Author Topic: crash - ouch -  (Read 14429 times)

Admin

Re: crash - ouch -
« Reply #45 on: May 06, 2009, 09:39:57 PM »
Hell the wheelie looked sweet, id love to do the exact same myself, And I likley would, But with some protective equip of course.. I dont believe operator error, coulda, shoulda, woulda, I believe sweet, do it again, next time were the proper equipment jackass :)

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
  • Wishin I was there. "Glamis"
« Reply #46 on: May 06, 2009, 09:42:21 PM »
The prerun tracks are common everywhere I have ever been.

People find a spot that lets them try to show off a particular move like a jump or in this case the wheelie and run the dogshit out of it.

I can see where the trialing arm breaking (or bending)  may have caused the buggy to dogleg sideways. But it may have also just bent from the side force. Need better video.

I agree you have to take a risk to push the limits. But psuhing the limits NOT using common safety gear is no excuse.

WHat this guy did is like motorcrossing without a helmet.

It cracks me up how many people do not wear helmets in a buggy. I don't like to but I do like it when I have cracked my head on a bar with the helmet on. I need a newer helmet though. Mine is old and should be retired.  Its HEAVY. Modern helmets are so much lighter if I can find one to fit my big head. (again get your minds out of the gutter!) ~
Your mission isn't to dive feet first into hell, but to make sure its crowded when you get there.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #47 on: May 06, 2009, 09:43:42 PM »
I think it occursat 21 seconds,just after it's lands from airborne over rise.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

artie on edge

« Reply #48 on: May 06, 2009, 09:47:34 PM »
I think it occursat 21 seconds,just after it's lands from airborne over rise.

+1

Offline Engineer

• Inquisitor
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #49 on: May 06, 2009, 09:53:59 PM »
I just can't figure out how both tires bend out 45 degrees.  They are that way through the last 3-4 barrel rolls and never change, even while the car falls on them very hard at the end.  I am just trying to figure out if it's a 5-link gone wrong, or trailing arms that just get bent out of shape early.  If you watch the last couple rolls as it is slowing down, they are bent, but are not flopping around.  Just stuck where they are.

Sorry for the hijack.

Carry on with the safety talk!

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
  • Wishin I was there. "Glamis"
« Reply #50 on: May 06, 2009, 09:58:21 PM »
You can see at about the 13-14 second point they are both toed in some (maybe to much? But still they are not bad) 

I would guess its a design flaw with the suspesnion that buckled the same under the rolling at the end.

Lotsa fancy cars out there that are not designed right either.
Your mission isn't to dive feet first into hell, but to make sure its crowded when you get there.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #51 on: May 06, 2009, 10:04:46 PM »
I have been just now told the guy had the car 2 days.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

artie on edge

« Reply #52 on: May 06, 2009, 10:18:23 PM »
I have been just now told the guy had the car 2 days.

somehow that doesnt surprise me.

No disrespect to purchasers of turn key machines, but a large cheque book is no guarantee of common sense or ability....

I think if you have lots of blood sweat and tears (good name for a band) invested in the beast you MAY also think a little more of the consequeances... (maybe not...)..

Just a rambling thought.... one of many...

Admin

« Reply #53 on: May 07, 2009, 06:04:45 AM »
somehow that doesnt surprise me.

No disrespect to purchasers of turn key machines, but a large cheque book is no guarantee of common sense or ability....

I think if you have lots of blood sweat and tears (good name for a band) invested in the beast you MAY also think a little more of the consequeances... (maybe not...)..

Just a rambling thought.... one of many...
bingo!!

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #54 on: May 07, 2009, 06:32:23 AM »
BUT!!! neither is a small checkbook.Money has NOTHING to do with common sense or the lack of. Just look at our Congress.LOL!!!!.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline T8erhead

• VIP
« Reply #55 on: May 07, 2009, 06:38:21 AM »
They reconnected his severed hand.  Here is the link to the news story. 
http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=6397867
All's well that ends well right?

The driver himself speaks about it saying how safe he was being with spotters and what not.  He claimed the rail performed well and saved his life.  I thought it was funny that the builder of the rail gets in on it saying it is unsafe at the dunes and we need more regulation.  I wonder if he put wrist restraints in it, before he sold it.  He had purchased the rail within the previous week, just to verify someone's comment.

artie on edge

« Reply #56 on: May 07, 2009, 07:39:26 AM »
BUT!!! neither is a small checkbook.Money has NOTHING to do with common sense or the lack of.

Im certainly in agreement BUT (theres always a but), a fabricator, (most of us here) will understand the consequeances of just how dangerous it is running these things over dunes through forrest tracks. Mainly because they have some form of mechanically sympathetic  background.

Some trader on wall street with a bucket of cash who thinks it might be fun to go buy one of things and head off to Glamis (sight unseen before) for the weekend, is (usually) unlikely to have the same understanding.

Im not talking about this guy, just generalising.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #57 on: May 07, 2009, 07:48:04 AM »
Im certainly in agreement BUT (theres always a but), a fabricator, (most of us here) will understand the consequeances of just how dangerous it is running these things over dunes through forrest tracks. Mainly because they have some form of mechanically sympathetic  background.

Some trader on wall street with a bucket of cash who thinks it might be fun to go buy one of things and head off to Glamis (sight unseen before) for the weekend, is (usually) unlikely to have the same understanding.

Im not talking about this guy, just generalising.
+1
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Engineer

• Inquisitor
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #58 on: May 07, 2009, 07:51:53 AM »
I think that you are right Artie.  It is like with motors.  The people that don't have a clue what is going on inside, and just believe that pushing the gas pedal somehow magically makes it go faster, have no problem running wide open endlessly.  I start cringing after sitting at redline for very long. ;D  I start thinking about rod bolts, and oil pumps, and holes in the block.  Sometimes "knowing" is a curse.

And then there is Enemy.......  Nothing I just said applies to him. ;)

SPEC

« Reply #59 on: May 07, 2009, 07:53:54 AM »
I have been hesitant to post on this...
I watched the vid a few times...
after wartching the news vid...the only one speaking that had any where near a reasonable comment was the DNR guy...
We have ALL done dumb shit...
We have all taken a quick spin in our buggies forgetting to put on the helmet and gear...Thinking BAAAAHHHH IT'S JUST A QUICKIE...
That in MY OPINION when your luck runs out...I don't use wrist restaints any more...Cuz I can't get them unhooked by myself...shot tendons...So I went to window nets...They haven't been installed yet since I can't drive the buggy anyway...
The bearhug yourself method...IS COMPLETELY LUDICROUS...Hard rolls with the G-force applied to your body will centrifically force your extremities out, plus it's human nature to reach out to stop the fall...
Let's not forget that g-force crashes make the brain in many instances temporarrily black out...so how you gonna remember to HUG your self while unconsious? You don't...Been there done that...Got a couple of broken fingers out of the deal...Hands smacking the cage...
Window nets are cheap... wrist restraints are cheap...Harnesses are cheap...
The time it takes to put them on/up/hooked...is only a few seconds each
But for us to take the time and spend the money.....OFTEN IS THE SLOWEST...MOST TIME CONSUMING ORDEAL...Many times after having to heal up ::)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal