Author Topic: crash - ouch -  (Read 14430 times)

Offline fastcorvairs

• Lifetime VIP
  • If it is worth doing!!!!!! Do it in the sand
Re: crash - ouch -
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2009, 10:20:37 AM »

If I believe I cannot do something it makes me incapable of doing it. But when I believe that I can, then I acquire the ability to do it , even if I didn't have it at the beginning.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2009, 10:57:33 AM »
I know what your saying Glen.  What if's get you nowhere.

I just think that there was a mechanical problem that caused the car to go hard right, then roll.  The front wheels were straight.  Chalking it up to driver error and saying he was careless makes everyone feel good, because that can't happen to them.  It is possible that there were circumstances beyond his control.

I haven't taken the Sand Safety Training, but I am pretty certain that within 100 yards of passing the gate I have broken some of their safety rules, and that is just the way it's gonna be.  Wear your safety gear and drive within reason and hope for the best.  I get a sick feeling EVERY time I top a dune blind.  One reason I want a cage.  But I am not under the illusion that the cage guarantees safety.
I agree completely and can only add that unless you are in an open area free of obstructions where you can SEE what is coming your way then a person should use common sense and use safety gear. Let's admit it and get it over with --THESE BUGGIES THAT MANY OF US BUILD ARE RACE CARS AND SHOULD BE TREATED AS SUCH. That includes requiring passengers to be wearing helmets/5 points and arm restraints as a minimum. I know full well when my buggy is done I'll have to listen to those wanting a ride whine about that requirement but ----WHAT IF something goes wrong? I don't want to kill or maim anyone. MYSELF ,I can risk but IMO I have no right to risk hurting others when I know better.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2009, 10:58:26 AM »
Not saying he was stupid or anything but if your planing on doing 80 to 90 MPH on your back two wheels you better be wearing all the safety gear you can put on. ::) ::)
Couldn't have said it better!
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2009, 11:11:09 AM »
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline BDKW1

« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2009, 02:34:06 PM »
Eh, I'm been through some pretty violent rolls and have always been able to give Myself the old bear hug. The trick is knowing when your hosed and getting your arms into position before you start spinning to fast.

Offline Yummi

• Grumpy, Sneezey and Dopey all rolled into one.
  • Administration
    • Jeeping With Dogs
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2009, 02:39:27 PM »
We use outside arm straps and always tell folks - if it feels like it is going over - hold onto the belts....   maybe both arms should get a strap?   He lost his RIGHT hand not his left.
I like things that move.   Pretty much limits me to cars and strippers

Did you know I have a blog?  Come on now, it is 2016, everybody does.  http://www.jeepingwithdogs.com

artie on edge

« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2009, 04:57:20 PM »
  This is only IMO       

In looking at it in slow mo you can see at the 21 and 22 second frame that the car turns from a straight line run to about a 20 degree turn with the front end still off the ground.  (Possible axle brake) Then you can see in frame 23 that when the front tires come down they are aliened straight with the car not turned in the direction the car is traveling in. Then it is a typical off throttle rear end slide that he can not regain controll of.  If he had had full control (of car and senses) and throttled hard he mite could have powered out of it.

Let the what ifs Begin.

I dont think so, if you watch closely hes doing the wheelie and crosses and angled ridge and turns or twists off that under power.... he couldnt see it cause his nose was up... just basic stupidity really. Im sorry he got hurt but he hurt himself through his lack of safety gear etc. Even if it was a mechanical failure... no safey gear while playing at a dangerous sport equals an unpleasant out come. Lets face it guys, this IS a dangerous sport. Last year Fabr lost a friend in the dunes. Its no place for complacency.

artie on edge

« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2009, 05:02:45 PM »
When I crashed the doorslammer wrist/arm restraints weren't even heard of and the most vivid memory I have of it is feeling myself helpless to stop my arms from flying outside of the roll cage. Once available I never raced without them-ever.

Im gonna add a plus 58 here.. Ive had my buggy over twice and its easy to say bear hug etc.. it isnt easy to do when inertia has your limbs going in all directions.... I use restraints and window nets. THERE IS NO OPTION.

I have never been hurt apart from a bruise on my knee from hitting under the dash, and, if you havent wrecked it, you aint going fast enough.... (read that somewhere on here I think).

Funny one (2nd over) car rolled and rolled and then all went quiet..ok, thats over time to undo the belts and get out to see whats broke... then it all started again (luckily before I had undone the belts), bloody thing was in the air and I was disorientated.. then it came down and finished off...  :-[

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2009, 05:35:25 PM »
We use outside arm straps and always tell folks - if it feels like it is going over - hold onto the belts....   maybe both arms should get a strap?   He lost his RIGHT hand not his left.
They fly out the top a well as the side.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2009, 05:36:10 PM »
Eh, I'm been through some pretty violent rolls and have always been able to give Myself the old bear hug. The trick is knowing when your hosed and getting your arms into position before you start spinning to fast.
Ok, to each his own Hurcules. ;D
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2009, 05:36:47 PM »
I dont think so, if you watch closely hes doing the wheelie and crosses and angled ridge and turns or twists off that under power.... he couldnt see it cause his nose was up... just basic stupidity really. Im sorry he got hurt but he hurt himself through his lack of safety gear etc. Even if it was a mechanical failure... no safey gear while playing at a dangerous sport equals an unpleasant out come. Lets face it guys, this IS a dangerous sport. Last year Fabr lost a friend in the dunes. Its no place for complacency.
I agree.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2009, 05:39:29 PM »
Im gonna add a plus 58 here.. Ive had my buggy over twice and its easy to say bear hug etc.. it isnt easy to do when inertia has your limbs going in all directions.... I use restraints and window nets. THERE IS NO OPTION.

I have never been hurt apart from a bruise on my knee from hitting under the dash, and, if you havent wrecked it, you aint going fast enough.... (read that somewhere on here I think).

Funny one (2nd over) car rolled and rolled and then all went quiet..ok, thats over time to undo the belts and get out to see whats broke... then it all started again (luckily before I had undone the belts), bloody thing was in the air and I was disorientated.. then it came down and finished off...  :-[
BTDT!!! I will admit I WAS able to pull my arms in and FINALLY get a grip onto the shoulder straps but not in time to have saved an arm or whatever if the timing had been right/wrong.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
  • Wishin I was there. "Glamis"
« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2009, 12:50:08 PM »
If you look between the 22 second and more so at the 23 second mark you can see that he hits a little bump and the rear passenger tire comes off the ground. But you can still see roost off of the rear drivers side tire.

So hes under full power trying to hold the catwalk (long wheelie) as far as possible. With that kind of power being applied to only one side of the car while its front is airborne the car starts to crest sideways and by the time the car comes back done its all over but momentum.

LOVE the comentary.
Your mission isn't to dive feet first into hell, but to make sure its crowded when you get there.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2009, 01:13:12 PM »
If you look between the 22 second and more so at the 23 second mark you can see that he hits a little bump and the rear passenger tire comes off the ground. But you can still see roost off of the rear drivers side tire.

So hes under full power trying to hold the catwalk (long wheelie) as far as possible. With that kind of power being applied to only one side of the car while its front is airborne the car starts to crest sideways and by the time the car comes back done its all over but momentum.

LOVE the comentary.
The vid was so blurry for me I'm not sure of anything but I agree with this.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Wyattboche

« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2009, 04:54:39 PM »
WTF how does he know where he's going? I'm guessing he didn't. lucky nobody else was coming the other direction

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal