Author Topic: JD Squared bender  (Read 13914 times)

Offline vidio1

• Fabricator
Re: JD Squared bender
« Reply #30 on: June 20, 2011, 06:42:34 PM »
I would agree with that, especially the way that clamp works. It is basically a giant muffler clamp pressing in a narrow area.

I've thought about a conversion for mine. I've seen a few different designs, but really haven't seen anything I thought would work well. One idea I had was to replace the end cap of a tie rod type cylinder with a fabricated one that had a trunnion mount. I've even thought about welding a mount on a factory cap and then cleaning up the O ring and seal fits to try it.

Offline Hammerworks

• Fabricator
« Reply #31 on: June 20, 2011, 08:28:10 PM »
Theres plenty of guys on OFN using the single clamp-on-tube style,I havnt seen anyone mention the tube failing.

Offline Boostinjdm

« Reply #32 on: June 20, 2011, 11:58:29 PM »
We had that all figured out a while back.Just discussing how much slot is needed.

It's going to need a light spring too.  If the angle reading is taken off the die.  Then to get an accurate reading the die needs to stay in contact with the tube when the pressure is released.  Insert light spring here....
This post has been edited due to content.

LiveWire

« Reply #33 on: June 21, 2011, 07:34:45 AM »
I had a conversion that used a trailer jack and an electric drill motor. That was before I got my Ercolina.

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: June 21, 2011, 07:47:30 AM »
How does the ercolina allow you to see/compensate springback? You just back it off don't you,measure angle and try again?
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

LiveWire

« Reply #35 on: June 21, 2011, 12:48:24 PM »
It has a separate dial for spring back. All it really is doing is adding that to the total bend so the angle entered matches your print. What is nice though is that as soon as I let off the bend pedal, the die free wheels so the spring back will cause it to back up. It would be nice if the readout displayed how much it backs up, but it does not. There is a small amount of resistance in retracting the die, so it stays tight to the tube until I press retract. With the pedal pushed or not, I can crank up the angle. So when it backs up, I can see it did not bend far enough, dial the bend up and press bend again. If I press retract, I have to retract all the way before bending again. I have not spent much time at all trying to figure out how to get a one off bend in one or two tries. Most everything I do, I am doing 20 or so tubes. What the Ercolina does real nice is give me 20 identical tubes once I have dialed in the first good one. The bummer is that it takes 2 or 3 tubes before that. If I need a 90, I guess at the spring back I need. I error low and get 86. So I add 4 degrees. Then I get 88. If I keep twekaing it up until I get 90 then throw in a fresh tube, it will be over bent. Chances are if I start with a fresh tube with the first adjustment, I would have got 90, but sometimes not. There is a third dial that sets the percentage of the bend bent at high speed. Slowing down at the end of the bend will reduce or get rid of a hump. It is 2hp so high speed is moving pretty good.

It is $4000 for the attachment to repeat multiple bends in multiple planes.

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: June 21, 2011, 01:33:54 PM »
That's what I thought.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #37 on: July 13, 2011, 04:09:56 PM »
I converted mine with this kit. much cheaper than buying a full hydraulic bender and works great.

http://copperheadfab.com/index.php?action=productview&productid=164
WHile I have little doubt the thing will work the "quality " is a bit lacking to be polite. Here's what I got.11
« Last Edit: July 13, 2011, 05:59:27 PM by masterfabr »
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Carlriddle

• Another build? What are you thinking?
« Reply #38 on: July 13, 2011, 04:56:54 PM »
Looks like torch cut, or atleast mine.  So this converts it to hydrolic?
You can keep your CHANGE, I'd like to keep my DOLLAR.

Offline Lance-W

« Reply #39 on: July 13, 2011, 05:09:50 PM »
What crap.  I especially like where they made the attempt  eyes to deburr it and still did a shitty job.  Hope it wasn't too expensive.

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #40 on: July 13, 2011, 06:30:19 PM »
No, it was cheap but even then one would thoink there would be more pride in a mans work than that. I think it was done by hand around a template. It will work but it needs a good detailing before it goes on my bender.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Punkur67

« Reply #41 on: September 22, 2011, 07:17:13 PM »
They are cheap for shure. If they hires a water jet to do their brackets it would save you some clean up time. Sorry forgot about that part Master   :( . Did you get your bender with the ram together?
Its better to be a smartass than a dumbass!

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #42 on: September 22, 2011, 08:03:37 PM »
They are cheap for shure. If they hires a water jet to do their brackets it would save you some clean up time. Sorry forgot about that part Master   :( . Did you get your bender with the ram together?
I haven't mounted it . Not because of the poor quality but no time. Been working like a dog for a long time now. Oh well,it's how I can afford this stuff. I do need to get it mounted soon tho as I have some handrail to bend for a community center. If I can find the time I think I'll draw/copy the setup up in CAD and have it done WJ and of thicker plate. I can't really bitch about the setup for the price,I'm pretty sure it does the job , but I think I want to copy my own a bit better. Wouldn't like seeing that stuff each time I bent something. Make me want to run the other way.  ;D ;D
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #43 on: September 22, 2011, 08:04:40 PM »
Oh,BTW,thanks for the link to it. REALLY. I like the concept better than others .
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Punkur67

« Reply #44 on: September 22, 2011, 11:37:48 PM »
I spent about an hour with the flapper wheel and drill press making it all look decent. I have had no deflection issues, so I dont see a need to go thicker. I have bent 1-1/2" .120 chromoly and it worked fine. If you have yours re-cut trim some of the back arch off. Some of my pieces would hit it while bending. I just smoothed out the radius as needed for the pieces. Still a GREAT concept though. Just needs a beter fabricator making the kits.
Its better to be a smartass than a dumbass!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal