Author Topic: Cooling system upgrades  (Read 14678 times)

Offline Enemy

• F*CK NA i lOvE BooST
Cooling system upgrades
« on: February 29, 2012, 02:40:34 PM »
Finally got some time to get this just about wrapped up, now just gotta go test it and see if it will even work!  ;D

Old radiator was behind the seats and not receiving enough clean air when temps got into the 80's outside and trying to run it hard. I pulled it out of the way and built a firewall with a B&M oil cooler plumbed to the backside. Base/clear the backside black, and lined the inside with HydroTurf to clean it up and add some sound deadening.

I have found just about as many uses for this stuff as ductape and zip-ties! Their site is a major pain in the ass, but always to my door in a couple days. Check it out http://hydroturf.com/add_to_cart.php?cat=Sheets%20of%20Hydro-Turf&num=SHT47CD

Down the road I might try to incorporate some kinda engine cover/air shroud above the firewall and valvecover

"If the hate of men could be turned into electricity, it would light up the whole world."   ~Nikola Tesla

Offline Enemy

• F*CK NA i lOvE BooST
Re: Cooling system upgrades
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2012, 03:08:08 PM »
New radiator design. Sent the pic to SRS, a few emails finalizing the dimensions, and got a very nice unit exactly how I wanted it. They are a few more bucks than others out there, but I believe the quality is top notch. http://streetrodstuff.com/Products/99/

Building up a lower support

More Hydroturf! Vibration dampening and a very nice snug fit

Upper support..

All mocked up. Going to build some small shrouds for the sides and bottom to funnel all the air through the innercooler. Then gunna go abuse the shit outa it! Haven't decided on either polish the supports up or prime and paint them semi-gloss black.. Not sure on that one yet  ???

"If the hate of men could be turned into electricity, it would light up the whole world."   ~Nikola Tesla

Offline fastcorvairs

• Lifetime VIP
  • If it is worth doing!!!!!! Do it in the sand
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2012, 03:50:31 PM »
Looking good Enemy.  Get it ready for St Anthony.  We'll put it to the test for sure. 

If I believe I cannot do something it makes me incapable of doing it. But when I believe that I can, then I acquire the ability to do it , even if I didn't have it at the beginning.

Offline Enemy

• F*CK NA i lOvE BooST
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2012, 04:20:31 PM »
Thanks Fast! Im gunna do my damnedest to make that trip! 

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2012, 08:18:53 PM »
Have you not had any fan troubles. When we were at LS I had almost all the fins break off the hubs. Same unit you have exactly.After I got back from Yuma I had 3 fins broken off just like last time at LS. They made the fans good last time as a one time warranty/PR. They replaced these also but I'm worried about sticking one of the fins  into the rad core as they break free.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline sandycrack

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2012, 06:41:51 AM »
Nice fab work there!  Ever thought about getting 1 Spal fan and making a shroud for it?  About 130.00 for a 14" swept blade.  IMO it will move everybit as much air as those 2 fans.

I am curious about the ability for that mat to not breakdown under the radiator.  I am looking for something for mine that is thin, but will take the abrasive sand and vibration and not break down.  I have been considering leather.  Any thoughts on this?
« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 06:47:03 AM by sandycrack »
You smell that?

Offline Enemy

• F*CK NA i lOvE BooST
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2012, 08:46:01 AM »
Have you not had any fan troubles. When we were at LS I had almost all the fins break off the hubs. Same unit you have exactly.After I got back from Yuma I had 3 fins broken off just like last time at LS. They made the fans good last time as a one time warranty/PR. They replaced these also but I'm worried about sticking one of the fins  into the rad core as they break free.

I lost two fins on a fan with my very first setup a four years back, but dug a corn stalk out of the shroud after it happened. Figured it was the culprit along with the heat soak from the turbo being inches away from it. I have had a spare fan on hand ever since and fortunately have never had to use it.

Nice fab work there!  Ever thought about getting 1 Spal fan and making a shroud for it?  About 130.00 for a 14" swept blade.  IMO it will move everybit as much air as those 2 fans.

I am curious about the ability for that mat to not breakdown under the radiator.  I am looking for something for mine that is thin, but will take the abrasive sand and vibration and not break down.  I have been considering leather.  Any thoughts on this?

Thanks SandyC!
I thought about switching to a single unit, but now that I am going to get some air to the radiator I figured I will see how the sirocco style works out. It is a mighty little setup flow wise. Just hoping I don't have Fabrs luck with fins letting go!

I have been using Hydroturf for about 10 years starting with the floor boards in my jet-skiing and boating days, and currently have it covering the floor in the rail for over a year with no deterioration. Also park the car on small mats when its inside the trailer..Thinking about covering the ramp door on the trailer for traction mat. (a start to my padded room?  rofl)
It will take major abuse!

Offline sandycrack

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2012, 11:38:14 AM »
Good to know.  I may order some so I can see what uses I may find for it.  Thanks for the info.
You smell that?

Offline komelika

• Never stop learning!
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2012, 12:31:10 PM »
Looks great! Personally, I would polish it or go with matching yellow. I think the black would be too contrasting to the aluminum and yellow.
If you remain calm while everything around you is complete chaos... then you probably haven't fully understood the situation!

http://sandjunky710.blogspot.com/

Offline sandycrack

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2012, 12:59:39 PM »
Polished would look bitchin!
You smell that?

Offline Enemy

• F*CK NA i lOvE BooST
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2012, 08:12:22 PM »
Looks great! Personally, I would polish it or go with matching yellow. I think the black would be too contrasting to the aluminum and yellow.
Thanks Komelika!
Hmmm..Now that you help put it all into better perspective, I am starting to lean to the yellow..All the brackets... intercooler as well ya think ??? Throw ideas out there guys! I feed off this stuff!

If I polish them Im thinking about 10 more hours of metal working to get them so they will look worth a shit all blinged out!   thumb down
« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 09:58:53 PM by Enemy »

Offline Carlriddle

• Another build? What are you thinking?
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2012, 05:29:33 AM »
I dont like the rad's up behind the noggin cause the eyes in the back of my head cant see.   But you had to move it, and not sure where else you coulda gone except front of buggy.  As with the rest it looks top notch!!  ;) 

As for color, one other idea; for a matt alum finish similar to gas tank blast them with baking soda or super fine sand.  Polished stuff looks great for a while, unless clear coated.  Paint, well thats almost too easy for you, but I like the yellow over black.
You can keep your CHANGE, I'd like to keep my DOLLAR.

Offline komelika

• Never stop learning!
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2012, 09:38:15 AM »
Judging by everything I've seen, anything you do is going to look top shelf. I think it looks good even with the raw aluminum, but you obviously have the skills to turn good into great. Looking forward to seeing the final result! 

If you remain calm while everything around you is complete chaos... then you probably haven't fully understood the situation!

http://sandjunky710.blogspot.com/

Offline Enemy

• F*CK NA i lOvE BooST
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2012, 10:11:17 PM »
Thanks guys!

Carl - Always curious what soda did/looked like to aluminum. Im not a fan of it in the industry stripping cars for resto. Pain in the ass washing panels down with vinegar to prep for repair! Damn stuff creates a mess! 

Offline Enemy

• F*CK NA i lOvE BooST
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2012, 08:14:36 PM »
Update- Cooling system is working really well. Engine goes to 195* and sits on the thermostat know matter how hard I push it. fans only cycle at low speeds as well. Think I got er licked! WOOHOO!

Oil cooler can also be used as interior heater if you eff up and wire it backward! The woman thought it needs to stay that way for night time, just might have to put it on a three way switch to keep her from shivering at the bottom of hills at night around here... First ride out I was thinking the little cooler was radiating so much heat I needed to move it somewhere else! ....stupid brain.  rofl rofl

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal