Author Topic: Pulse or tak tak welding. Link to MBN  (Read 14946 times)

Offline fabr

• Administrator
Re: Pulse or tak tak welding. Link to MBN
« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2011, 04:16:47 PM »
I don't even own a MIG. I stick everything steel with a 40 year old crackerbox Sears AC welder and 1/16" 6013 for anything 16 ga. and under. For 14 ga.-11ga. I use 5/64" 6013.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Carlriddle

• Another build? What are you thinking?
« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2011, 07:46:38 AM »
Master, you tacked your frame with stick then tiged it.  Or stick the whole thing? 

My first welder, a cheap POS chinese flux, welded some side rails on a trailer with.  Looked like a flock of birds flew over and took a crap on my work.  12 coats of paint looked ok  bs1 rofl bs1 til rachet strap pull the sides off.  rofl  Redid whole thing with my current welder.  I now trust my head with my welds. 
You can keep your CHANGE, I'd like to keep my DOLLAR.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2011, 08:15:49 AM »
NO,I tack with TIG and then fully weld TIG. I refuse to stick tack 4130. MIG would be a LOT simpler for tacking tho.  I only stick mild steel thin wall tube and thinner sheet. IF I had a MIG I'd still likely use the stick just for general welding. BUT,for the cost of a MIG I can stick a lot of stuff together,IMO better also, with the stick and the only drawback is the slag removal. FWIW,I will never use MIG for final welding of anything my ass rides in. Again,just my opinion but, TIG is the ONLY way to go ,for me,since I build my frames from 4130.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Engineer

• Inquisitor
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: January 05, 2011, 08:16:50 AM »
I don't even own a MIG. I stick everything steel with a 40 year old crackerbox Sears AC welder and 1/16" 6013 for anything 16 ga. and under. For 14 ga.-11ga. I use 5/64" 6013.

The hell?

Your stick welding everything?  You beat on your buggy with a slag hammer?

Just kidding!  mm: mm: mm:   I just didn't know.  It looks very good!  It is just as strong as other methods, most just don't do it quite so nicely.  rofl

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: January 05, 2011, 08:19:14 AM »
LOL!! I SHOULD have said that I stick all of my mild steel stuff. LOL!!! NOT my frames.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Engineer

• Inquisitor
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: January 05, 2011, 08:34:16 AM »
Ok,  I was posting while you were clarifying.  rofl

I actually like tacking with tig.  There is usually a spot you can tack without filler if your holding something.  But it's much handier if the parts are clamped.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: January 05, 2011, 09:26:25 AM »
Same here.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Grimm Reaper Racing

• Forum Sponsor
« Reply #37 on: January 05, 2011, 07:49:40 PM »
When I stick weld, the metal is CLEAN, and I use 7018 most of the time.  Needle gun post weld, and it doesn't get any stronger, or neater. IMO

If I have to wire weld, I prefer to use MIG/MAG/Flux cored - dual sheild.  Using short circuit or spray transfer.  Hot as a mother fooker, yet it is super strong like stick, and it slages like stick too.  Which is why you drag it too.  The slag keeps the heat in the weld so that it doesn't cool too fast.  I little needle gunning right after to de-stress the weld and to get rid of the slag, and viola, you have one strong weld as it is an 80 series wire, so 80 kip tensile strength.  Not to mention, it looks like smeared butter, and oh so smooth, instead of that stacked dime crap.

I prefer TIG, to all of them though.  As you have the most control.  But sometimes I get the 70S6 hard wire MIG/MAG out and weld up lawn mower b.s. and small stuff that doesn't require very much strength, because it's quick, easy, and cheap.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2011, 07:51:32 PM by Grimm Reaper Racing »
See you all duneside.😎🤙

Offline Engineer

• Inquisitor
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #38 on: January 05, 2011, 10:43:18 PM »
When I stick weld, the metal is CLEAN, and I use 7018 most of the time.  Needle gun post weld, and it doesn't get any stronger, or neater. IMO

If I have to wire weld, I prefer to use MIG/MAG/Flux cored - dual sheild.  Using short circuit or spray transfer.  Hot as a mother fooker, yet it is super strong like stick, and it slages like stick too.  Which is why you drag it too.  The slag keeps the heat in the weld so that it doesn't cool too fast.  I little needle gunning right after to de-stress the weld and to get rid of the slag, and viola, you have one strong weld as it is an 80 series wire, so 80 kip tensile strength.  Not to mention, it looks like smeared butter, and oh so smooth, instead of that stacked dime crap.

I prefer TIG, to all of them though.  As you have the most control.  But sometimes I get the 70S6 hard wire MIG/MAG out and weld up lawn mower b.s. and small stuff that doesn't require very much strength, because it's quick, easy, and cheap.

gg:
 ff:

Offline Grimm Reaper Racing

• Forum Sponsor
« Reply #39 on: January 05, 2011, 10:56:06 PM »
Don't get me wrong, it looks cool as hell, but I couldn't pass a D11 weld test with it.  The only way was to smooth weld.  Stacking dimes, with MIG or MAG generally means having to reheat a small portion of the weld that has been given a short amount to time to solidify.  The flux that's present on the top of the weld puddle is then pushed back into the weld.  Hence porosity in the weld.  Hence, I failed the test the first two times I took it.  I then took a welding course at a nearby community college, and was then taught the correct way to weld... smooth.  Then I passed with less that 1% porosity. ;)
See you all duneside.😎🤙

Snoopy

« Reply #40 on: March 23, 2011, 06:53:02 AM »
Ok, so I mig everything at home and use gas. I stick at work but
Thin material at work is 1/4 inch. So does this mean my gas - mig welded
Buggy is unsafe in your opinions ? And if so, what about the other 90 percent of us that gas mig our buggies ?

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
  • Wishin I was there. "Glamis"
« Reply #41 on: March 23, 2011, 07:11:53 AM »
Gas mig welding is very good if done right. Done wrong no welding is.

You need to tell more of the methoed you gas mig. Migging alone is not tak tak. Good migging is constant. As long as the duty cycle of your welder is good for or will allow till the joints finished. There are times where you weld 1/4 to 1/3 of the way around a tube then reposition. But thats not tak tak tak tak.....   

« Last Edit: March 23, 2011, 07:13:35 AM by Nutz4sand »
Your mission isn't to dive feet first into hell, but to make sure its crowded when you get there.

Snoopy

« Reply #42 on: March 23, 2011, 09:21:20 PM »
sorry in advance for the sound of frustration.  I don't do the tack tack tack.   skuWHEEZE that sombitch and let'er eat.        you need heat, not too much, not too little either, you guys know the drill, so do I.    it just got me fired up cause it sounded like you were sayin mig isn't good enough for you guys.

I'm building an under 600 pound with liquids, mini. and using a 220 lincoln 175 pro mig. with a 75 / 25 gas mix.    I  have 3 years of woods ABUSE on the current buggy we beat on. and the only metal that broke was when we ripped the a-arm mounts out of the tube they were welded to. but the welds held, the tube is what gave.
we re-welded and that was two years ago.

all I'm ranting about here is, fabr is someone I respect from a builders perspective. despite what crap I'll hear for this, I think he know's what he's talking about and how to do this stuff and do it well. when he said he he would never final weld with mig anything that his ass rides in, I got a little chapped is all. cause thats all I do here at the house is mig. all I've ever done at the house. so now I question myself and if I need to get a tig for home and all that blah blah...    dammit fabr, thanks    ???

Spec

« Reply #43 on: March 23, 2011, 09:53:20 PM »
SNOOP'S
Take a chill pill...I think what you missed IS
ALL OF FABR'S CHASSIS ARE CHRO-MO not Mild steel
Cho-mo pretty much needs to be tig'ed...or pre-heated he's not knocking mig...
He just bought a passport suitcase mig welder...
I give him some pointers to get started...I haven't played with it yet...
I DON'T DO THAT KIND OF WORK ANYMORE ;D
Just sayin 8)
Now I just talk shit and serve up tastee viddles to the local rednecks.....
Sending their taste buds into SPEC SHOCK LMAO LMAO LMAO LMAO LMAO

Snoopy

« Reply #44 on: March 23, 2011, 10:01:55 PM »
Got any cotton on a string.  Forgot he's cro-mo. been a bad week here. Shift work gets to ya

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal