over and sillystringged it on top of the black then a semigloss clearcoat. Possibly a touch quieter than the Busa with the tank and insulation from the factory!    HAPPY EARS!!

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2013, 10:45:14 PM »
Luv the IC mod! I hate you for the quiet engine . I'm SOOOOOOOO jealous.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Enemy

• F*CK NA i lOvE BooST
« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2013, 08:15:06 AM »
 rofl Thanks Fabr! Hate you too! ;D

With all the airflow stuff you study, what are your thoughts on the boost curve ramping in to peak a bit faster? I mean since the turbo is no longer pressurizing a massive void of an IC first.. I thought I read somewhere that too large an IC can cause some lag in itself.. 

Offline Carlriddle

« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2013, 09:08:39 AM »
Looking good, as I would expect no less.  A little padded room for the busa to play in.   ;D  Let the kids out with silly string again.  rofl

I've read that too about IC size too big causeing lag with a small turbo.  You may have a small increase in intake temps, but increase spool time.  But you not pushing real high boost ##'s so shouldn't make much diff.  And all that doesn't matter much if your sittin with me waiting for motor to cool back down.  But it could cut into cold beverage time.  thumb down

Offline Enemy

• F*CK NA i lOvE BooST
« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2013, 09:39:48 AM »
Thanks Carl! Beverage time is critical, must find that fine balance point! ;D

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2013, 01:42:24 PM »
rofl Thanks Fabr! Hate you too! ;D

With all the airflow stuff you study, what are your thoughts on the boost curve ramping in to peak a bit faster? I mean since the turbo is no longer pressurizing a massive void of an IC first.. I thought I read somewhere that too large an IC can cause some lag in itself..
Certainly the entire intake tract is a factor in boost build time and is in turn a factor in the lag that we feel ,or not.On my car with the same IC modded almost exactly as you have now done I feel no boost lag at all. It is a seamless progression from off/on/off boost.An IC should really be only as large as necessary to keep IC temps where you want them. Any larger is a waste of spool time for our purposes. Drag cars live by different rules.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Dunebound69

• Time flies when drinking rum!
« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2013, 03:09:49 PM »
I use one fan. http://speedwaymotors.com/Flex-a-lite-Model-155-Electric-Cooling-Fan,1807.html It flows 2800 cfm. Never lost a blade in over 8 years. With this thing you all you need is lots of power! Sounds like a jet is behind you in the car.

It is louder than my motor at idle.
Time flies when having rum!
Famous last words, Watch this
Government can not give you anything it dose not take from someone else first. When we stop laughing we start dying.
"When you stop doing things for fun you might as well be dead" Hemingway

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal